Where Are The Snowplows? Rant

lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Where Are The Snowplows? Rant

Post by lesliepaul »

Glacier wrote: Nov 10th, 2022, 10:38 am People demand way too much. It's very very expensive to have more and more plow trucks and drivers on hand. There's a balancing act between increasing taxes 5000%, so that every flake of snow is plowed as it falls and getting the main roads plowed in a timely manner and then plowing the others afterwards.

People need to stop b*tching about their first world problems.
Maybe the :cuss: :cuss: holes running Kelowna city hall should stop b*tching about property taxes not being high enough. 30% increase in 7 years with LESS and POORER quality services provided. Accountability for where EVERY dollar in taxes goes needs to be audited in Kelowna.

........I guess to some here pointing out deficiencies in what we DON'T get for our ever increasing taxes is b*tching!.........take the blinders off!
Last edited by lesliepaul on Nov 10th, 2022, 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ash71
Board Meister

Post by ash71 »

crude1 wrote: Nov 9th, 2022, 4:36 pm
Joker7 wrote: Nov 9th, 2022, 4:24 pm

It wasn't just about me, it was about Rutland Rd. There was nothing wrong with it. It wasn't perfect but nowhere near bad enough to complain about it.

I pay taxes too but I don't expect roads to be plowed immediately upon snowfall. OMG two days!! Get a snow blower.

All the whining every year about how every road in the city doesn't get plowed all at once. Sounds like a toddlers having a temper tantrum.

All the me, me, me is just :cuss: exhausting!
Thank you. If you cannot drive in the little snow we had then stay home.
That statement is from someone so completely out of touch with reality.

This morning (3 days after the snow fell) on Highway 97 westbound a semi was slowing to stop at Burtch, maybe going 10 kph and his back end was sliding sideways into the lane beside him...because of the lack of maintenance. This is a super heavy truck with good winters and he had no control of his skid. It was the same on Rutland Road until today...north of McCurdy was a skating rink, but it was finally plowed and sanded and this morning we could drive faster that 20 kph (just barely though).

Nobody on here is complaining that every road doesn't get plowed, but we have every right to complain when priority 1 roads aren't taken care of...and I shouldn't have to snow blow them myself but Joker (name is apropos) seems to think I should.
Old Sailor
Board Meister

Post by Old Sailor »

There were many intersections on well travelled roads that 3 days after the snowfall still had no sand and were pure ice.

That is what's unacceptable and under those conditions the City should be held responsible for any accidents caused due to their poor maintenance.
Hello Darkness my old friend...I stood up too fast again!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I just got off Gordon Drive and am disappointed with how bad the road is maintained. Extremely rough with packed ice. Side roads I can see, but why is Gordon Drive so bad from Clement to DeHart?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

Just returned home from working in Merrit 6” thick Ice the whole way . Kelowna still the same when I left two days ago
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

ash71 wrote: Nov 10th, 2022, 3:20 pm

This morning (3 days after the snow fell) on Highway 97 westbound a semi was slowing to stop at Burtch, maybe going 10 kph and his back end was sliding sideways into the lane beside him...because of the lack of maintenance. This is a super heavy truck with good winters and he had no control of his skid. It was the same on Rutland Road until today...north of McCurdy was a skating rink, but it was finally plowed and sanded and this morning we could drive faster that 20 kph (just barely though).

Nobody on here is complaining that every road doesn't get plowed, but we have every right to complain when priority 1 roads aren't taken care of...and I shouldn't have to snow blow them myself but Joker (name is apropos) seems to think I should.
Ya ya ya!! Super heavy sliding sideways blah blah blah!! A super heavy semi would never ever ever slide sideways at 10k per hr. If in fact it were super heavy ( not sure how you knew that ). Dont know how you could tell it had good winter tires unless you are a tire expert. With anti lock braking systems on class 8 tractors and abs that works properly on your trailer this will never happen.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
ash71
Board Meister

Post by ash71 »

Noisy Boater wrote: Nov 10th, 2022, 6:19 pm

Ya ya ya!! Super heavy sliding sideways blah blah blah!! A super heavy semi would never ever ever slide sideways at 10k per hr. If in fact it were super heavy ( not sure how you knew that ). Dont know how you could tell it had good winter tires unless you are a tire expert. With anti lock braking systems on class 8 tractors and abs that works properly on your trailer this will never happen.
I know it had good winters because it was the driving school’s rig…and heavy because it’s a semi (duh). And yes its backend was sliding sideways…not jackknifed (cuz it was going super slow) but heading in that direction. Not sure why you would doubt this, unless you haven’t left your house in 4 days.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Knowing CoK was completely caught off guard because they had not sprayed the streets with that useless liquid they use to keep ice from sticking to pavement.

Now driving on streets is like driving on washboard.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Joker7
Fledgling

Post by Joker7 »

The snow blower comment was for the person who couldn't get out of their driveway for 2 days.

I believe there was a reminder about this and I'm quoting it below.

