Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

User avatar
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17613
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by MAPearce »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 21st, 2023, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
countmeout
Übergod
Posts: 1210
Joined: Sep 26th, 2018, 7:22 am

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by countmeout »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 21st, 2023, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
User avatar
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 17613
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by MAPearce »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 21st, 2023, 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
Posts: 9656
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by Ken7 »

In regards to these protesters in Kelowna. A year of protest, I have to ask. What have they accomplished? Anyone have answers.

I see it like a unhappy Union trying to get a new contract. If Mangement won't come to the table your wheels are just spinning and you will never resolve your issues.
User avatar
JayByrd
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4222
Joined: Aug 14th, 2006, 2:50 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by JayByrd »

Ken7 wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 9:58 am In regards to these protesters in Kelowna. A year of protest, I have to ask. What have they accomplished? Anyone have answers.
Nothing. There's this high-minded idea that passersby will stop, listen, and get educated on the cause. Or that government will see what's happening and feel they have to do things differently. That's fantasy though.

As these demonstrations have gone on, they've become more like social events than real protests. A bunch of like-minded folks, getting together to feel good about themselves. Their spouses and co-workers don't want to hear it anymore, so they head out on Saturday to talk to the only people who'll listen.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
User avatar
Ken7
Guru
Posts: 9656
Joined: Sep 30th, 2007, 4:09 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by Ken7 »

JayByrd wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 10:16 am
Ken7 wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 9:58 am In regards to these protesters in Kelowna. A year of protest, I have to ask. What have they accomplished? Anyone have answers.
Nothing. There's this high-minded idea that passersby will stop, listen, and get educated on the cause. Or that government will see what's happening and feel they have to do things differently. That's fantasy though.

As these demonstrations have gone on, they've become more like social events than real protests. A bunch of like-minded folks, getting together to feel good about themselves. Their spouses and co-workers don't want to hear it anymore, so they head out on Saturday to talk to the only people who'll listen.
Very much like the Ottawa rally then. They had their minute of fame when their smiling faces were shown on the TV and that was the end.

I can understand their frustration when their spouses don't want to hear it. I think that is why some come here to speak their minds and occasionally lash out if you disagree with their thoughts.
User avatar
Richadio
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 800
Joined: Feb 7th, 2019, 6:50 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by Richadio »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 21st, 2023, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Discuss the topic not fellow posters.
FREEDOM's don't come from a vaccine, PRIVILEGE's do.
User avatar
Saviour
Board Meister
Posts: 440
Joined: Aug 30th, 2022, 10:45 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by Saviour »

Relentless wrote: Jan 20th, 2023, 5:34 pm
Everyone has the Constitutional right to protest in Canada.
Everyone is equal under the law, and has equal protection of the law.
The City of Kelowna is picking who they want to Politically target.
That right has limits as to how one exercises that right as has been contested several times in courts.

You have the right to protest - you do not have the right to impeded the movement of others.
You have the right to protest - you do not have the right to erect tents and sell merchandise.

There is more to freedom of speech than just thinking you have the right to say whatever, whenever and however you think you can. There are rules when it comes to protesting, and if those rules are not met, the protestors can be legally challenged.

Now, from what I understand, these protestors have erected tents and are selling merchandise in a public park, that is not a protected right under our Charter, and if they are indeed erecting tents and selling merchandise in a public park, that action is no longer protected under our Charter and can be legally challenged. Are the Iranian protestors doing the same thing?
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 31271
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by the truth »

Saviour wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 1:20 pm
Relentless wrote: Jan 20th, 2023, 5:34 pm
Everyone has the Constitutional right to protest in Canada.
Everyone is equal under the law, and has equal protection of the law.
The City of Kelowna is picking who they want to Politically target.
That right has limits as to how one exercises that right as has been contested several times in courts.

You have the right to protest - you do not have the right to impeded the movement of others.
You have the right to protest - you do not have the right to erect tents and sell merchandise.

There is more to freedom of speech than just thinking you have the right to say whatever, whenever and however you think you can.

Now, from what I understand, these protestors have erected tents and are selling merchandise in a public park, that is not a protected right under our Charter. Are the Iranian protestors doing the same thing?
have you been down hastings street lately, too many tents to count selling stolen merchandise 24/7 , also impeding movement of others, why do they get a pass then ,they are a million times worse that this little protest
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
Saviour
Board Meister
Posts: 440
Joined: Aug 30th, 2022, 10:45 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by Saviour »

the truth wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 1:26 pm
have you been down hastings street lately, too many tents to count selling stolen merchandise 24/7 , also impeding movement of others, why do they get a pass then ,they are a million times worse that this little protest
First of all, they're homeless and not protesting - so that right there puts your attempted argument against other aspects of the law and not under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in regards to the right to protest.

Second, homeless encampments have been removed several times from various areas before but obviously, they just end up setting up elsewhere because, well, they don't have any place to go. Stolen merchandise gets confiscated all the time. The City of Vancouver is constantly looking at ways to solve the problem but its not an easy solution. They're not getting a "free pass", its just that we don't know to solve a problem that just can't be solved.
User avatar
Saviour
Board Meister
Posts: 440
Joined: Aug 30th, 2022, 10:45 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by Saviour »

the truth wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 1:36 pm
don't know how to solve the problem , you say
more like to weak and afraid to to solve the problem, because of the woke pc times we live in.
OK, what is your solution to solve the problem? Where are you going to put the thousands of homeless? I'm sure the City of Vancouver and VPD would love to hear your proposal.
the truth wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 1:36 pmthey 100% get a free pass
Again, protesting versus homelessness - two very different things.
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 31271
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by the truth »

Saviour wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 1:45 pm
the truth wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 1:36 pm
don't know how to solve the problem , you say
more like to weak and afraid to to solve the problem, because of the woke pc times we live in.
OK, what is your solution to solve the problem? Where are you going to put the thousands of homeless? I'm sure the City of Vancouver and VPD would love to hear your proposal.
the truth wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 1:36 pmthey 100% get a free pass
Again, protesting versus homelessness - two very different things.
does not matter what i would do, we have useless over paid people in charge of that.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
Saviour
Board Meister
Posts: 440
Joined: Aug 30th, 2022, 10:45 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by Saviour »

the truth wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 1:47 pm
does not matter what i would do, we have useless over paid people in charge of that.
Of course it matters what you would do, you seem to think that you know better than the "useless over paid people".

If you don't have solution, you don't have an understanding of the issue and with no understanding, you have no valid argument to stand on - therefore your comparison is an irrelevant and a moot point.
Last edited by Saviour on Jan 21st, 2023, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 31271
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by the truth »

Saviour wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 1:51 pm
the truth wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 1:47 pm
does not matter what i would do, we have useless over paid people in charge of that.
Of course it matters what you would do, you seem to think that you know better than the "useless over paid people".

If you don't have solution, you don't have an understanding of the issue and with no understanding, you have no valid argument to stand on - therefore your comparison is an irrelevant and moot point.
do you have a solution, if not your points are also, moot
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
User avatar
Saviour
Board Meister
Posts: 440
Joined: Aug 30th, 2022, 10:45 pm

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by Saviour »

the truth wrote: Jan 21st, 2023, 1:56 pm
do you have a solution, if not your points are also, moot
For the homeless problem, no. I didn't bring up the comparison or the argument against them, you did.

For the protestors, yes. If protestors are protesting (regardless of what they are protesting) outside protesting responsibilities and rules set by the law, then legal action against them is within the legal rights of the City.

Return to “Central Okanagan”