Tax Increases

KKJJ

Tax Increases

Post by KKJJ »

A recent article spoke about a tax increase for Kelowna. Why do we always fall for this?
Taxes are based on population and are intended to cover the cost of public services and utilities...
As a smaller population requires less infrastructure than a larger centre, whatever the percentage was initially determined to be adequate to cover these should NEVER need to rise as the increased population should cover these increased costs.
Even with inflation, the increased property taxes that a subject to inflation would offset these expenses.

Simple math should tell you that increases in your taxation percentage is an indication of fiscal mismanagement.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... rs-in-2023
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Re: Tax Increases

Post by OhMyDarlin »

KKJJ wrote: Dec 1st, 2022, 6:18 pm Simple math should tell you that increases in your taxation percentage is an indication of fiscal mismanagement.
That's why professional finance managers don't use "simple" math. You are assuming that costs for services and utilities are tied only to population. Using that assumption, the cost of living for two people in a house would remain the same over a number of years because the "population" doesn't increase. Costs increase for other reasons, like inflation.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Wait - so Basran was a monster. But now the chamber of commerce guy just raised taxes? Guess people should have thought through change for the sake of change.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Dec 1st, 2022, 7:30 pm Wait - so Basran was a monster. But now the chamber of commerce guy just raised taxes? Guess people should have thought through change for the sake of change.
Has the CoK ever not raised the taxes, if expenditures are bigger then revenue...
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
spooker

Post by spooker »

GordonH wrote: Dec 1st, 2022, 7:34 pm
nucksRnum1 wrote: Dec 1st, 2022, 7:30 pm Wait - so Basran was a monster. But now the chamber of commerce guy just raised taxes? Guess people should have thought through change for the sake of change.
Has the CoK ever not raised the taxes, if expenditures are bigger then revenue...
Municipalities are not allowed to run a deficit so they can only spend what they take in ... so they have to plan for increased costs as inflation hits them as much as the rest of us ... along with everything else they have to deal with so we don't have to
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Cheering for property tax hikes usually comes from people who don't pay them directly (i.e. renters). However, these hikes do inevitably reflect on their rent.
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

BC Landlord wrote: Dec 1st, 2022, 8:22 pm Cheering for property tax hikes usually comes from people who don't pay them directly (i.e. renters). However, these hikes do inevitably reflect on their rent.
Renters most definitely pay for a LL's property taxes, ain't no LL here in kelowna that doesn't make a Tenant pay for the entire cost of their investment. Anyways Property tax increases are needed like another poster said, you cannot expect to never have an increase in your property taxes and BC has one of the lowest Property Taxes in Canada
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Patron wrote: Dec 2nd, 2022, 10:05 am
BC Landlord wrote: Dec 1st, 2022, 8:22 pm Cheering for property tax hikes usually comes from people who don't pay them directly (i.e. renters). However, these hikes do inevitably reflect on their rent.
Renters most definitely pay for a LL's property taxes, ain't no LL here in kelowna that doesn't make a Tenant pay for the entire cost of their investment. Anyways Property tax increases are needed like another poster said, you cannot expect to never have an increase in your property taxes and BC has one of the lowest Property Taxes in Canada
Depends on rate of change , a ll can only raise what the bc govt says they can , so if that is 2 percent and property taxes go up by more than the raise , the ll is out of luck .

Also renters dont cheer for higher property taxes , they cheer for sane landlords . :up:
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Patron wrote: Dec 2nd, 2022, 10:05 am Renters most definitely pay for a LL's property taxes, ain't no LL here in kelowna that doesn't make a Tenant pay for the entire cost of their investment.
Except that, unlike rent controls, there is no such thing as tax controls.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

spooker wrote: Dec 1st, 2022, 8:09 pm
GordonH wrote: Dec 1st, 2022, 7:34 pm

Municipalities are not allowed to run a deficit so they can only spend what they take in ... so they have to plan for increased costs as inflation hits them as much as the rest of us ... along with everything else they have to deal with so we don't have to
Exactly, it’s doubtful that any municipality has a zero tax increase. If they do then infrastructure isn’t being maintained and services are unavailable.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

BC Landlord wrote: Dec 2nd, 2022, 10:17 am
Patron wrote: Dec 2nd, 2022, 10:05 am Renters most definitely pay for a LL's property taxes, ain't no LL here in kelowna that doesn't make a Tenant pay for the entire cost of their investment.
I concur. If the taxes go up 5%, the landlord can only increase the rent by 4%/yr.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

BC Landlord wrote: Dec 2nd, 2022, 10:17 am
that's life :D and if your not renting out your investment , you can get the grant and that's very helpful for those who rent out basements suites in their Primary residence
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

KKJJ wrote: Dec 1st, 2022, 6:18 pm
Simple math should tell you that increases in your taxation percentage is an indication of fiscal mismanagement.
Yup. the City can control inflation!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Bsuds wrote: Dec 2nd, 2022, 10:27 am Yup. the City can control inflation!
No, it cannot. But when it comes to controlling spending, that's a mission impossible.
lsj777
Fledgling

Post by lsj777 »

Does anyone remember the woman that was mayor of a city in Ontario that refused to raise property taxes for her citizens and she made sure the developers paid for all the costs instead of passing them to the local taxpayers . She used to get voted in as a incumbent everytime when nobody would challenge her when it came to the job of mayor ?

Return to “Central Okanagan”