Kelowna bait bike program a success, say RCMP

Ahab01

Kelowna bait bike program a success, say RCMP

Post by Ahab01 »

I would like to see follow-up on what charges were laid and what the consequences were for the perpetrator.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... s-say-RCMP
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Kelowna bait bike program a success, say RCMP

Post by voice of reason »

what makes this a success? is the stolen bike problem gone? are the thieves in jail? is everybody's personal property safe now? it says right in the article that all the bikes were stolen in 20 mins or less . that doesnt sound very successful to me . i will believe it is a success when colin basran rides his bike to work and can leave it unlocked in front of city hall all day and it is still there for him to ride it home
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

just_browsing wrote: Aug 9th, 2022, 8:14 am
voice of reason wrote: Aug 8th, 2022, 5:10 pm what makes this a success? is the stolen bike problem gone? are the thieves in jail? is everybody's personal property safe now? it says right in the article that all the bikes were stolen in 20 mins or less . that doesnt sound very successful to me . i will believe it is a success when colin basran rides his bike to work and can leave it unlocked in front of city hall all day and it is still there for him to ride it home
Imagine the mayor showing up with a dirt track down his back from riding his bicycle to work. You have to imagine it because it will never happen except during bike to work week.

It's funny that I see more homeless people on bikes than I do non homeless people on bikes. Honestly, the theft is probably so high because most bikes just sit in the same place collecting dust from lack of use here in Kelowna.

I've had my bike stolen once and it was because I accidentally left the garage door open over night. I've seen people leave them out in their yard with a measly little bike lock and they stupidly complain of a theft. I'm sorry but even 40 years ago we had bike thieves here in Kelowna and you had to store it indoors or risk losing it.

Now while bike theft may be much worse now, from what I've heard, it's "mostly" from a lack of common sense on the owners part. We don't have to look too far to see the lack of common sense here in Kelowna, especially when a councilor refers to a slice of pizza as a "wedge".

smh
I know people who had their bike stolen right in front of Safeway downtown in the middle of the day with a full parking lot, they had an expensive lock on the bike and the person took a grinder to it. Nobody stopped him, the bike thieves in this town don't care if someone sees them as they know nothing will be done.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

just_browsing wrote: Aug 9th, 2022, 8:14 am Imagine the mayor showing up with a dirt track down his back from riding his bicycle to work. You have to imagine it because it will never happen except during bike to work week.
Super crafty point. Most people don't ride their bike to work. Who cares? Do you?
just_browsing wrote: Aug 9th, 2022, 8:14 am It's funny that I see more homeless people on bikes than I do non homeless people on bikes. Honestly, the theft is probably so high because most bikes just sit in the same place collecting dust from lack of use here in Kelowna.
Nonsense. The lot of it.
How do you know if the person riding the bike is homeless? And really, where do you go where you see more homeless people on bikes than everyone else combined? Oh right, facts don't matter to you.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 9th, 2022, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

just_browsing wrote: Aug 9th, 2022, 8:14 am
voice of reason wrote: Aug 8th, 2022, 5:10 pm what makes this a success? is the stolen bike problem gone? are the thieves in jail? is everybody's personal property safe now? it says right in the article that all the bikes were stolen in 20 mins or less . that doesnt sound very successful to me . i will believe it is a success when colin basran rides his bike to work and can leave it unlocked in front of city hall all day and it is still there for him to ride it home
Imagine the mayor showing up with a dirt track down his back from riding his bicycle to work. You have to imagine it because it will never happen except during bike to work week.

It's funny that I see more homeless people on bikes than I do non homeless people on bikes. Honestly, the theft is probably so high because most bikes just sit in the same place collecting dust from lack of use here in Kelowna.

I've had my bike stolen once and it was because I accidentally left the garage door open over night. I've seen people leave them out in their yard with a measly little bike lock and they stupidly complain of a theft. I'm sorry but even 40 years ago we had bike thieves here in Kelowna and you had to store it indoors or risk losing it.

Now while bike theft may be much worse now, from what I've heard, it's "mostly" from a lack of common sense on the owners part. We don't have to look too far to see the lack of common sense here in Kelowna, especially when a councilor refers to a slice of pizza as a "wedge".

smh
itsa not the owners fault if a locked bike gets stolen. you cant blame the victim and absolve the criminal

Return to “Central Okanagan”