Where Are The Snowplows? Rant

Hockey101

Re: Where Are The Snowplows? Rant

Post by Hockey101 »

Funny thing about the photo isn't that Harvey? Shouldn't AIM roads be doing the highway??

On a side note, graders are excellent at snow plowing anything at slower speeds, will always be utilized for snow clearing to the ends of time. A lot of those machines do not get used during the winter months either so you get two birds stoned at once as well.
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

marvin gardens wrote: Dec 30th, 2022, 9:40 pm Lots of comments about snow removal.
One thread I think has cornered the problem.
The crews don't have any clear plan and method for snow removal.
History shows for some reason, the heads of the department keeps changing.
Endless media releases each year about "over budget" Bylaw fining people for not removing snow from their sidewalks.
The same story every winter.
Is there anyone that has spent any time learning about snow removal in "snow cities" of a similar size? What type of equipment is required etc.,
Not likely.
In 1976 arriving in Kelowna, I witnessed a D8 Cat grader with a wing blade trying to remove snow from city streets.
If the photos are current, there are 2 similar machines working Glenmore and Spall Roads.
Hey this is 2022. :200:
Yea I lived in revelstoke and they would push all snow to the middle of the road then use a snow mulcher to blow it into back of dumptrucks then would truck to some field to let melt out
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

Tankur wrote: Dec 31st, 2022, 7:49 am
marvin gardens wrote: Dec 30th, 2022, 9:40 pm Lots of comments about snow removal.
One thread I think has cornered the problem.
The crews don't have any clear plan and method for snow removal.
History shows for some reason, the heads of the department keeps changing.
Endless media releases each year about "over budget" Bylaw fining people for not removing snow from their sidewalks.
The same story every winter.
Is there anyone that has spent any time learning about snow removal in "snow cities" of a similar size? What type of equipment is required etc.,
Not likely.
In 1976 arriving in Kelowna, I witnessed a D8 Cat grader with a wing blade trying to remove snow from city streets.
If the photos are current, there are 2 similar machines working Glenmore and Spall Roads.
Hey this is 2022. :200:
Yea I lived in revelstoke and they would push all snow to the middle of the road then use a snow mulcher to blow it into back of dumptrucks then would truck to some field to let melt out
At night.
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

The guy that does glenmore road plowed up chase road and cleared my driveway. Thanks so much buddy! A case of beer if ya dm me or if I see ya . It’s sitting in the shop fridge 🙌🏼🤘🏼
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... nce-Dec-20 [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
thank you weather for being over plus zero over the last few day, yet the plows want to take credit :200: [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] you useless pucks
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

This thread if funny. Just got back from Saskatchewan. very big dump of snow,
and -40 plus wind, then rain.
never heard a peep out of anyone about road maintenance, or lack thereof.

Just another day in the life.

Bunch of whiney azzes !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

dirtybiker wrote: Jan 1st, 2023, 12:01 pm This thread if funny. Just got back from Saskatchewan. very big dump of snow,
and -40 plus wind, then rain.
never heard a peep out of anyone about road maintenance, or lack thereof.

Just another day in the life.

Bunch of whiney azzes !
That's the way it goes. If you get stuck, someone pulls you out and away you go right!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Absolutely and a good take on reality. I keep a shovel in my car and got stuck so shovel got some use until a young family with young kids pitched in. So cute with the littles. Took forever but was worth all the giggles.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

drove around all over town for one last look at the christmas lights last night. while the main drags are bare all the side roads are an absolute mess .some are ice and some are 5 inches of deep snow and ice. it hasnt really snowed for days . there is no acceptable reason for them to stil be untouched . they always give us this "we have to do the main roads ,first then secondary , then the side streets" but the side streets rarely ever get done kelowna needs an overhaul at the city works department . if waiting for it to melt is part of the plan then they need a better plan
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^^^^^ :cry: :cry: :cry: ^^^^^^
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

voice of reason wrote: Jan 2nd, 2023, 9:06 am drove around all over town for one last look at the christmas lights last night. while the main drags are bare all the side roads are an absolute mess .some are ice and some are 5 inches of deep snow and ice. it hasnt really snowed for days . there is no acceptable reason for them to stil be untouched . they always give us this "we have to do the main roads ,first then secondary , then the side streets" but the side streets rarely ever get done kelowna needs an overhaul at the city works department . if waiting for it to melt is part of the plan then they need a better plan
agree 100%
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

My sister and hubby live outside of Vanscoy Sask. They have been snowed in 3 times this last Dec. Longest was 3 days before a plow came so they could use the road to get out. No complaints, it is what it is, some times you just have to chill out and deal with it.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

metallica wrote: Jan 2nd, 2023, 1:38 pm My sister and hubby live outside of Vanscoy Sask. They have been snowed in 3 times this last Dec. Longest was 3 days before a plow came so they could use the road to get out. No complaints, it is what it is, some times you just have to chill out and deal with it.
we dont live in vanscoy saskatchewan though . we live in the third largest city in the province with 26 snowplows and a full city crew . they dont even do the entire city . the province does their part (its not any better) it also isnt -44c all winter here. they have to deal with a few snowfalls a year and still cant seem to handle it . it is not unreasonable to expect the city to do the job they say they are doing . if it was a private company everybody would be up in arms at a job half done
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

voice of reason wrote: Jan 2nd, 2023, 6:16 pm it also isnt -44c all winter here. they have to deal with a few snowfalls a year and still cant seem to handle it . it is not unreasonable to expect the city to do the job they say they are doing . if it was a private company everybody would be up in arms at a job half done
I wasn't talking about temp, wasn't talking about how often a plow goes by. I was talking about when the crap hits the fan you have to be ready to duck. A lot of people seem to be entitled to 24 hr. beck and call. It ain't gonna happen. Just try to smile and wave at the poor bugger who worked all night so you can go about your way when all he want's is to go home, eat and sleep and do it all over again in a few hrs.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

voice of reason wrote: Jan 2nd, 2023, 6:16 pm
metallica wrote: Jan 2nd, 2023, 1:38 pm My sister and hubby live outside of Vanscoy Sask. They have been snowed in 3 times this last Dec. Longest was 3 days before a plow came so they could use the road to get out. No complaints, it is what it is, some times you just have to chill out and deal with it.
we dont live in vanscoy saskatchewan though . we live in the third largest city in the province with 26 snowplows and a full city crew . they dont even do the entire city . the province does their part (its not any better) it also isnt -44c all winter here. they have to deal with a few snowfalls a year and still cant seem to handle it . it is not unreasonable to expect the city to do the job they say they are doing . if it was a private company everybody would be up in arms at a job half done
x2
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius

Return to “Central Okanagan”