Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

spooker

Re: Freedom of speech in Kelowna/BC

Post by spooker »

alanjh595 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 3:44 pm
drex1999 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 3:21 pm I found it a bit amusing to see them burn Saturday after Saturday of their lives, year after year.
Well, in actual fact it has only been 1 yr.
But still, that is 52 Saturdays.
Do these people not have better things to do? Are they giving up spending almost 2 months this past year with their children/ spouses.
I know how much I can accomplish in 2 months, even if it is just on home improvements/car maintenance/learning something new like a hobby.

That's 8 X 2 week vacations for this year, lost.
According to the article it's been almost three years ... since May 2020
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Urban Cowboy wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 3:44 pm
dodgerdodge wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 3:29 pm

I agree that they should be following bylaws and not causing disruption as such to general members of the public BUT all of the above can be said of our ever growing homeless population who camp out on street, in alleys and harass members of the public and are a disruption to any business that operates downtown where they congregate. I have seen bylaw and police moving them on but they are back hours later. The events that the council are attempting to stop are once a week. The homeless are 24/7.
Bit of a difference there given that the protests require a permit, whereas I doubt they issue permits for the homeless to be a public nuisance.
But you agree they are a public nuisance? Their presence and the issues and mess they cause alongside the drain on our city resources is clear and its an issue for many downtown tax paying businesses on a year round day to day scale. Running a petition in one corner of a park once a week is hardly the same and causes little issue for the majority of businesses regardless whether you or i agree or disagree with the information they spew
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

spooker wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 4:22 pm
alanjh595 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 3:44 pm

Well, in actual fact it has only been 1 yr.
But still, that is 52 Saturdays.
Do these people not have better things to do? Are they giving up spending almost 2 months this past year with their children/ spouses.
I know how much I can accomplish in 2 months, even if it is just on home improvements/car maintenance/learning something new like a hobby.

That's 8 X 2 week vacations for this year, lost.
According to the article it's been almost three years ... since May 2020
I was calculating since the Convoy protest.
Bring back the LIKE button.
DoDo1975
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by DoDo1975 »

Old Sailor wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 2:40 pm
Jonrox wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 2:28 pm Why should this group not be subject to the bylaws of the city? What makes them so special that they should be able to hold events without permission and permits?
Disrupting business's, traffic and people as well.
Have you been to the Art gallery in Vancouver lately? Would you be OK dismantling this semi-permanent protest or just for outlawing public area protests you disagree with?
Hornswoggle
Fledgling

Post by Hornswoggle »

Were all in this together, right?
There is laws and bylaws, follow them.
This guy is a mental midget anyways and should be taken care of properly.
He has no respect for law. But were scared of the law
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Hornswoggle wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 6:18 pm Were all in this together, right?
There is laws and bylaws, follow them.
This guy is a mental midget anyways and should be taken care of properly.
He has no respect for law. But were scared of the law

We're all in this together was just Bovine crap from the get go .

Laws and Bylaws are for everyone , yet the homeless drug addled get a pass and keep stealing anything that isn't nailed down , beat kids on the rail trial and more ....

Yeah the guy who does these PROTESTS is a racist nut bar BUT people have a right AND a DUTY to stand up to authoritarian and corrupt govt's ..

They have a right to protest .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Saviour
Board Meister

Post by Saviour »

MAPearce wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 6:28 pm
They have a right to protest .
They have a right to protest within the Laws of the Land, and if the City requires you to have a permit to protest in a public park, then you must have said permit to protest in said public park. If you do not have said permit to hold a protest in said public, then you, by law, no longer have the right to protest in any capacity at that venue.
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

Sounds like Fuddle Duddle to me....lol
Saviour
Board Meister

Post by Saviour »

polelady wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 6:54 pm Sounds like Fuddle Duddle to me....lol
With freedom of speech comes responsibility and consequences. Someone mentioned the protest in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery, the City of Vancouver does not require a permit to protest - if the City of Kelowna does or not, I don't know, but if they do, then the protestors (assuming they have no permit) are in violation the Kelowna's bylaws and have every legal right to be shutdown.
DoDo1975
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by DoDo1975 »

Saviour wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 7:06 pm
polelady wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 6:54 pm Sounds like Fuddle Duddle to me....lol
With freedom of speech comes responsibility and consequences. Someone mentioned the protest in front of the Vancouver Art Gallery, the City of Vancouver does not require a permit to protest - if the City of Kelowna does or not, I don't know, but if they do, then the protestors (assuming they have no permit) are in violation the Kelowna's bylaws and have every legal right to be shutdown.
Both have a concept of "event" that there things don't ry meet.

I just want to hear the hypocritical response from the liberal supporters that want it shut down.

Lots of people wanting to shut down people who they see as being on the other side of the political spectrum. while I think these yahoo's are closer to left wing anarchists, the liberals don't agree and are calling for censorship; which seems to be par for the course these days.
Saviour
Board Meister

Post by Saviour »

DoDo1975 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 7:35 pm
I just want to hear the hypocritical response from the liberal supporters that want it shut down.
Yeah, I can't help you with that as I neither support nor oppose said protest. I'm just clarifying that freedom of speech is set by our Charter of Rights and Freedoms and not our personal feelings or opinions.
countmeout
Übergod

Post by countmeout »

DoDo1975 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 7:35 pm Lots of people wanting to shut down people who they see as being on the other side of the political spectrum. while I think these yahoo's are closer to left wing anarchists, the liberals don't agree and are calling for censorship; which seems to be par for the course these days.
Good grief... They have been allowed to protest for over a year...

They are free to protest elsewhere, they were banned from a specific area.

I'm sure many would feel differently if a bunch of climate activists were being banned after a year of constant weekly protests that disrupted anyone nearby.

Some people can't adult on their own and require extra guidance from our government.
DoDo1975
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by DoDo1975 »

countmeout wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 7:44 pm
DoDo1975 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 7:35 pm Lots of people wanting to shut down people who they see as being on the other side of the political spectrum. while I think these yahoo's are closer to left wing anarchists, the liberals don't agree and are calling for censorship; which seems to be par for the course these days.
Good grief... They have been allowed to protest for over a year...

They are free to protest elsewhere, they were banned from a specific area.

I'm sure many would feel differently if a bunch of climate activists were being banned after a year of constant weekly protests that disrupted anyone nearby.

Some people can't adult on their own and require extra guidance from our government.
Good grief. Just show us a law or bylaw that applies. Is there a certain limit on how many times you can protest?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

DoDo1975 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 7:57 pm [
Good grief. Just show us a law or bylaw that applies. Is there a certain limit on how many times you can protest?
erection of tents, use of amplified sound systems, the sale of merchandise
should point you in the right direction
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
DoDo1975
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by DoDo1975 »

Fancy wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 8:08 pm
DoDo1975 wrote: Jan 17th, 2023, 7:57 pm [
erection of tents, use of amplified sound systems, the sale of merchandise
should point you in the right direction
Doesn't point anywhere.

If there are acts going against bylaws, there are better ways to deal with the lawbreakers than to try to outright ban a certain protest.

Return to “Central Okanagan”