Glacier wrote: Jan 1st, 2023, 8:13 am
If he does it again I'll phone by-laws.
Or phone in-laws.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: New Kelowna car idling bylaw

Post by lesliepaul »

spooker wrote: Dec 31st, 2022, 6:30 pm
lesliepaul wrote: Dec 31st, 2022, 6:07 pm The fuel (oil) scarcity scare of a decade ago is not going to happen for a LONG LONG LONG TIME!

.........time to let it go!
Weren't we seeing shortages due to demand and refinery closures this summer? Isn't that part of the reason that we saw prices break $2 per litre? Seems that the companies that refine oil into gasoline can do what they want ... invest!
I just knew what the response was going to be from someone here..........my mistake so I will clarify for you.

............IN THE :cuss: ING GROUND!

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you knew what I meant but as usual you have to spin a dumb response whatever way possible and get the last word in to make yourself feel good..........and not getting caught for it is a bonus in your mind.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

If someone was reaching or goes into my vehicle without my permission I would take it as a theft attempt............if I was in the vehicle I would see it as either a theft attempt or an assault.........either way there's a good chance that arm or other body parts would be out of commission for a while.
spooker

Post by spooker »

lesliepaul wrote: Jan 1st, 2023, 2:27 pm
spooker wrote: Dec 31st, 2022, 6:30 pm

Weren't we seeing shortages due to demand and refinery closures this summer? Isn't that part of the reason that we saw prices break $2 per litre? Seems that the companies that refine oil into gasoline can do what they want ... invest!
I just knew what the response was going to be from someone here..........my mistake so I will clarify for you.

............IN THE :cuss: ING GROUND!

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you knew what I meant but as usual you have to spin a dumb response whatever way possible and get the last word in to make yourself feel good..........and not getting caught for it is a bonus in your mind.
So if someone reading what I write misinterprets it and I respond with a correction that is a bad thing?

:topic:

Again, the point I was making was that if we depend on the capitalism to price gasoline then using as much as one wants will drive up demand which then translates into higher prices ... an indirect result of just letting your car idle as much as you want because you can afford it ... basically making it harder for people who aren't as affluent ... sounds like being an :cuss: to me ...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Let see if this bylaw will effect my day to day habits.
My vehicle when not being used sits in garage (I don’t heat the garage, it is setup), on those cold temperatures I do plug in my vehicle.
I rarely if ever stop at drive thru’s, so only time my vehicle idles is at traffic lights.

So no this bylaw won’t be effecting me.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote: Jan 1st, 2023, 10:34 am All these people who are so concerned with idling vehicles, do yourself a favour and purchase a newer model vehicle that turns off at intersections and drive thru’s when brakes are applied to stop.

Numerous models of vehicles have this feature.
I have one of them, and I keep turning it off. It comes up as a default, every time I start the engine up. So annoying. And I made it a habit of pushing the "A" button every time I sit in that vehicle. I've heard there are ways to disable it permanently, but haven't figured it out yet. Good thing though, it still has a remote start (phone app), when it gets really cold or hot.

Years back, I drove a rental vehicle in Germany which had that "feature", and it was a manual shift. Can you imagine the feeling of your engine "quitting" on you in the middle of a busy intersection?
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Glacier wrote: Jan 1st, 2023, 10:49 am
Anonymous123 wrote: Jan 1st, 2023, 9:21 am I’ll bet your daughter can’t wait to get out of the house.
She's free to leave any time, but for some reason hasn't left. BTW, I'm using hyperbolic language... I'm not a tattletaling snitch, so not really going to phone by-laws.
So, just passive-aggressive then?
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Anonymous123 wrote: Jan 1st, 2023, 6:44 pm So, just passive-aggressive then?
No, bringing levity to Castanet forums. Happy New Year to you
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Glacier wrote: Jan 1st, 2023, 7:26 pm
Anonymous123 wrote: Jan 1st, 2023, 6:44 pm So, just passive-aggressive then?
No, bringing levity to Castanet forums. Happy New Year to you
Ok, hahaha.you got me!
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Make no mistake, .. all these restrictions and harassments toward motorists are not meant to improve the air quality, but to make you give up your personal means of transportation, and the ownership of them.

In these eco-zealots' vision of the world, you would have to rely on public, or for hire transportation. The alternative would be to walk, bike, .. or just pass away, if you were not fit enough.

Meanwhile, .. I'll idle my vehicle in hot or cold weather, for as long my heart desires, and I could afford. And that's no one else's business.
dgb

Post by dgb »

It's good that folks here are finally discussing the issue of unnecessary car idling in warmer climes such as Kelowna. As someone who works in a much colder northerly location, I can tell you that industrial sites across Canada are increasingly mandating no-idle light-vehicle policies for their workforce.

So to those who feel entitled to egregiously pollute the air we breathe, and thus contribute to CO2 emissions, your generation will eventually fade away, to be replaced by those who actually care enough about our future to effect positive change.

And don't conflate your privilege (not freedom) to idle your vehicle with our right to a clean future. Change is coming. Suck it up.

Happy New Year :-)
Last edited by dgb on Jan 2nd, 2023, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 2nd, 2023, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
dgb

Post by dgb »

*response to removed post*
Last edited by dgb on Jan 2nd, 2023, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 2nd, 2023, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

it is such a disingenuous argument that idling your car is somehow effecting the levels of carbon in the air. canada has 362 million hectares of forest and is a net carbon sink for the entire world . only russia and brazil have more forest than canada . we are already one of the cleanest countries in the world but what ever steps we take it will never be enough for the enviro nuts .

Return to “Central Okanagan”