Homeless on the streets

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Homeless on the streets

Post by alanjh595 »

Iamme wrote: Apr 29th, 2022, 11:00 pm
soupy wrote: Apr 29th, 2022, 1:25 pm

Ding ding ding. I know someone who's company has to go into BC Housing complexes to repair damage (quite regularly).
Give them free housing, they are getting high and tearing drywall and fixtures off the walls. Only for tax payers to fix it and for it to happen again.
Much like every public bathroom anywhere nowadays.
Yes. It’s a free for all. Pun intended. Correct me if I’m wrong, there is no personal responsibility, nor do they keep their ‘free’ homes clean. This model doesn’t work. How about making people have real consequences again. Enough of the bleeding heart program. It’s not working. Let’s do tough love again.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Bring back the LIKE button.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Gixxer wrote: Apr 29th, 2022, 1:10 pm Michael Shellenberger author of San Fransicko nails the homeless situation in San Francisco. Also Dr Drew gives great insights on the homeless in L.A.

Basically it's a drug addiction problem, not a housing problem. Giving free or affordable housing won't fix the problems.
bingo, we have a winner
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
EC49

Post by EC49 »

What is needed is a facility something like the old Riverview Hospital in Coquitlam. We need to build institutions, what are we waiting for? There are buildings that could be converted for this purpose, even temporarily. Everyone deserves to be warm and fed and safe. Why do we treat stray animals with more kindness than humans? If we see an animal in need of care, something is done. If we see a human in need of care, we look the other way. If someone is staggering down Bernard howling at the moon, why can't they be taken away for assessment? If someone is doing drugs in plain sight, why can't they be taken away for assessment? Why is it okay that I can no longer take out of town guests downtown for a lakeside walk and then a meal? Why is it okay that I can not take my grandkids to parks or beaches? It would be nice to feel safe. It is time to help people who need help and maybe jail time for some others. End of rant.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Gixxer wrote: Apr 29th, 2022, 1:10 pm Michael Shellenberger author of San Fransicko nails the homeless situation in San Francisco. Also Dr Drew gives great insights on the homeless in L.A.

Basically it's a drug addiction problem, not a housing problem. Giving free or affordable housing won't fix the problems.
True, housing by itself won't cure addiction. But if someone's going to get sober, they're not going to do it while sleeping in a shelter (or on the street) every night. Any type of recovery requires safe, stable housing as a foundation.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

EC49 wrote: Apr 30th, 2022, 1:01 pm What is needed is a facility something like the old Riverview Hospital in Coquitlam. We need to build institutions, what are we waiting for? There are buildings that could be converted for this purpose, even temporarily. Everyone deserves to be warm and fed and safe. Why do we treat stray animals with more kindness than humans? If we see an animal in need of care, something is done. If we see a human in need of care, we look the other way. If someone is staggering down Bernard howling at the moon, why can't they be taken away for assessment? If someone is doing drugs in plain sight, why can't they be taken away for assessment? Why is it okay that I can no longer take out of town guests downtown for a lakeside walk and then a meal? Why is it okay that I can not take my grandkids to parks or beaches? It would be nice to feel safe. It is time to help people who need help and maybe jail time for some others. End of rant.
So you want to force people to get help that they dont want. Government tried forcing people to do things against their will for the past two years and it hasnt worked out to well. Personally i would rather see my tax dollars helping animals in distress.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

ABSOLUTELY force some people into rehab. 100 times over. They are not in thier right minds and refuse to abide by societies rules. If they break the law, or cannot provide themselves with basic necessities for life, deem them mentally incapable, and HELP them. Just like we do for people with public guardian trustee who takes control of people's money. This is NOT unheard of in today's society. Let's stop the cycle that is DESTROYING our society for everyone right now.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Graphite wrote: Apr 30th, 2022, 5:18 pm ABSOLUTELY force some people into rehab. 100 times over. They are not in thier right minds and refuse to abide by societies rules. If they break the law, or cannot provide themselves with basic necessities for life, deem them mentally incapable, and HELP them. Just like we do for people with public guardian trustee who takes control of people's money. This is NOT unheard of in today's society. Let's stop the cycle that is DESTROYING our society for everyone right now.
You can't forcefully fix someone who doesn't want to be fixed they will leave wherever you put them and do drugs they have to want to quit.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Graphite wrote: Apr 30th, 2022, 5:18 pm ABSOLUTELY force some people into rehab. 100 times over. They are not in thier right minds and refuse to abide by societies rules. If they break the law, or cannot provide themselves with basic necessities for life, deem them mentally incapable, and HELP them. Just like we do for people with public guardian trustee who takes control of people's money. This is NOT unheard of in today's society. Let's stop the cycle that is DESTROYING our society for everyone right now.
No one will fund this, our government has no idea how to run such a facility, and at best it would be a merry-go-round of incarceration, release, incarceration.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

JayByrd wrote: Apr 30th, 2022, 1:49 pm

True, housing by itself won't cure addiction. But if someone's going to get sober, they're not going to do it while sleeping in a shelter (or on the street) every night. Any type of recovery requires safe, stable housing as a foundation.
crime around wet facilities goes up and they all have a warm place to call their own, you are clueless
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

the truth wrote: Apr 30th, 2022, 6:06 pm
crime around wet facilities goes up and they all have a warm place to call their own, you are clueless
I agree. But close the facilities, and the people will do all the same things. They won't disappear. And anyways, I'm not talking about wet facilities.

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 1st, 2022, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 1st, 2022, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
EC49

Post by EC49 »

Boosted632 wrote: Apr 30th, 2022, 3:01 pm
EC49 wrote: Apr 30th, 2022, 1:01 pm What is needed is a facility something like the old Riverview Hospital in Coquitlam. We need to build institutions, what are we waiting for? There are buildings that could be converted for this purpose, even temporarily. Everyone deserves to be warm and fed and safe. Why do we treat stray animals with more kindness than humans? If we see an animal in need of care, something is done. If we see a human in need of care, we look the other way. If someone is staggering down Bernard howling at the moon, why can't they be taken away for assessment? If someone is doing drugs in plain sight, why can't they be taken away for assessment? Why is it okay that I can no longer take out of town guests downtown for a lakeside walk and then a meal? Why is it okay that I can not take my grandkids to parks or beaches? It would be nice to feel safe. It is time to help people who need help and maybe jail time for some others. End of rant.
So you want to force people to get help that they dont want. Government tried forcing people to do things against their will for the past two years and it hasnt worked out to well. Personally i would rather see my tax dollars helping animals in distress.
Sad to say, yes, it is time to force people into care if that is what they need. Take a look at Vancouver Eastside. Is this where we are headed?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

we are already there imo..
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

the truth wrote: Apr 30th, 2022, 6:06 pm
JayByrd wrote: Apr 30th, 2022, 1:49 pm

There are NO facts to support that statement.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Central Okanagan”