Okanagan Living/Lifestyle, what does that mean?

seewood
Guru

Re: Okanagan Living/Lifestyle, what does that mean?

Post by seewood »

rookie314 wrote: Mar 4th, 2022, 10:18 am It means you can buy a 1.5 million dollar home, have a ski pass at Big White, pay 130 bucks for a round of golf, drink the right wines, pay 30.00 for a cheeseburger, have a 2500 dollar mountain bike, own an 70000 dollar ski boat and make minimum wage.
Close, I'd venture to guess it might be a bit more that min wage though, not much, but a bit more. paycheque to paycheque to make the payments.

Okanagan lifestyles and living is different for many. I lived in the Penticton area in the 80's and noticed a difference by the time I left in 91. Returned in 98 and in some respects there have been some changes in things to do. Smoke Bluffs and 3 Blind Mice trails never existed in the 80's Nor did Nickel Plate really. I used to get the forestry track setter and track set the forestry trails voluntarily in the 80's. Now it's a mecca for snow shoe aficionados.
Local politics have not changed one iota really. Some are always complaining about something. Demographics have moved to more senior living from the 80's.
We like living here but are blessed that during the smoky summers we have the opportunity to bail out to the coast for a couple of weeks. Petty crime is over the top compared to the 80's. Some neighbours have mentioned they have considered moving to a less crime, less smoke, less traffic ridden area. Where that is, not sure with the amenities we have here.

Kelowna, you can have the traffic and lack of public beach, lack of public dog friendly beaches, continual strip malls with cheesy cheap food outlets... But that is just my opinion :D
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

eating caviar or Kraft Dinner
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

bigtimeoperations wrote: Mar 4th, 2022, 4:21 pm It means living in a world class home in a world class neighborhood, visiting world class wineries and world class golf courses while your children attend their world class school. And looking down on others who do not live here. Its pretty disgusting, these people need help.

You should see these people on Instagram, oh my god. Fitness bros/broettes that moved here from Alberta and post photos of a Kelowna view/vista with some lame brain quote. "I love living and breathing this view :sunshine:" Often there will be hashtags like #okgnlifestyle or #ilivehere?! And then their stupid Alberta friends will comment on how badly they want to move here. Another common post is a weather app screenshot of the Kelowna forecast next to another screenshot of an Alberta forecast and how much nicer the weather is here and how its minus 100 in Alberta. Of course it will be accompanied by another lame brain quote "I shoulda moved here sooner".
You seem to be forgetting all the people that are from BC doing the same or worse…..like BC doesn’t produce their own idiots and morons. Walk into the cactus club, that sums up Kelowna….steroids and tattoos
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

vegas1500 wrote: Mar 4th, 2022, 9:52 pm
bigtimeoperations wrote: Mar 4th, 2022, 4:21 pm It means living in a world class home in a world class neighborhood, visiting world class wineries and world class golf courses while your children attend their world class school. And looking down on others who do not live here. Its pretty disgusting, these people need help.

You should see these people on Instagram, oh my god. Fitness bros/broettes that moved here from Alberta and post photos of a Kelowna view/vista with some lame brain quote. "I love living and breathing this view :sunshine:" Often there will be hashtags like #okgnlifestyle or #ilivehere?! And then their stupid Alberta friends will comment on how badly they want to move here. Another common post is a weather app screenshot of the Kelowna forecast next to another screenshot of an Alberta forecast and how much nicer the weather is here and how its minus 100 in Alberta. Of course it will be accompanied by another lame brain quote "I shoulda moved here sooner".
You seem to be forgetting all the people that are from BC doing the same or worse…..like BC doesn’t produce their own idiots and idiots. Walk into the cactus club, that sums up Kelowna….steroids and tattoos
...........you forgot local Kelowna gold diggers and skanks.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I moved here on a Greyhound bus with a suitcase and a box when I was 17. Been here ever since. The Okanagan lifestyle is everything. What do you like to do? It's here. And for people like me who prefer the bush it's a 15 minute drive in any direction and you're there. I won a quad adventure on the radio several years ago and when I went I was shocked by the number of people who lived here for years that had never been up in the mountains. They were amazed at the view and the beauty. Do people not realize what a paradise we have to explore? Take full advantage of our privilege.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Boarder4
Fledgling

