Homeless on the streets

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Homeless on the streets

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

firsttimecaller wrote: Apr 14th, 2022, 1:46 pm
dscarson wrote: Apr 14th, 2022, 12:31 am How many of the 297 homeless folk that were counted are actually from this area. Seems to me a lot of them are not. Is building housing for 297 people not just opening up kelownas door for 297 new ones. We have been putting millions into supportive housing and accomplished nothing. Why build any more? Why fund shelters. Where is the data saying any of them are recovered, back working , contributing in their community. Does anybody have any success stories they would like to share with me regarding this that would support continuing on with this cash cow? I don't mind helping a struggling person from my community, even drug addicted or mental illness what ever but Kelowna shouldnt be a dumping ground for other cities.
Nailed it.

If you build it, they will come. We've turned this city into a cesspool.
Damn, you beat me to it.
Built it and they will come.

Kelowna is not the only cesspool. It's the same in Kamloops, where I live as well as every community in BC.

Our politicians have let us down.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
spooker

Post by spooker »

BC Landlord wrote: Apr 14th, 2022, 5:57 pm For the vast majority of homeless people, homelessness is a result of their mental illness (I.e. addictions). It’s almost never the other way around. So, providing them with housing is absolutely of no help. It’s just for politicians to make them look good.
Nice to keep it simple so you can easily ignore it ... sounds like you haven't read any of the studies about the causes of homelessness which describe how it's not any one single thing ...

https://cubetoronto.com/kelowna/why-are ... n-kelowna/
https://www.haventoronto.ca/single-post ... melessness
bb49 wrote: Apr 14th, 2022, 7:14 pm Damn, you beat me to it.
Built it and they will come.

Kelowna is not the only cesspool. It's the same in Kamloops, where I live as well as every community in BC.

Our politicians have let us down.
You're right, our government hasn't done enough to help get people lifted back up out of homelessness ...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

spooked wrote: Apr 14th, 2022, 7:24 pm You're right, our government hasn't done enough to help get people lifted back up out of homelessness ...
What exactly are you thinking the government should do more of.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
spooker

Post by spooker »

GordonH wrote: Apr 14th, 2022, 8:48 pm
spooked wrote: Apr 14th, 2022, 7:24 pm You're right, our government hasn't done enough to help get people lifted back up out of homelessness ...
More support, more services, more affordable housing ... don't let people fall so far that all they have left is a cart full of clothes and random bits ...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

spooker wrote: Apr 15th, 2022, 5:13 am

More support, more services, more affordable housing ... don't let people fall so far that all they have left is a cart full of clothes and random bits ...
And they still won't use these services that are placed at their feet. They would rather sleep in a tent than follow rules.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Post by 1092 »

I've spoken to a lot of these street people and about 3% are from kelowna, the rest are from every corner of canada. There are a few ways of helping this situation, the people with drug addictions, put them into rehab for 3 months, when the experts treating them know they are cured, release them and let them know,,if you are caught again, you will go to jail and also offer them their fare back to their home town. If kelowna is the charity pot, these people will never change their ways. The people selling and pushing fentanyl, if arrested and convicted, minimum 10yrs in jail this is a big part of the problem.
Last edited by ferri on Apr 16th, 2022, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Do not post in all uppercase please. Thank you.

Post by 1092 »

I would like to comment on the homeless, a report stated that 25% of the homeless were indigenous, well will someone take a look at all the houses on west shore estates most over a million dollars, why are this 25% not being looked after by the West kelowna indian band.
Last edited by ferri on Apr 16th, 2022, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Posted in all uppercase.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

spooker wrote: Apr 15th, 2022, 5:13 am

I’m guessing you are okay with substantial tax increases to pay for this.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Lynn K
Fledgling

Post by Lynn K »

1092, please stop "yelling".
It makes for difficult reading.
Lynn K
Fledgling

Post by Lynn K »

People cannot be merely removed from their life, regardless of the conditions they choose, and forced into rehab.
Many of these people would like to be helped, but the beds aren't there.
Putting more resources into rehab that allow for easy admission by those who want it may assist a solution.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

For the last 5 years or more Kelowna residents have been deluged from September until March with news articles that we need shelters & more shelters & even though these have been built it's never enough & the problem persists with no end in sight ?
Not every person is addicted & may only need a bit of help, while others require serious treatment but the plan seems to be to bundle them warehouse style & hope for the best ?
IMO it's become a good paying make work project that keeps providing more incentives for the homeless to come here.
Who would turn down free everything & have zero accountability ?
northglenmore2012
Fledgling

Post by northglenmore2012 »

The business of the poor isn't good business its GREAT business.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

northglenmore2012 wrote: Apr 16th, 2022, 1:23 pm The business of the poor isn't good business its GREAT business.
Got me by a few minutes.

been saying it for years now.

Homelessness is big business. A big hamster wheel of cash.

How about, Don't feed the wildlife and they won't hang around.

Make it miserable for them. Tough love !

Shape up or ship out.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 16th, 2022, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 16th, 2022, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.

Return to “Central Okanagan”