Suing Interior Health for wage disparity

Jlabute
Guru

Suing Interior Health for wage disparity

Post by Jlabute »

Nurse Practitioners (RNs with additional education, 6-8 years) believe they should earn as much as physicians (10 to 14 years education)?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... th-doctors

I don't think there should be wage parity seeing more responsibility is on the doctors for medications. I would think doctors get more rigorous schooling and could be more knowledgeable in regards to human physiology and bodily functions in general. Is the lawsuit an attempt to give two groups wage parity because of their apparent value-to-patient, rather than based on education?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
VaxisSafe
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Suing Interior Health for wage disparity

Post by VaxisSafe »

Doctors have more education and thus should be paid more.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

As I see it a nurse practitioner should probably make between a NR and a Doctor.
So add top RN salary with that of average GP and divide by 2.

Nurse Practitioner salary is calculated, pretty simple.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

GordonH wrote: Dec 15th, 2022, 10:48 am As I see it a nurse practitioner should probably make between a NR and a Doctor.

What are current NP's paid? Same as RNs? They should make more than an RN, but I'm not sure if the amount should be an average : (NP + Physician)/2. Physicians are still a light-year beyond in education is my perception. I don't think wage parity is deserved. Why would they ask for wage parity?
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Jlabute wrote: Dec 15th, 2022, 10:58 am
GordonH wrote: Dec 15th, 2022, 10:48 am As I see it a nurse practitioner should probably make between a NR and a Doctor.

What are current NP's paid? Same as RNs? They should make more than an RN, but I'm not sure if the amount should be an average : (NP + Physician)/2. Physicians are still a light-year beyond in education is my perception. I don't think wage parity is deserved. Why would they ask for wage parity?
It's stated in their claim that the NP and the GP's are doing equal work in these cases. Equal pay for equal work sounds fair to me.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

My mom said acting as a doctor in outpostings she could make 15 000 in 3 months . Thats after taking courses that made her step below a doctor . That was also ten years ago or more years ago wages . Way below what a doc makes in 3 months .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Equal work doesn't equate to equal value. If that were the case, why would you need the physicians at all? If a physician is under-utilized, that doesn't mean a nurse should be bumped up in pay.
ash71
Board Meister

Post by ash71 »

I'm an certified accountant. Someone with little to no education could, realistically, do my job. But if I'm in a position where my co-worker does the same work as me but has no education I'd be pretty upset if they were making the same amount of money as me. Being educated should pay. If you want to earn the money that a doctor earns then go to school to be a doctor. If you don't want to go to school that long (or can't) then don't expect to earn what they earn.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

captkirkcanada wrote: Dec 15th, 2022, 11:04 am
My mom said acting as a doctor in outpostings she could make 15,000 in 3 months . That's after taking courses that made her step below a doctor. That was also ten years ago or more years ago wages . Way below what a doc makes in 3 months .
An LPN will be paid as an RN if they fill in their shoes for a shift. If an NP is filling in for a doctor, wage parity makes sense for that period. On a case by case basis, I see LPNs that don't mind stepping up to be an RN. Not all would be comfortable with the extra responsibility, and it could depend on the situation and location perhaps. Again, if physicians can be replaced with NPs, why hire physicians?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

ash71 wrote: Dec 15th, 2022, 11:30 am I'm an certified accountant. Someone with little to no education could, realistically, do my job. But if I'm in a position where my co-worker does the same work as me but has no education I'd be pretty upset if they were making the same amount of money as me. Being educated should pay. If you want to earn the money that a doctor earns then go to school to be a doctor. If you don't want to go to school that long (or can't) then don't expect to earn what they earn.
The little piece of paper does matter in the quality of decisions being made.
spooker

Post by spooker »

People typically get paid for the value they provide to the employer, we love to have numbers to simplify things ...

If they can prove they provide a similar value as the physician why should a 70% gap be allowed?

I didn't finish my education so I was not always at the top of the stack of resumes but due to physical features I had no control over and an OCD-like focus on my general purpose skillset I was able to get into the 6-figure range by the age of 30 ... there are younger people making more than that coming out of college who I have to teach better skills to ...

Education is a good thing but I don't think it should be the singular differential between wage bands ...
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

I don't know how things work in the Healthcare field but in engineering, it's the professional responsibility one takes on that usually determines ones pay packet. P.Eng's, for example, assume a greater level of responsibility than say a Eng.Tech. and is reflected in the compensation offered.
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

spooker wrote: Dec 15th, 2022, 12:08 pm People typically get paid for the value they provide to the employer, we love to have numbers to simplify things ...

If they can prove they provide a similar value as the physician why should a 70% gap be allowed?

I didn't finish my education so I was not always at the top of the stack of resumes but due to physical features I had no control over and an OCD-like focus on my general purpose skillset I was able to get into the 6-figure range by the age of 30 ... there are younger people making more than that coming out of college who I have to teach better skills to ...

Education is a good thing but I don't think it should be the singular differential between wage bands ...
Yea i agree fully . Plus some ppl have natural abilities that no school could ever teach
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

Jlabute wrote: Dec 15th, 2022, 11:41 am The little piece of paper does matter in the quality of decisions being made.
I don't think it's about a piece of paper though.

I could cook you dinner, but I shouldn't then demand that I get paid what a professional chef would for doing the same job.
This analogy is not meant to suggest that NP's are inferior to physicians. (me cooking vs a chef). But just meant to highlight that two people doing the same job doesn't mean they should have the same pay.

In many jobs, two people with different education doing similar jobs may make wildly different income.

I really don't think that this pay gap is based on Nursing being a female dominated role, where as physicians being male dominated. However, I do think that we'd have more nurses continuing their education up to the Nurse Practitioner level and working in that capacity if the wage gap was smaller. I'm not advocating for equal pay as I don't see a case for it.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

spooker wrote: Dec 15th, 2022, 12:08 pm People typically get paid for the value they provide to the employer, we love to have numbers to simplify things ...

That piece of paper puts you in a position to negotiate a wage. How else would an employer know what wage band you'd fit in? Of course, nurses and doctors rarely negotiate a wage, so some mechanism is in place to enforce a disparity based on a superior education.

Hiring a real engineer, rather than an electronics technician with years of experience is not the same, and rarely is. Perhaps both can design a circuit, and develop firmware, but I would expect a better performing design from a real engineer, that would have fewer bugs and better meet regulatory criteria. A position of higher education also has more public responsibilities.

Perhaps an electronic technician can provide similar value for easier tasks, but I would trust the engineer to provide outstanding value not reachable by a technician for more difficult tasks. If you do not need an engineer, do not hire one. Of course, if you do not hire an engineer, you risk having expensive unforeseen problems.

Return to “Central Okanagan”