Post by Boarder4 »

Definitely enough mid to late 30’s women walking around with their “Okanagan Lifestyle “ sweat shirts and “Okanagan Lifestyle” Stickers on the back windows of their vehicles. Most of them probably recently moved from Alberta or Saskatchewan
marvin gardens
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by marvin gardens »

The Okanagan Lifestyle....
How about this quote from young Kerkoff, involved in the family high rise construction in Kelowna.
Go the the gym and then a quick breakfast.
Early afternoon out on the boat and then a relaxing barbecue with family and friends
Other clues to the "lifestyle"
Car decals that read: "No Bad Days"
Driving a high end car that you don't really own but pretend you do.
The latest glam vehicles? Range Rovers and MB Galendewagens...
BMW's are passe' :D
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

No bad days is a Cabo thing. Or at least that's how it started many years ago.
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

69cutlass wrote: Mar 3rd, 2022, 8:51 pm They are trying to sell something from 10 to 20 years ago when it actually meant something.
Sadly, summer suburban snobbery?

Unfortunate, because the valley has more to offer than some cliché advertisement.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

It sounds better than "work two jobs to try and make ends meet lifestyle
" Living the dream"
Sorry but I agree with those who say it is overrated.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Quick access to the outdoors.
World class hiking and mtn bike trails
keep your swim shorts and towel in your car, very easy to find a spot you can throw these on a do a quick 15 minute dip in the lake when the mood strikes you.
in the winter, I have my boots and will swing by one of several places for a stomp through the snow to get my heart rate up and give myself a mental health break. It's never that cold here - I'm from the prairies, it is not cold here.
4 seasons
moderate traffic - if you're from a big city. I get how small towners see Kelowna traffic as an issue - all perspective.
Kelowna is a small city, everything is close.
Great community feel in the 2 homes we've had. Set a chair up in your drive way with a cooler and next thing you know, mini drive way party with your neighbors. Never experienced that back home.
Castanet draws all the negative nellies like moths to a flame. Keep your glass half full and chuckle at those that dwell on their perceived negatives. Life's too short.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Steve-O wrote: Mar 8th, 2022, 6:37 am Quick access to the outdoors.

Like every place in Canada (with the possible exception of Prairies)

World class hiking and mtn bike trails

Like almost every other place in BC, including those with half the housing costs.

keep your swim shorts and towel in your car, very easy to find a spot you can throw these on a do a quick 15 minute dip in the lake when the mood strikes you.

Woopty doo! 60% of the lakes in the world are in Canada, so 90% of the country could say the same.

in the winter, I have my boots and will swing by one of several places for a stomp through the snow to get my heart rate up and give myself a mental health break. It's never that cold here - I'm from the prairies, it is not cold here.

You can do that anywhere else in the BC interior. In many cases far easier.

4 seasons

What the hell does this even mean?? With the exception of the BC coast where they don't get winter everyone gets 4 seasons.

moderate traffic - if you're from a big city. I get how small towners see Kelowna traffic as an issue - all perspective.
Kelowna is a small city, everything is close.

I can see this one, although, when I did live in Vancouver I didn't have to deal with traffic because I always took the SkyTrain and bus.

Great community feel in the 2 homes we've had. Set a chair up in your drive way with a cooler and next thing you know, mini drive way party with your neighbors. Never experienced that back home.
Castanet draws all the negative nellies like moths to a flame. Keep your glass half full and chuckle at those that dwell on their perceived negatives. Life's too short.

With the exception of Vancouver and Alberta, people have been very friendly. I've lived in several towns in the BC interior and enjoyed them all emensely.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Very few mosquitos! :biggrin:
I haven't failed until I quit.
John Crawford
Fledgling

Post by John Crawford »

Tile should read Surviving, if you don't work for the city or interior health (management), you are surviving
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Lady tehMa wrote: Mar 8th, 2022, 8:38 am Very few mosquitos! :biggrin:
Now we are talking!! Huge advantage there!
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Central Okanagan”