Big Box Malls need safe Ebike and Cycle parking.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Big Box Malls need safe Ebike and Cycle parking.

Post by Queen K »

Sparki55 wrote: Aug 4th, 2022, 7:03 am
Queen K wrote: Aug 4th, 2022, 6:55 am My point is that foot traffic to retail would increase if Mall management had a safe keeping bicycle system. Even if an entrepreneur was allowed to set up in any mall system, and the rent would have to reflect somehow that this system takes time to develop. Or the mall could channel some of their profits GASP into this system. This is an exploratory thread on how it could be done.
I sit it in my SUV crossover. But there are many times over I would ride my bike if the bike thieves had actual consequences or the bike would be safe. I am wondering what percentage of Kelowna feels the same way and how that could be supported by managements across the Okanagan. Village Green? Cherry Lane, Orchard Park and many others.
Yes, I get it, you want others to support your need to ride a bike to orchard park but you don't care enough to get involved yourself.

GASP the mall could invest? I'm sure if they thought people on peddle bikes would be large purchasers of store items, this might happen. People who ride bikes are typically environment considerate and don't pollute with fast fashion, eat fast food, buy unnecessary items, etc. So a large parking lot for cars for people to bring their items home works better.
What do you think starting a discussion on a chat forum is all about? Sorry but it's all I got time for right now. I am stating that there is a HUGE gap in security and that somehow the security gap has to be taken care of.

And no one is taking the punks out that steal all the bikes. Even the RCMP is more concerned about their safety than the non criminal public's right to be able to ride, park AND still have their bike there.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
ash71
Board Meister

Post by ash71 »

Why is it that whenever a suggestion is brought up for encouraging cycling and alternative modes of transportation in this city that there is always some eejit that comes along being combative giving every reason why it's a bad idea? I get it, you love your truck. Well I love my bicycle and would love to have some measures that would keep it safe when out shopping.

Personally, I could easily do a large Costco shop with my bike ...by towing a small bike trailer.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You would think someone is trying to take their Chev away from them by suggesting that major shopping areas need to step up with safe quarters for cyclists/boarders/motorcyclists/scooters. I am not sure how the logic went but it absolutely enrages people to think cyclists might be getting something.

UhHuhYeahSure wrote: Aug 4th, 2022, 7:27 am Why not address the bigger problem of stopping the thieves who steal the bikes?

These are the same zombies who break into cars, garages and houses, *bleep* on the sidewalk and dump garbage cans out on the street for $0.60 worth of cans.

Oh...sorry. Wrong forum. :topic:
Yes I've made posts about those people in correct forum threads. So have a lot of people. In the meantime, until vagrancy laws are reinstated and these people rounded up and given something better to do than steal innocent people's stuff, bikes and so on, we must protect our own. Whether it's a business model or a service by fee run by the Big Malls.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Having a safe option to park your bike isn't going remove your right to drive.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Queen K wrote: Aug 4th, 2022, 9:42 am What do you think starting a discussion on a chat forum is all about? Sorry but it's all I got time for right now. I am stating that there is a HUGE gap in security and that somehow the security gap has to be taken care of.

And no one is taking the punks out that steal all the bikes. Even the RCMP is more concerned about their safety than the non criminal public's right to be able to ride, park AND still have their bike there.
Ok, that's fine, I'll leave your discussion alone since there are others now complaining about me as well.

Enjoy you're pro only discussion lol.

Sorry for trying to point out that the mall will act in their best interests and this isn't one of them.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Sparki55 wrote: Aug 4th, 2022, 10:02 am
Queen K wrote: Aug 4th, 2022, 9:42 am What do you think starting a discussion on a chat forum is all about? Sorry but it's all I got time for right now. I am stating that there is a HUGE gap in security and that somehow the security gap has to be taken care of.

Ok, that's fine, I'll leave your discussion alone since there are others now complaining about me as well.

Enjoy you're pro only discussion lol.

Sorry for trying to point out that the mall will act in their best interests and this isn't one of them.
Encouraging a bigger variety of customers isn't in their best interests? That seems like a strange outlook ...
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

If the malls thought the idea had any merit and was a good investment which would increase their business in some way they would have done it years ago, especially at the start of the pandemic when bicycle purchases soared.
Yet they spent millions on fancy renovations and more parking.
The malls know who butters their bread
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Just take into consideration how many people live within a reasonable (less than 30 min) bike ride to the Mall? (And actually ride bikes)

How many people live within a 30 min car/bus ride to the same Mall?

If you were the Malls owner/management which group would you be most likely to cater to?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

cv23 wrote: Aug 4th, 2022, 10:14 am If the malls thought the idea had any merit and was a good investment which would increase their business in some way they would have done it years ago, especially at the start of the pandemic when bicycle purchases soared.
Exactly; the Malls know who pays their bills. I don't recall seeing too many cyclists hauling away 75" TV's on their rat traps. Vehicles (EV or fuel) are the ones that they want to attract.
ash71
Board Meister

Post by ash71 »

XT225 wrote: Aug 4th, 2022, 10:45 am
cv23 wrote: Aug 4th, 2022, 10:14 am If the malls thought the idea had any merit and was a good investment which would increase their business in some way they would have done it years ago, especially at the start of the pandemic when bicycle purchases soared.
Exactly; the Malls know who pays their bills. I don't recall seeing too many cyclists hauling away 75" TV's on their rat traps. Vehicles (EV or fuel) are the ones that they want to attract.
99% of people leaving the mall are carrying a couple of shopping bags or nothing at all ...I'm sure your truck is still welcome to pick up your jumbotron.

....why do you call bicycles "rat traps"?
heath15

Post by heath15 »

I saw a cyclist last week in Superstore, grocery shopping while walking his expensive road bike up and down the aisles! He was using front and rear panniers to carry' his groceries . I thought it was bold to do that and if the store manager saw him, maybe something would be done to improve bike security outside the store.

Myself I have an e-bike and would like to use it for shopping if I can find a way to securely lock it. I recently bought a bike trailer for it which has a handle strap that can be used to pull around off the bike and will work great for grocery shopping, like a grocery cart and would hold enough stuff equal to 2 of the hand baskets in the store.

But I still have to figure out the locking of the bike outside the store. My e-bike doesn't have an on/off key for the battery so I will have to remove it and take it into the store with me; it would go in the trailer and take a bit of grocery space up. I think I need 2 good cable or chain locks, one for the rear wheel with the hub motor and another for the front wheel. Ideally I would like to find a rear lock mechanism that is similar to the setup used by the Spin and Lime rental e-bikes that unlock by logging in to their app with your phone.
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

wrote: ....why do you call bicycles "rat traps"?
No question of this posters age category is there?
The reference to "rat traps" is not to bicycles themselves but rather the attached spring loaded carriers once common on bicycles.
ash71
Board Meister

Post by ash71 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 4th, 2022, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
ash71
Board Meister

Post by ash71 »

cv23 wrote: Aug 4th, 2022, 11:30 am
wrote: ....why do you call bicycles "rat traps"?
No question of this posters age category is there?
The reference to "rat traps" is not to bicycles themselves but rather the attached spring loaded carriers once common on bicycles.
*removed*

Also rat traps on bikes are a type of pedal not those spring-loaded carriers *removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 4th, 2022, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

They also have no empathy for those who don't have massive amounts of money and are customers at the same time. No wait, no safe bike parking? AMAZON!

Return to “Central Okanagan”