Tolko site

pommiepainter

Tolko site

Post by pommiepainter »

Apologies if there is already a thread on this, please feel free to merge. I was reading the website for the new Tolko Mill Site consultation process, and one of the companies involved is the same company that created/redeveloped Granville Island. Got me wondering, how great it would be to have a Granville Island type set up on the old Tolko mill site. I'm thinking it would be a great extension of downtown, kind of 'spread it out' a bit, for want of a better description!

I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this idea????

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ons#353962
seewood
Guru

Re: Tolko site

Post by seewood »

pommiepainter wrote: Dec 8th, 2021, 9:20 am I was reading the website for the new Tolko Mill Site consultation process, and one of the companies involved is the same company that created/redeveloped Granville Island. Got me wondering, how great it would be to have a Granville Island type set up on the old Tolko mill site. I'm thinking it would be a great extension of downtown, kind of 'spread it out' a bit, for want of a better description!
Wonder if the developers could get a return on their investment with corresponding rents.
If it will be like Granville Island, will it come with the corresponding lack of parking? Something to that old bumper sticker: " I found a parking spot on Granville Island"
I am not wealthy but I am rich
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/3 ... plan-right

This is an absolute twist on reality as presented. The Stanley Park Seawall is is about 10 km in total length. I have no idea of what route this deceptive letter writer is attempting to foist on the public but it is a lie in an attempt to cajole the less inclined to verify real facts.
The letter writer posts,
For inspiration, the city can look to Vancouver's extremely successful 28-kilometre long Seawall

The Seawall is a long established path. It is approx. 10km in length. What the letter writer tried to add another 18 km\s to in the Length of the Seawall behooves me and just sounds like an agenda to gain support for tax dollar participation.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

twobits wrote: Dec 8th, 2021, 6:06 pm The Seawall is a long established path. It is approx. 10km in length. What the letter writer tried to add another 18 km\s to in the Length of the Seawall behooves me and just sounds like an agenda to gain support for tax dollar participation.
Vancouver has the world's longest uninterrupted waterfront path. The 28 km Seaside Greenway is an uninterrupted pathway, including the Stanley Park Seawall, that extends from the Vancouver Convention Centre to Spanish Banks Park. Perfect for a walk, cycle, or jog, it is the most popular recreational spot in the city.
https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-c ... awall.aspx
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I seem to remember from running days, the sea wall circuit was about 11 kms.
Anyway, this author of the letter might have forgotten the seawall surrounds a park. The Tolko site is privately owned.

Who owns the Kelowna mill site?
The development and planning initiative for the Kelowna Mill Site property is being managed through Holar Developments Ltd. Holar Developments is 100% owned by Timber Investments Ltd., the same family business which owns TOLKO.
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

seewood wrote: Dec 8th, 2021, 9:23 pm I seem to remember from running days, the sea wall circuit was about 11 kms.
Yes.
Back in the day, we used to say that the Stanley Park Seawall was 7 miles.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^ :up: :130: very little traffic in the 70's on the wall.
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

seewood wrote: Dec 8th, 2021, 9:35 pm ^^ :up: :130: very little traffic in the 70's on the wall.
Or the 80's.
Great for bird watching.
Or watch the submarine races. :D
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Anyone else notice that the development company is a sister company of Tolko ?

Holar Developments, a Tolko Industries sister company, is managing the development of the property at 820/945 Guy Street and 804/814 Manhattan Drive.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

That is very common.
Bring back the LIKE button.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

Ever since Tolko closed the mill there has been nothing but rumours & speculation about the development of the site.
The Thorlakson family owns this property & local citizens won't hear what the City & Holar group decide the end result will be until this 18-month study is complete ?
The stories of a Grandville Island type of setting were months ago, where did that idea come from because the plywood building has since been removed ?
I'm sure lots more unfounded wacky stories will surface before long ?
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

MAPearce wrote: Dec 8th, 2021, 9:41 pm Anyone else notice that the development company is a sister company of Tolko ?

Holar Developments, a Tolko Industries sister company, is managing the development of the property at 820/945 Guy Street and 804/814 Manhattan Drive.
With alll the properties they own and the rate of mill closures, I’d make sure I had a development company ready to go as well.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

First priority should have been another sawmill, but that was a pipe dream and a half. Next priority should be an approach for a second bridge crossing, regardless of how expensive or high profile the land is, but that wont happen either. It will be a hyper-expensive, overbuilt, master planned, exclusive community that will be sold out before the shovels even hit the ground. Its the last easy opportunity to build a second crossing, but doesn't matter, because moneyed up Albertans!
Last edited by bigtimeoperations on Dec 9th, 2021, 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

one wheel wrote: Dec 9th, 2021, 12:11 pm The stories of a Grandville Island type of setting were months ago, where did that idea come from because the plywood building has since been removed ?
It was sad to see that go, nice solid building that could have been reused for something, instead of going to waste. It was massive, one of the largest buildings in town.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

twobits wrote: Dec 8th, 2021, 6:06 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/3 ... plan-right

This is an absolute twist on reality as presented. The Stanley Park Seawall is is about 10 km in total length. I have no idea of what route this deceptive letter writer is attempting to foist on the public but it is a lie in an attempt to cajole the less inclined to verify real facts.
The letter writer posts,
For inspiration, the city can look to Vancouver's extremely successful 28-kilometre long Seawall

The Seawall is a long established path. It is approx. 10km in length. What the letter writer tried to add another 18 km\s to in the Length of the Seawall behooves me and just sounds like an agenda to gain support for tax dollar participation.
The entire Stanley Park Greenway is about 28 kilometres. The Seawall portion of it is about 9 kilometres.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou

Return to “Central Okanagan”