"And on a separate note... it is the responsibility of every homeowner, business owner, tenant, etc., to clear the snow from the sidewalks in front of their homes/businesses. I can understand it may be difficult for some homeowners to clear the snow themselves, but there are ZERO excuses for 90% of the businesses downtown on Bernard and surrounding streets to have icy sidewalks. Buy a shovel...don't wait for your landlord to do it for you because if someone hurts themselves YOU are going to be sued. And if you're a homeowner then hire someone if you can't do it yourself... and be a good neighbour and help those who can't do it themselves."

Ya I followed someone the other day doing 20 and they were holding us all up. This person should have taken the bus.

(I get an apropos - nice)
thesportinglife
Fledgling

Post by thesportinglife »

Queen K wrote: Nov 10th, 2022, 3:38 pm I just got off Gordon Drive and am disappointed with how bad the road is maintained. Extremely rough with packed ice. Side roads I can see, but why is Gordon Drive so bad from Clement to DeHart?
I`ve lived here for 27 years now and the snow removal in Kelowna and West Kelowna is just gawd awful, compared with other cities I have lived in. You are absolutely right that there is a lack of proper sanding and salting along most parts of Gordon Drive and Burtch Avenue, near the Apple Bowl, deserves an honorable mention for sheer horribleness and slipperyness.

Ellis street, near Clement is another trecherous, unsanded, unsalted, intersection.

Even with four, brand new Michelin X-3 snow tires, I feel victimized by the poor snow removal.
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

Back to Merritt today. Went yesterday as well. 97C is unreal. I don’t think any plows have been used or sand. You gotta see it to believe it.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

lesliepaul wrote: Nov 10th, 2022, 1:19 pm
Glacier wrote: Nov 10th, 2022, 10:38 am People demand way too much. It's very very expensive to have more and more plow trucks and drivers on hand. There's a balancing act between increasing taxes 5000%, so that every flake of snow is plowed as it falls and getting the main roads plowed in a timely manner and then plowing the others afterwards.

People need to stop b*tching about their first world problems.
Maybe the :cuss: :cuss: holes running Kelowna city hall should stop b*tching about property taxes not being high enough. 30% increase in 7 years with LESS and POORER quality services provided. Accountability for where EVERY dollar in taxes goes needs to be audited in Kelowna.

........I guess to some here pointing out deficiencies in what we DON'T get for our ever increasing taxes is b*tching!.........take the blinders off!
You nailed it "accountability" as there seems to be a lack of it!!! Basran also created a number of high price positions and I do hope there is a real sweep of the offices and clear some high priced positions out of City Hall.

The rest of the top earners include:

Jim Gabriel, director of active living and culture - $186,678
Genelle Davidson, finance director - $182,280
Stu Leatherdale, director of corporate and protective services - $181,900
Carla Weaden, director of corporate strategic services - $179,538
Alan Newcombe, infrastructure director - $179,279
Derek Edstrom, director of partnerships and investments - $173,181
Travis Whiting, fire chief - $166,511
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Tankur wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 5:51 am Back to Merritt today. Went yesterday as well. 97C is unreal. I don’t think any plows have been used or sand. You gotta see it to believe it.
I drove through there, coming home from the coast, on Monday Nov 14 as well. There was so much snow in the slow lanes that vehicles were actually dragging bottom. The sky was blue and I don't know how many days that snow had been sitting there. Higher up it was very rough compact snow and ice. Just awful.
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

oldtrucker wrote: Nov 19th, 2022, 9:22 am
that_internet_guy wrote: Nov 8th, 2022, 9:21 am Driving home yesterday on Springfield and it looked like it hadn't seen a plow or sander all day. Drove it this morning, looked the same.

Maybe the plow drivers are taking a day off to wait and see how much snow we get before they put on their woolies and get to work?
Well this very former plow truck driver is telling the spoiled residents to suck it up and deal with it.
You think I care if the phone rings at 10 pm to get me to come in for a cold wet all nighter on a moments notice or beckoning call because someone complained their street hasn't been plowed? Pfff... Tell me...how much would you want paid to be on call 24/7 to go drive a plow truck?
:200:
Just wow. I can’t believe you said that. You need a new job.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The_quiet_one wrote: Nov 19th, 2022, 9:53 am
oldtrucker wrote: Nov 19th, 2022, 9:22 am
Well this very former plow truck driver is telling the spoiled residents to suck it up and deal with it.
You think I care if the phone rings at 10 pm to get me to come in for a cold wet all nighter on a moments notice or beckoning call because someone complained their street hasn't been plowed? Pfff... Tell me...how much would you want paid to be on call 24/7 to go drive a plow truck?
:200:
Just wow. I can’t believe you said that. You need a new job.
No that's reality. I commute unplowed mountain roads daily. My area is dead last on the priority list. If you can't get out of your cul de sac that's on you. Plow drivers are people too and working their butts off to do what they can.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Central Okanagan”