2000$ fine fatal accident

spooker

Re: 2000$ fine fatal accident

Post by spooker »

Old Sailor wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 3:03 pm
spooker wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 2:31 pm How many of us can say we always drive with full attention? Most of us just get lucky and nothing bad happens ...
Exactly! We all have moments of not paying attention while driving.
And look what the consequences can be for that ... do we want to live knowing that we killed someone?
ash71
Board Meister

Post by ash71 »

spooker wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 3:40 pm

And look what the consequences can be for that ... do we want to live knowing that we killed someone?
And if you did accidentally kill someone should you be locked up?
Will the young lady have to do community service? Seems that this would be the best form of "punishment" for this offense.
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

Nedroj wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 9:20 am
motokelowna1 wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 8:53 am Should be an automatic loss of license for a year minimum then go through the whole process again
Only 1 year? That's way too lenient. 5 years minimum driving ban, 1 year in jail, and 100,000$ fine.

Sentences should be aligned with not only the crime committed but the ending result as well. In this case, someone died, and that should be reflected in the sentence. 2,000$ fine does not fit the crime/end result.
I caused an accident at 16, no one injured. 10000$ Fine 10 year driving prohibition and 45 days in jail. 16 years old
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Nedroj wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 10:43 am
Bsuds wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 9:59 am

I suppose you're perfect and have never made a mistake while driving?
I have never hit another vehicle or injured anyone while driving my vehicle. I haven't had a single ticket in the last 10 years.
That does not prove that you haven't made any mistakes.

I haven't had any tickets in the last 30+ years but that doesn't mean I might not have deserved some.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
ash71
Board Meister

Post by ash71 »

Tankur wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 4:04 pm
Nedroj wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 9:20 am

Only 1 year? That's way too lenient. 5 years minimum driving ban, 1 year in jail, and 100,000$ fine.

Sentences should be aligned with not only the crime committed but the ending result as well. In this case, someone died, and that should be reflected in the sentence. 2,000$ fine does not fit the crime/end result.
I caused an accident at 16, no one injured. 10000$ Fine 10 year driving prohibition and 45 days in jail. 16 years old
I would want more info on this to make a real comparison...
Mazdatruck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Mazdatruck »

Nedroj wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 9:22 am Female privilege is well documented in cases like these. They consistently get lower sentences for the same crime committed by men.
Women receive on average -60% less jail time than men across the board.

This is for the exact same crimes with the exact same criminal background.

We'll throw a Dad in jail for life without even considering the kids. Mom however? Careful consideration must be taken!

We have a pink justice system in Canada and the US.

But remember - the patriarchy narrative - so dont ask questions or mansplain this to anyone [icon_lol2.gif]

No politician will touch this with a 10 foot pole either.
Old Sailor
Board Meister

Post by Old Sailor »

Of course not but the attitude is that it will never happen to us.
Hello Darkness my old friend...I stood up too fast again!
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

ash71 wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 4:14 pm
Tankur wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 4:04 pm

I would want more info on this to make a real comparison...
Ya sure, so It was about 2 am I had been driving from Vancouver to Surrey doing about 120 kmh on king George highway. I missed a turn and drove into a business. It was raining, I was an inexperienced driver. Obviously going way too fast. I served the 45 days in jail after being in the hospital, being the only one injured in the accident. I was fined for damages to the business. Then given 10 year driving prohibition for having all of that happening with an L on the graduated drivers licensing program. So for making that mistake essentially the next 15 years of my life was me catching up , paying off and working towards getting my license back , which I have now had for over 15 years. With nothing against it . Until a speeding ticket this year on my bike. I’m not complaining about what I went through due to my mistake. But this just blew me away. Right away. 2000$ fine for killing someone. The poor man’s family. This chick, was the first structural fire fighter in Kelowna. I m sure her being in that role helped. The judges decision to not charge or fine her more severely. Makes no sense to me at all.
spooker

Post by spooker »

ash71 wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 3:49 pm

And if you did accidentally kill someone should you be locked up?
Will the young lady have to do community service? Seems that this would be the best form of "punishment" for this offense.
If you allow yourself to make a mistake and someone dies because of it is that really "accidental"?

