Another Kelowna retailer moving out of downtown

ash71
Board Meister

Re: Another Kelowna retailer moving out of downtown

Post by ash71 »

GordonH wrote: Apr 28th, 2023, 12:21 pm
ash71 wrote: Apr 28th, 2023, 11:40 am I don't get why people are so scared to go downtown during the day to shop. I mean the worst issue might be not being able to find a parking spot within a block of where you want to go. And ya you'll see street people, and maybe they make you feel uncomfortable, but if you don't bother them they won't bother you. I know this from experience...I'm downtown every day.
My decision to not shop downtown has absolutely nothing to do with being scared, vast majority of shops are impo overpriced or have nothing I am looking for.
Besides I live about 25 minute walk so parking isn’t an issue either.
My bad... I assumed the reason because this thread is talking about downtown crime
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

ash71 wrote: Apr 28th, 2023, 11:40 am I don't get why people are so scared to go downtown during the day to shop. I mean the worst issue might be not being able to find a parking spot within a block of where you want to go. And ya you'll see street people, and maybe they make you feel uncomfortable, but if you don't bother them they won't bother you. I know this from experience...I'm downtown every day.
I rarely go downtown, and that's not because I'm scared of the street people or walking a couple of blocks. There just isn't much down there that appeals to me when it comes to shopping and I don't do a lot of retail shopping to begin with.
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Post by OhMyDarlin »

My wife and I do almost all our shopping downtown. We live downtown and we love it. The money we save by not having a second car (because we walk everywhere) is considerably more than whatever higher prices we might have to pay in the stores. I haven't been to the mall in years and except for Costco and Home Depot, everything we need is downtown. We enjoy walking, it's good for us, we love the stroll along the lake and all the unique restaurants on Bernard.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

SuperMom wrote: Apr 28th, 2023, 12:34 pm
I rarely go downtown, and that's not because I'm scared of the street people or walking a couple of blocks. There just isn't much down there that appeals to me when it comes to shopping and I don't do a lot of retail shopping to begin with.
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Me too!

Parking is hard to find, have to be worried about my car getting broken into, need to have my head on a swivel and be prepared to defend myself if need be.
Bring back the LIKE button.
ash71
Board Meister

Post by ash71 »

OhMyDarlin wrote: Apr 28th, 2023, 1:11 pm My wife and I do almost all our shopping downtown. We live downtown and we love it. The money we save by not having a second car (because we walk everywhere) is considerably more than whatever higher prices we might have to pay in the stores. I haven't been to the mall in years and except for Costco and Home Depot, everything we need is downtown. We enjoy walking, it's good for us, we love the stroll along the lake and all the unique restaurants on Bernard.
I love this. We have such a beautiful downtown with practically every amenity anyone could want (except a movie theatre). It's so sad that most people couldn't be bothered to come shop downtown...maybe the small locally owned businesses wouldn't struggle as much if they had the support of their community.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Turn the whole downtown into a Canadian version of "the Strip" in Las Vegas.

Make it attractive to the tourists and the $$$$ that they bring in.

Locals don't use the area, tourist do.

Fill the streets with private security, keep the dead-wood out and make the tourists feel safe.

Cover Water St. and make it look like Freemont Street. Helicopter rides from City park.......etc.

Outlet stores in OPM/Capri.
Bring back the LIKE button.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

ash71 wrote: Apr 28th, 2023, 2:15 pm
OhMyDarlin wrote: Apr 28th, 2023, 1:11 pm My wife and I do almost all our shopping downtown. We live downtown and we love it. The money we save by not having a second car (because we walk everywhere) is considerably more than whatever higher prices we might have to pay in the stores. I haven't been to the mall in years and except for Costco and Home Depot, everything we need is downtown. We enjoy walking, it's good for us, we love the stroll along the lake and all the unique restaurants on Bernard.
I love this. We have such a beautiful downtown with practically every amenity anyone could want (except a movie theatre). It's so sad that most people couldn't be bothered to come shop downtown...maybe the small locally owned businesses wouldn't struggle as much if they had the support of their community.
if you do not want to admit that downtown is infested with criminal junkies that is part of the problem, even the businesses says its a big problem . safe bet if they ever clean downtown up, more people will come back and shop
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

There was 2 movie theatres at one time, they both shutdown.
1) Uptown
2) Paramount (this was better of the 2)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Post by OhMyDarlin »

the truth wrote: Apr 28th, 2023, 2:56 pm if you do not want to admit that downtown is infested with criminal junkies that is part of the problem, even the businesses says its a big problem . safe bet if they ever clean downtown up, more people will come back and shop
I never said it wasn't a problem. It's a problem in every downtown core. But it doesn't stop me from enjoying all the great things downtown. We've lived downtown for almost 15 years. Not once in all that time have we ever been approached by, harassed by, or bothered by a homeless person. And we walk downtown twice a day, every day of the year, rain or shine. Yes, we see them, and yes, it bothers me when I see the crap and junk in Kerry Park, and yes, I'd like to see something done about it. But I'm not afraid of them and I refuse to let them chase me out of a part of the city that I love.
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Post by OhMyDarlin »

GordonH wrote: Apr 28th, 2023, 6:46 pm There was 2 movie theatres at one time, they both shutdown.
1) Uptown
Yeah, we really miss Paramount, but there's a new theatre downtown. We haven't tried it yet, but we look forward to going there:

https://bernieskelowna.com/

Of course there is plenty of live theatre: Kelowna Community Theatre, Rotary Centre for the Arts, and Actor's Studio.
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

GordonH wrote: Apr 28th, 2023, 6:46 pm
There was 2 movie theatres at one time, they both shutdown.
1) Uptown
Mission group wants to build a tower on the old uptown property
mullyman
Board Meister

Post by mullyman »

i don't shop downtown because they block bernard off...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

mullyman wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 10:37 am i don't shop downtown because they block bernard off...
And the parking sucks
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

A large percentage of the "cliental" that flock downtown here are complete :cuss: ing :cuss: holes.......and that includes loudmouthed females as well. Once alcohol fueled, THEY'RE more disgusting than the drugged living on the streets.
ash71
Board Meister

Post by ash71 »

Bsuds wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 10:48 am
mullyman wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 10:37 am i don't shop downtown because they block bernard off...
And the parking sucks
There's loads and loads of parking downtown. Problem is most people are too lazy to walk an extra block to get to where they're going.

Return to “Central Okanagan”