Temporary Help

one wheel
Übergod

Temporary Help

Post by one wheel »

Sometimes when you'd like a helping hand & don't want to impose on family or friends here's a suggestion.
I needed a couple of helpers for moving & called Labour Unlimited located at 1787 Harvey Ave. - 250 - 717 - 0502 & they provided me with 2 wonderful fellows.
They did everything & it went so well.
How it works is you take your credit card to them & they handle everything, they look after WCB, taxes & paying the workers. You fill in the time sheets for the hours worked & you're done.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Temporary Help

Post by MAPearce »

Just a question . How much did it cost you per hour for them to provide their workers how much per hour ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

I hired them last September & the rate then was $29.95 per person per hour.
I moved on a Wednesday while family & friends were working so getting these people during the day was the solution.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

we use them from time to time at work. we pay like 30 bucks an hour to the company and they get 15 bucks an hour to work . it is hit or miss as to who you get . for sure there are some good workers but there are also some shady people and some guys who dont really want to work . it is a last resort for us to use the temp labour places .
Psychoclam

Post by Psychoclam »

I have also called Freedom's Door recovery house and they have a work program that I used twice for moving. I said how many guys I needed. I had to rent a truck and pick them up but they were great. I paid them 25$ per hour but you can choose to pay minimum wage if you wanted (no agency taking their money). I thought it was a good alternative to the temp agencies as the workers were actively working on getting their life on track and not looking for quick money to spend on substances.
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

Psychoclam wrote: Apr 18th, 2022, 11:35 am I have also called Freedom's Door recovery house and they have a work program that I used twice for moving. I said how many guys I needed. I had to rent a truck and pick them up but they were great. I paid them 25$ per hour but you can choose to pay minimum wage if you wanted (no agency taking their money). I thought it was a good alternative to the temp agencies as the workers were actively working on getting their life on track and not looking for quick money to spend on substances.
Is that for all kinds of work? I need some outside help shoveling rocks?
Psychoclam

Post by Psychoclam »

I believe that it's any work. I am sure that they also get some skilled workers. I guess it just depends on who is in program at any given time. For general labour it should be pretty easy.
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

Psychoclam wrote: Apr 18th, 2022, 11:55 am I believe that it's any work. I am sure that they also get some skilled workers. I guess it just depends on who is in program at any given time. For general labour it should be pretty easy.
Thank you
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

The_quiet_one wrote: Apr 18th, 2022, 11:43 am Is that for all kinds of work? I need some outside help shoveling rocks?
Anything that doesn't need special skills. Say working heights, or electrical, or power tools

You need to supervise them otherwise they tend to milk their hours by working slow.

It's always a lottery who you get. Can be a super helpful guy in between jobs or a homeless person who is as useful as concrete shoes.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

You won't get value for your $$ for anyone that requires any kinda skill.

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 18th, 2022, 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Personal attack
Bring back the LIKE button.
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

Even Steven wrote: Apr 18th, 2022, 1:17 pm
The_quiet_one wrote: Apr 18th, 2022, 11:43 am Is that for all kinds of work? I need some outside help shoveling rocks?
Anything that doesn't need special skills. Say working heights, or electrical, or power tools

You need to supervise them otherwise they tend to milk their hours by working slow.

It's always a lottery who you get. Can be a super helpful guy in between jobs or a homeless person who is as useful as concrete shoes.
Ok. Thank you. Ya, I thought if I got a load of small rocks dropped off, they could buy it in my back yard yard between trees, ya know. 25 an hour maybe 🤷‍♀️
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The_quiet_one wrote: Apr 18th, 2022, 1:59 pm
Even Steven wrote: Apr 18th, 2022, 1:17 pm

Ok. Thank you. Ya, I thought if I got a load of small rocks dropped off, they could buy it in my back yard yard between trees, ya know. 25 an hour maybe 🤷‍♀️
How many yards in that load? Do you have a wheelbarrow?

I will ask my landscapers when they come around this Thursday and ask if someone wants to make some cash on the weekend.

PM me if you are interested.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

The_quiet_one wrote: Apr 18th, 2022, 1:59 pm Ok. Thank you. Ya, I thought if I got a load of small rocks dropped off, they could buy it in my back yard yard between trees, ya know. 25 an hour maybe 🤷‍♀️
They sure can, but once again it's somewhat of a lottery.

Also, you have to pay them a minimum number of hours - I can't remember what it is.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

just call a landscape company, lots of local ones that don't charge much
*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 18th, 2022, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

I’ve priced out the rock, and the best place is dogwoods, and will pay to have it delivered. I just can’t move any of it.
No, I don’t have a wheel barrel. I’d have to rent one.

Return to “Central Okanagan”