I don't have a good answer on what should be the consequences, but anything we have now doesn't seem to be doing much to stop the behaviour ...
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

This whole thread is disgusting ...

it just is ..

I can only hope the accident victims family can deal with and lose the anger .. They won't be able to move on with their lives if they don't .. They need to forgive . Trust me , I know it's hard .

I can only hope that the innocent people in the driver family can do the same as they have no doubt suffered immeasurably for the mistake made by their (pay attention all that seek the gallows for the driver) daughter , sister , niece , and cousin...

There is ZERO doubt in my mind that the family of the driver have suffered irreparable damage throughout the community because someone made a MISTAKE .. They could have been ostracized in school or the workplace , the family divided by anger because of it , had threats via social media , sisters or brothers may have had to change schools because of bullying or even had to leave it all and move out of town .. Because they didn't do "it" . Their lives are shattered on one way or another too ...

How many victims do you want ??

I'm sure this thread only makes more victims of the innocent .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Jlabute wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 10:55 am DarbyD is right. She is young with little driving experience. Unfortunately, the young do not always drive like the experienced. The death was not intentional and she is not a dead-beat addict. Accidents like this disproportionately affect motorcyclists since they are more difficult to see in uncertain driving conditions. A fine for driving without due care is appropriate. Considering there were almost 43,000 deaths due to motor vehicle accidents in 2021 and great grieving, there is no excuse to persecute the survivors of this particular accident. All those involved need empathy.

https://www.summerlandreview.com/news/k ... artment-2/
I've got to agree here.
We all make mistakes and inexperienced people make more mistakes.

Unfortunately mistakes made while driving a car, or flying a plane or pressing the wrong button on a control panel can have serious consequences. The person responsible simply made an error in judgement.

This incident in no way calls for prison time. There was no criminality involved.

Some of you need to take a long look in a mirror before passing judgement.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

bb49 wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 7:31 pm
Jlabute wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 10:55 am DarbyD is right. She is young with little driving experience. Unfortunately, the young do not always drive like the experienced. The death was not intentional and she is not a dead-beat addict. Accidents like this disproportionately affect motorcyclists since they are more difficult to see in uncertain driving conditions. A fine for driving without due care is appropriate. Considering there were almost 43,000 deaths due to motor vehicle accidents in 2021 and great grieving, there is no excuse to persecute the survivors of this particular accident. All those involved need empathy.

I've got to agree here.

Unfortunately mistakes made while driving a car, or flying a plane or pressing the wrong button on a control panel can have serious consequences. The person responsible simply made an error in judgement.

This incident in no way calls for prison time. There was no criminality involved.

Agreed
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

bb49 wrote: Nov 15th, 2022, 7:31 pm

I've got to agree here.

It was raining, I was an inexperienced driver. Obviously going way too fast. I served the 45 days in jail after being in the hospital, being the only one injured in the accident. I was fined for damages to the business. Then given 10 year driving prohibition for having all of that happening with an L on the graduated drivers licensing program. So for making that mistake essentially the next 15 years of my life was me catching up , paying off and working towards getting my license back , which I have now had for over 15 years.

I was 16 they took my license and put me in jail for 45 days. No one else injured in a single vehicle accident. Speeding the cause.
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

Blows me away how in 25 years an accident can get you what it got me whil this accident taking someone’s life got her a 2000$ fine. I grew up in the slums and she a fire fighter. That privilege alone is keeping her out of jail. The man’s daughter puts it perfectly. She gets to live with it and this family never gets to see their dad again. Wow. Wake up people this a crime if it is distracted driving.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

She has to live with what happened for the rest of her Life, that alone should be punishment enough
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Central Okanagan”