55+ complexes why?

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: 55+ complexes why?

Post by Bsuds »

Even Steven wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 3:49 pm Let's be honest - no 36 year old is marrying somebody 55+ unless he won a lottery, and in that case they're probably move to a nice building
My Dad's second Wife was 6 months younger than my sister.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Even Steven wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 4:28 pm
MAPearce wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 4:01 pmI'm 56 and got totally hit on by a 38 year old AND ,
Dudes don't count.
umokyeah ... Not that kinda guy ... Sorry .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 4:36 pm
Even Steven wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 3:49 pm Let's be honest - no 36 year old is marrying somebody 55+ unless he won a lottery, and in that case they're probably move to a nice building
My Dad's second Wife was 6 months younger than my sister.
So it happens , right ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
drstephens
Banned

Post by drstephens »

Deleted
Last edited by drstephens on Jul 25th, 2022, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

drstephens wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 4:54 pm
MAPearce wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 4:01 pm

I wouldn't go that far .. I'm 56 and got totally hit on by a 38 year old AND , I certainly haven't won the lottery .

Well I did when I got married ...

I think 55 plus is just a gimmick .
This never happened
yeah , yeah Vax ...

And you're NOT an MD .
0g0p0g0
Fledgling

Post by 0g0p0g0 »

one wheel wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 12:59 pm IMO the problem with these 55 + complexes is that the age limit can't be enforced ?
For example if a Grandparent leaves their unit to a Granddaughter who is 30 yrs. old & she wants to live there for a year in order to save taxes the 55+ rule goes out the window.
Thats very much NOT TRUE. Dont spread lies https://www.surreynowleader.com/news/wo ... ted-condo/
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

one wheel wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 12:59 pm...in order to save taxes the 55+ rule goes out the window.
There's no tax savings for living in 55+ buildings
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Even Steven wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 6:41 pm
one wheel wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 12:59 pm...in order to save taxes the 55+ rule goes out the window.
There's no tax savings for living in 55+ buildings
As a Sr, using the discounts for my age, I pay 100.00/annum.

Never mind taxes. I am just counting myself as unbelievably fortunate to have found a 55+. Condo at a reasonable price, top floor, spacious hallways and living units, quiet as can be (often feel like I am only resident), locked underground parking, beautifully kept grounds and plantings, lots of storage in unit and in basement, hot water included, reasonable monthly fee, no animals allowed. Enforced. Thoroughly.

After selling last home i decided to rent….never will do that again.

In meantime, prices have risen for everything, but our condo fee didn’t, thanks to a terrific Council.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

voice of reason wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 4:36 pm i would move in to one right now if i was 5 years older. they still have affordable real estate . if you look at the mobile home listings the 55+ parks are dirt cheap compared to the rest of them
Yea that is true
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
0g0p0g0
Fledgling

Post by 0g0p0g0 »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 7:10 pm
voice of reason wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 4:36 pm i would move in to one right now if i was 5 years older. they still have affordable real estate . if you look at the mobile home listings the 55+ parks are dirt cheap compared to the rest of them
Yea that is true
Yeah and you dont own anything but an old worn out trailer from 1981. Which they can kick you out of at anytime if on Native land and with 1 year notice otherwise.

Not exactly an investment or relaxed retirement living.

the trailers are not any cheaper between 55+ and family parks. In fact the cheapest appears to be Jubilee - a family park (also an enormous dump)
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

0g0p0g0 wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 7:50 pm
captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 25th, 2022, 7:10 pm
Yea that is true
Yeah and you dont own anything but an old worn out trailer from 1981. Which they can kick you out of at anytime if on Native land and with 1 year notice otherwise.

Not exactly an investment or relaxed retirement living.

the trailers are not any cheaper between 55+ and family parks. In fact the cheapest appears to be Jubilee - a family park (also an enormous dump)
Plus being fire trap that goes up in minutes.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

I can give you some reasons why mum and her partner did years ago. Smaller grounds to look after and their strata fees paid for lawn mowing and bush/tree trimming. About 1600 ft2 detached rancher, no stairs. Clubhouse with two pools, pool tables, bridge. Very social groups. Some social functions worked for them and some did not.
Very reasonable initial cost of house compared to a detached fee simple house like what they sold.
Gated community so a sense of security.
They loved it.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Advantage

Post by Advantage »

Maybe I’m missing something but I’m not sure the OP and some of the responders understand that the 55+ condos are just private real estate? Same as purchasing any condo, there are different bylaws, pets, rentals, noise restrictions etc. in this case age is one of the restrictions.

“Even Alberta got rid of that”. What are you talking about? Google 55+ complexes Alberta and there are plenty of condos you can buy. The Government doesn’t have anything to do with it. It is PRIVATE REAL ESTATE.

A 55+ complex may have less expensive units because there is a smaller market to sell too. If for some reason a 55+ complex changed their bylaws to not have age restrictions then there would be more demand and the condos would be at the same market price as condos without age restrictions...

And yes, the age limit is enforced. The purchaser SIGNS A CONTRACT. If someone under 55+ moves in for whatever reason the strata would fine the owner monthly (or estate if the owner has passed) until it is resolved. There would be a lien on the unit for the fines to be paid so it couldn't be sold until they are paid up.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

So what's the problem with these 55+ condos?
Are some of you feeling left out? [icon_lol2.gif]

If so, fear not, you'll be there in no time.
Last edited by Babba_not_Gump on Jul 27th, 2022, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

Even Steven every time I post anything you go out of your way to throw my comments under the bus.

What I was referring to when I mentioned about a 36 year old Granddaughter moving into a 55 + building in order to save taxes is that when anyone inherits a condo or detached house it must either sit empty for 1 year or be lived in by that person otherwise they must pay an inheritance tax.

Now maybe you can dig deep & find something to contradict me about about this as well ?

Return to “Central Okanagan”