Where Are The Snowplows? Rant

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Where Are The Snowplows? Rant

Post by Ken7 »

Nedroj wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 11:17 am
Ken7 wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 11:09 am

I'm from Saskatchewan and all I've ever ran was all season. The good part about Saskatchewan driving is if you hit the ditch, you are usually just slowed down by the snow.

Someone will stop, hook up and pull you out. That's just the way we roll out there.
I have a 4wd truck with a 10,000 lbs winch. I would never offer to pull anyone out unless it's another truck. Too high of a risk of being sued for any little damage that might happen while pulling someone out of the ditch.

This happened just a few years ago, luckily the guy who pulled them out didn't accept any money and the judge realized he was just trying to help and dismissed it. But it could have gone the other way just as easily.
I would help another truck, cars very difficult to hook. I'd also have the owner hook where he wants it. I might suggest the corner of the bumper just won't work, although most guys with trucks know better. Thats why Ford put tow hooks on their front end, so GMC and get them out of trouble.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

alanjh595 wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 1:57 pm
metallica wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 1:37 pm [

I'm from Saskatchewan and all I've ever ran was all season. The good part about Saskatchewan driving is if you hit the ditch, you are usually just slowed down by the snow.

Someone will stop, hook up and pull you out. That's just the way we roll out there.
yup that's country people for ya :smt045 :up:
not self centered city slickers
I'm from Saskabush, Go Riders :D Usually they hand you a half can of Pilsner to hold onto while they hook up and pull you out. After all that's what country folk do. :biggrin: :biggrin:
[/quote]

Yeah, I can't understand how a driver in Sask. can go off the road. Considering that all the roads are so flat and straight.
[/quote]

Speed sometimes, boredom others.

They pull voice recorders out of 100 GMC half tons. The last thing said before hitting the rhubarb was, oh pop, hang onto your beer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Ken7 wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 5:02 pm
alanjh595 wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 1:57 pm
yup that's country people for ya :smt045 :up:
not self centered city slickers
I'm from Saskabush, Go Riders :D Usually they hand you a half can of Pilsner to hold onto while they hook up and pull you out. After all that's what country folk do. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Yeah, I can't understand how a driver in Sask. can go off the road. Considering that all the roads are so flat and straight.
[/quote]

They pull voice recorders out of 100 GMC half tons. The last thing said before hitting the rhubarb was, oh pop, hang onto your beer!
[/quote]

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
Bring back the LIKE button.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Ken7 wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 11:09 am
mullyman wrote: Dec 21st, 2022, 10:23 pm

No hills,bridges,or water features to deal wth...and dry snow...my dad talked about going to the barn in wool socks..and brushing off at the door... my saskatchewan friends dont even own snowtires...

The "prairie people" that have moved here are BETTER drivers than a large percentage of the born and bred ones here with many from Alberta excluded for obvious reasons. I will not include the Vancouver drivers, they are just on another level of stupid there. Too many of them think they are invincible behind the wheel.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

alanjh595 wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 5:17 pm
Ken7 wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 5:02 pm I'm from Saskabush, Go Riders :D Usually they hand you a half can of Pilsner to hold onto while they hook up and pull you out. After all that's what country folk do. :biggrin: :biggrin:

[/quote]

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
[/quote]
already off Q are you, go away already, even your fake members names are sick of your bs
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

oldtrucker wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 10:20 am
Nedroj wrote: Dec 22nd, 2022, 8:18 am This is from the City of West Kelowna's website:

So everyone has to wait 2 full days AFTER the snow stopped falling before they can expect their street to be plowed.

Im not sure if they know this but People still have to work even when it's snowing. This means they HAVE to drive on the newly fallen snow, compacting it down into ICE. This is the problem. The plow trucks NEED to be out on the streets at 4 am while its snowing to get ahead of the game.
I know. I'd say 230 am tho. Question....who here is prepared to go spend $$$ on a class1/3 and is going to volunteer to be on call for 24/7 at minus 30 so city people can go to work on bare pavement by 6am?
No one is banging on contractors doors to be hired for that job. How much to get you guys to jump in? 30,40, $100 hr?
I mean I’ve driven to salmon arm every day this week. Worked on a rooftop in minus 30. For 40$ an hour. Plowing I’d do for the same. 🤷🏾‍♂️
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

When the police are warning you to stay off the roads and it wasn't just freezing rain, there's a real problem!!

Kelowna public works needs to get a grip!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I see lots of snowplows.

Roads seem to be ok if you're driving to conditions.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Even Steven wrote: Dec 23rd, 2022, 2:32 pm I see lots of snowplows.

Yup i agree haven't had any issues other than it takes longer to get where you need to be
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Boosted632 wrote: Dec 23rd, 2022, 2:45 pm
Even Steven wrote: Dec 23rd, 2022, 2:32 pm I see lots of snowplows.

Yup i agree haven't had any issues other than it takes longer to get where you need to be
Would one be surprised by this, I say when weather is like this leave 20 minutes early. You might get behind a jack-knifed semi and be stuck on the highway.

Yet people continue to tail you and others think 4x4 will stop as fast as it can take of....DUH.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

How is it possible to be over budget there's hardly been any snow in town yet this is ridiculous, it use to snow much more than this in town 30plus years ago and yes there were less roads but also a much smaller tax base. The existing budget is obviously far to low or they are just prepping everyone for a big tax increase
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

well here is the problem right here

We’d had at least 12 trucks on call or out servicing the roads since Christmas Eve. Our guys didn’t get a break at all, unfortunately. We had guys in on Christmas Day and they’re still out this morning, even though it’s a stat,” explains Schwerdtfeger.

the city has 26 trucks . they are running less than half of them and acting like they shouldnt even be working because its the holidays . every year its the same thing . of course you are over budget . it renews in 4 days .it runs jan 1 -dec 31 . you think they would learn from last year and have a larger budget for snow removal.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Also, by January 10, 2022, CoK had already spent $400,000. of the years snow removal budget.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... val-budget
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Boosted632 wrote: Dec 27th, 2022, 1:56 pm How is it possible to be over budget there's hardly been any snow in town yet this is ridiculous, it use to snow much more than this in town 30plus years ago and yes there were less roads but also a much smaller tax base. The existing budget is obviously far to low or they are just prepping everyone for a big tax increase
Because they slash budgets to have the annual one approved. Every year they budget is well spent before the new year.

Good news was the bridge crew SNC-LAV did very well cleaning the bridge. The only way they ever do it melt it. I'm shocked no one has been killed on that bridge to date.

Return to “Central Okanagan”