J walking bylaw needed

my5cents
Guru

Re: J walking bylaw needed

Post by my5cents »

bb49 wrote: Aug 25th, 2022, 3:39 pm Many years ago, driving down Kingsway on a rainy Friday evening the car in front of me suddenly slammed on his brakes for a J-walker.
I slammed on mine in time as did two other vehicles behind.
The fifth vehicle didn't, and like an accordion we all got crunched.
And my car was written off. :swear:

Ever since then if a J-walker tempts me, I will swerve, I will brake slightly but I will not stop unless absolutely necessary.
Guaranteed that J-walker will need a change of underwear.
Sorry to rain (we're talking Vancouver here) on your parade, but depending on where on Kingsway, it might not have been J-Walking. Traffic lights are pretty spread out on Kingsway.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

my5cents wrote: Aug 25th, 2022, 4:16 pm
bb49 wrote: Aug 25th, 2022, 3:39 pm Many years ago, driving down Kingsway on a rainy Friday evening the car in front of me suddenly slammed on his brakes for a J-walker.
I slammed on mine in time as did two other vehicles behind.
The fifth vehicle didn't, and like an accordion we all got crunched.
And my car was written off. :swear:

Ever since then if a J-walker tempts me, I will swerve, I will brake slightly but I will not stop unless absolutely necessary.
Guaranteed that J-walker will need a change of underwear.
Sorry to rain (we're talking Vancouver here) on your parade, but depending on where on Kingsway, it might not have been J-Walking. Traffic lights are pretty spread out on Kingsway.
I knew Kingsway well.
Lived near Central Park, gf in Kits, I was on Kingsway often.
Accident sure made a mess of traffic and of course the cops wouldn't come, no injuries.
But one happened by and started checking divers licenses, but only found four drivers. Number five driver had vanished.
And of course the J-walker vanished too. :swear:
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

bb49 wrote: Aug 25th, 2022, 5:58 pm I knew Kingsway well.
Lived near Central Park, gf in Kits, I was on Kingsway often.
Accident sure made a mess of traffic and of course the cops wouldn't come, no injuries.
But one happened by and started checking divers licenses, but only found four drivers. Number five driver had vanished.
And of course the J-walker vanished too. :swear:
My point was, was it within a block of a traffic control device ? I checked and yes Burnaby has a J-Walking Bylaw, just like the City of Vancouver. But the crossing has to be within one block of a traffic control device to be J-Walking.

Oh, and by the way, (just an aside) if a pedestrian gets flattened BEFORE they cross from curb to curb, it's not J-Walking, cuz they didn't "cross" the street. (makes sense, now doesn't it ?)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Problem with a lot of laws is that they never get enforced.

If we had two or three patrol cars locally, tasked with nailing jaywalkers, red light runners, right turners on red who don't stop first, obvious vehicle infractions, blocking license plate so it can't be read, and so on, the ticket money they generate would more than pay for the positions, and make our streets at least a little bit safer.

I don't understand how it can be so difficult, to add patrol officers, whose very job description pays for their costs?

Property crime, as bad as it is here, takes up manpower obviously, but at the same time doesn't generate revenue, so those positions are not self funding.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Aug 26th, 2022, 4:20 pm Problem with a lot of laws is that they never get enforced.

If we had two or three patrol cars locally, tasked with nailing jaywalkers, red light runners, right turners on red who don't stop first, obvious vehicle infractions, blocking license plate so it can't be read, and so on, the ticket money they generate would more than pay for the positions, and make our streets at least a little bit safer.

I don't understand how it can be so difficult, to add patrol officers, whose very job description pays for their costs?

Property crime, as bad as it is here, takes up manpower obviously, but at the same time doesn't generate revenue, so those positions are not self funding.
Not to mention that members who work on property crime are re-assigned during the summer. welcome to Kelowna.

As for earning their salaries by writing ticket, the RCMP have figured a way to require enough red tape to make them inefficient enough that they are still not earing their way. Yes, I know as you drive through town you see enough violations to pay on a slow day twice your salary. How much time does it take to write a ticket, 10 minutes ? But you don't understand, it's very technical,, you'd never understand...
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

News article states that by 8;36 am traffic was back to normal. [icon_lol2.gif]

If backed up to past Daimler is normal and 3 and a half hours before any reasonable
semblance of flow is achieved, then "normal' needs a bit of a re-vamp.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Ya jaywalking laws needed, right, because all the other laws are doing us so much good. Sure. Riiiight.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I see parents teaching their children it’s okay not to use a crosswalk, morning & after school on Richter at Raymer Elementary.

Of course not right now, I will probably see this start happening next month.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”