...And another tower

casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

...And another tower

Post by casey60 »

Just read another tower approved. And of course the height has been increased. The developer received a variance. I have nothing against sustained development. Does mayor and council ever check for who these towers are build? My understanding, not for the average citizen of Kelowna.
Elections coming up this fall. IMHO its time Kelowna council needs a clean sweep. New mayor and new blood. New ideas.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: ...And another tower

Post by the truth »

casey60 wrote: May 12th, 2022, 4:05 pm Just read another tower approved. And of course the height has been increased. The developer received a variance. I have nothing against sustained development. Does mayor and council ever check for who these towers are build? My understanding, not for the average citizen of Kelowna.
Elections coming up this fall. IMHO its time Kelowna council needs a clean sweep. New mayor and new blood. New ideas.
friends of friends making money
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Another height varience... 259 units. 209 parking spots... ya that makes total sence. So to make it better 1.1bike parking spots per unit. And our city officials will bend over and pass this with a smile.
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

Great. More work! Trades have been busy.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I’m happy that I live within walking distance of the downtown area... wait for it, lack of parking people are not to far away.
:biggrin:

I only go downtown for Remembrance Day & Canada Day, that’s it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Oh, no! Another thing that doesn't affect my life at all, but somehow I need to feel so negative about it!
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Even Steven wrote: May 12th, 2022, 5:39 pm Oh, no! Another thing that doesn't affect my life at all, but somehow I need to feel so negative about it!
Oh no. If it doesn't affect you why comment. When short changing new developments parking requirements everyone who goes down town will feel it.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Even Steven wrote: May 12th, 2022, 5:39 pm Oh, no! Another thing that doesn't affect my life at all, but somehow I need to feel so negative about it!
selfish :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote: May 12th, 2022, 5:27 pm I’m happy that I live within walking distance of the downtown area... wait for it, lack of parking people are not to far away.
:biggrin:

I only go downtown for Remembrance Day & Canada Day, that’s it.
The only two reasons to go downtown in kelowna unless you want some of this https://globalnews.ca/news/8716492/rcmp ... r-stabbed/ never heard a word from are city leaders about it, why is that anyway
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

the truth wrote: May 12th, 2022, 6:09 pm
Being selfish would be saying "don't build any more housing here, I've got mine, everyone else can f#)%$ off!" [icon_lol2.gif]
Last edited by Even Steven on May 12th, 2022, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

the truth wrote: May 12th, 2022, 6:09 pm
AND how does this affect a Rutland resident?
Last edited by alanjh595 on May 12th, 2022, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

69cutlass wrote: May 12th, 2022, 6:03 pmWhen short changing new developments parking requirements everyone who goes down town will feel it.
It's almost like ... downtown cores are not meant to have plenty of parking for everybody and be more walk/cycle/bus/car share/uber dependent.

I love when people who have an F-450 Heavy Duty with a boat trailer complain about not having enough parking in front of their favourite donut shop or having to walk two-three blocks. It's not meant to be convenient for everybody everywhere. Walk a little, it's good for you.
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

Oh, no! Another thing that doesn't affect my life at all, but somehow I need to feel so negative about it!
Really? Where is the infrastructure for all these new residents? Last I heard, Kelowna only has ONE hospital designed for 40,000 people years ago. So it may not affect your life at all right now but it may when you're sitting in the KGH emergency room for 8 hrs because not only is there a shortage of workers because nobody can afford to live here, but also there's way more people waiting for the same care. I highly doubt KGH is expanding fast enough to serve this on steroid development in Kelowna. I admire Mohini Singh for actually questioning all these high towers. Nobody on city council is. But then again, maybe these towers are really not for permanent residents...maybe as a "summer cottage" for rich people from elsewhere. Who knows.? Well, I guess the developers and city council do.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Tootsie wrote: May 12th, 2022, 7:10 pm
Really? Where is the infrastructure for all these new residents? Last I heard, Kelowna only has ONE hospital designed for 40,000 people years ago. So it may not affect your life at all right now but it may when you're sitting in the KGH emergency room for 8 hrs because not only is there a shortage of workers because nobody can afford to live here, but also there's way more people waiting for the same care. I highly doubt KGH is expanding fast enough to serve this on steroid development in Kelowna. I admire Mohini Singh for actually questioning all these high towers. Nobody on city council is. But then again, maybe these towers are really not for permanent residents...maybe as a "summer cottage" for rich people from elsewhere. Who knows.? Well, I guess the developers and city council do.
^^ :up: our hospital here is getting worse by the day..we have the longest times just for getting basic blood work at our Labs..and yes, these towers are just STR investments for all the people who wanna leave Vancouver or larger cities but want kelowna to become exactly what they want to vacation away from..Kelowna is looking more and more like a small Vancouver everyday..
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Even Steven wrote: May 12th, 2022, 6:36 pm
69cutlass wrote: May 12th, 2022, 6:03 pmWhen short changing new developments parking requirements everyone who goes down town will feel it.
It's almost like ... downtown cores are not meant to have plenty of parking for everybody and be more walk/cycle/bus/car share/uber dependent.

I love when people who have an F-450 Heavy Duty with a boat trailer complain about not having enough parking in front of their favourite donut shop or having to walk two-three blocks. It's not meant to be convenient for everybody everywhere. Walk a little, it's good for you.
How about parking for truck and trailer anywhere near our boat launch down town.

Return to “Central Okanagan”