Interest Rate Review

one wheel
Übergod

Interest Rate Review

Post by one wheel »

I'm going to say that on Dec.7th. the Bank of Canada will raise the prime interest rate by 50 basis points ?
With the rate at 3.75 & a 1 year GIC paying 4.75 I'm saying the rate will be going up ?
seewood
Guru

Re: Interest Rate Review

Post by seewood »

one wheel wrote: Dec 4th, 2022, 2:08 pm With the rate at 3.75 & a 1 year GIC paying 4.75 I'm saying the rate will be going up ?
I asked the fellow at the bank we deal with and he told me not much more than 5%. But that was 3 weeks ago..
I have a HSBC 1 year GIC at 5.0%, others at 4.9% Good enough for me in this climate.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

They have already announced that there will be one more rate increase in December - and then no more are forecast for the foreseeable future.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

Yes I'm aware the BOC is going to have a review on Wednesday but no one knows if the rate will increase or by how much ?
I only mentioned that my guess is they will raise the rate by 50 basis points & wanted to see what others think will happen ?
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

one wheel wrote: Dec 5th, 2022, 9:55 am Yes I'm aware the BOC is going to have a review on Wednesday but no one knows if the rate will increase or by how much ?
I only mentioned that my guess is they will raise the rate by 50 basis points & wanted to see what others think will happen ?
I am betting that your guess is pretty accurate.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

lensbaby wrote: Dec 5th, 2022, 11:43 am
one wheel wrote: Dec 5th, 2022, 9:55 am Yes I'm aware the BOC is going to have a review on Wednesday but no one knows if the rate will increase or by how much ?
I am betting that your guess is pretty accurate.
My guess is that it will increase by .5%, maybe .25%, and then 0% in 3 months.
Bring back the LIKE button.
marvin gardens
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by marvin gardens »

Bank of Canada interest rate is now 4.25%
Most banks have raised their prime rate to 6.45%
A good guess will see mortgage rates rise also.
raft-cove
Übergod

Post by raft-cove »

one wheel wrote: Dec 4th, 2022, 2:08 pm I'm going to say that on Dec.7th. the Bank of Canada will raise the prime interest rate by 50 basis points ?
With the rate at 3.75 & a 1 year GIC paying 4.75 I'm saying the rate will be going up ?
Can't tell if this is your interest rate projection or if you are asking about rates.

BOC never should have permitted their Overnight Rate to go below 2%, no matter the economic backdrop.

Instead, BOC panicked and pushed rate down to 0.25%. This leads to hyperinflation. Fun.

Now several generations of Canadians were duped into believing that 2% mortgage rates were normal and that it's acceptable to pay $1mm for a $650k house.

So when mortgage rates climb from 2% to 6.5%, the annual increase on $800k of debt is $26,000/yr after-tax.

Know many households who can spare $2,200/mo extra to cover increased carrying cost of their inflated house value?

I don't.

Thank the Bank of Canada and thank your mortgage lender. They walked you into this mess. Now you gotta figure your own way out without going bankrupt.

Hello Justinflation.

Welcome to Canada.

Next up will be warnings from the Big Banks about deteriorating credit quality of their soon to be overleveraged customers.
VaxxNOTsafe, ImmuneSystemWorkedThanks.

"$afe & Effective" but you might need a wheelchair!

Anyone know a Drama Teacher who's qualified to provide Medical Advice?
Mazdatruck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Mazdatruck »

We're STILL in "real" negative interest rates.

Inflation is is around 7%

Interest rate is 4.25.

The REAL interest rate is -2.75%.

It's still cheaper to borrow money than it is to save money.

Looooong ways to go.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Mazdatruck wrote: Dec 7th, 2022, 4:52 pm We're STILL in "real" negative interest rates.

Inflation is is around 7%

Interest rate is 4.25.

The REAL interest rate is -2.75%.

It's still cheaper to borrow money than it is to save money.

Looooong ways to go.

Tell me where I can borrow for 4.25% please?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Mazdatruck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Mazdatruck »

Bsuds wrote: Dec 7th, 2022, 5:05 pm Tell me where I can borrow for 4.25% please?
Even prime rate is below inflation, still negative.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

I was told that the Banks aren't increasing the monthly mortgage payments for homeowners but have extended the life of the mortgage & this avoids the owner form going bankrupt ?
Maybe someone who's renewing their mortgage could explain what's going on ?

Return to “Central Okanagan”