Is it worth while moving to Kelowna now?

one wheel
Übergod

Re: Is it worth while moving to Kelowna now?

Post by one wheel »

Are you able to take your time before deciding on returning ? I suggest you come for a holiday & check it out because Kelowna has grown & maybe it's not at all like what you remember it being or would care to live here now ?
Kelowna is expensive however if you have money the sky's the limit with things to do.
raft-cove
Übergod

Post by raft-cove »

Would suggest the Real Estate 'investors' from Vancouver are worse than any of the people referred to as homeless.

Castanet may offer limited perspective on the current state of contentment amongst Kelowna residents.

Figure out your own objectives and needs.

Visit Kelowna for a month.

Get your boots dirty before making the leap of faith.

The town will stay busy as long as foreign money forces its way into Toronto and Vancouver real estate. The popular trade has been to sell houses in the big cities, to unsuspecting foreigners at inflated prices, then relocate to Kelowna to retire.

No shortage of get rich quick types and city slickers who think they are now urban rally car racers.

Used to be a decent town.

Now got growing pains.
VaxxNOTsafe, ImmuneSystemWorkedThanks.

"$afe & Effective" but you might need a wheelchair!

Anyone know a Drama Teacher who's qualified to provide Medical Advice?
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Post by OhMyDarlin »

Many posters on Castanet never change their perspective. It is always negative. I LOVE living in Kelowna. We own a home, and both my wife and I have good jobs. Our three grown children also live in Kelowna, and they own homes and all have good jobs. So while the majority of posters on Castanet appear to be fearful and financially down-trodden, the vast majority of people who live in Kelowna but don't post on Castanet are prosperous and happy.

Yes, we have crime, and traffic, and other problems. If you don't want that, move to Dogpoop, Newfoundland or Stinkfart, Saskatchewan. I'm sure you can buy a huge home in Barfville, Nova Scotia where there is no traffic and no crime. There's a reason why those rathole cities in dirtbag provinces have affordable housing. Nobody wants to live THERE, they all want to move HERE!!! Take it from me. I've lived on the East Coast, Central Canada, and Alberta. While Kelowna might not be what it used to be, it's still the best place to be.
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

I'm not sure your point in asking this question.... Trolling maybe? How could anybody answer that question for you? You know what you like and what you want in a place to live in dont you? We don't. If you are not trolling than try asking other questions like; 1. How much can I expect to pay for rent or owning a home? 2. How are the schools? 3. Are there good Chinese buffets? 4. Hows the traffic? 5. What do people do for fun?

These are more useful. Asking is it worth it to move to Kelowna has zero benefit to you if you really are thinking about it... I hope I helped you.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

PoplarSoul wrote: Feb 4th, 2023, 11:08 am Yes.

:biggrin:
shasam wrote: Feb 4th, 2023, 10:55 am No.

Yes and No.

Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

OhMyDarlin wrote: Feb 4th, 2023, 6:41 pm Many posters on Castanet never change their perspective. It is always negative. I LOVE living in Kelowna. We own a home, and both my wife and I have good jobs. Our three grown children also live in Kelowna, and they own homes and all have good jobs. So while the majority of posters on Castanet appear to be fearful and financially down-trodden, the vast majority of people who live in Kelowna but don't post on Castanet are prosperous and happy.

Yes, we have crime, and traffic, and other problems. If you don't want that, move to Dogpoop, Newfoundland or Stinkfart, Saskatchewan. I'm sure you can buy a huge home in Barfville, Nova Scotia where there is no traffic and no crime. There's a reason why those rathole cities in dirtbag provinces have affordable housing. Nobody wants to live THERE, they all want to move HERE!!! Take it from me. I've lived on the East Coast, Central Canada, and Alberta. While Kelowna might not be what it used to be, it's still the best place to be.
Kelowna's # ONE enticement has ALWAYS been weather and scenery.........is the current overpriced admission ALONG with the growing negative issues worth it? I know plenty of people near retirement or just retired early that visited and loved it then moved here........in less than 2 years they had enough. Biggest reasons for leaving........"unfriendly, pretentious, poor entertainment options (take out skiing and having a :cuss: ing boat) and mostly lousy restaurants (probably why they close earlier than anywhere else in the world).

Telling people that "it's still the best place to be".........not even close to the truth.
raft-cove
Übergod

Post by raft-cove »

OhMyDarlin wrote: Feb 4th, 2023, 6:41 pm Many posters on Castanet never change their perspective. It is always negative. I LOVE living in Kelowna. We own a home, and both my wife and I have good jobs. Our three grown children also live in Kelowna, and they own homes and all have good jobs. So while the majority of posters on Castanet appear to be fearful and financially down-trodden, the vast majority of people who live in Kelowna but don't post on Castanet are prosperous and happy.

This is a problem. Attitudes of the immigrants.
VaxxNOTsafe, ImmuneSystemWorkedThanks.

"$afe & Effective" but you might need a wheelchair!

Anyone know a Drama Teacher who's qualified to provide Medical Advice?
bigtimeoperations
Board Meister

Post by bigtimeoperations »

Sounds like an opinion to me. Believe it or not, not everyone likes Kelowna. Believe it or not, some people love living in Dogpoop, NL, Stinkfart, SK, Barfville, NS, or whatever other childish name you can come up with. Canada is a beautiful country and I happen to disagree about these apparent "rathole cities in dirtbag provinces". I have travelled across this land, coast to coast to almost (Northern) coast. I recognize that visiting a place and living there are different, but overall I liked what I saw in most towns. Enough that I could see myself living in them. Cold and winter do not bother me.

You mentioned perspective, so lets take it one step further. Imagine a family fleeing a war torn country (Ukraine for example) and they had the option to live in Stinkfart, Saskatchewan, CANADA. They would absolutely jump at that opportunity. Same as if it was Toxic Swill, Ontario, Dirty Diaper, Alberta or Mauvaise-odeur, Quebec. Canada is a spectacular country. To act like the rest of Canada outside the "world class Okanagan" is some kind of cesspool, is laughable. So what if they get to -40 in the winter? There's no terrorists, land mines, child soldiers, bombings or people needing to walk 5 miles to get brown, diseased drinking water for their family.

I don't buy your argument that only poor people dislike Kelowna. As 'lesliepaul' said in their reply to your strange post, they know of plenty of retirees who moved here and then moved away once the novelty wore off. I doubt those people were poor. On the other hand, I know of several lower income people who love living here.
Don't Vancouver our Kelowna!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

bigtimeoperations wrote: Feb 5th, 2023, 10:34 pm

Sounds like an opinion to me. Believe it or not, not everyone likes Kelowna. Believe it or not, some people love living in Dogpoop, NL, Stinkfart, SK, Barfville, NS, or whatever other childish name you can come up with. Canada is a beautiful country and I happen to disagree about these apparent "rathole cities in dirtbag provinces". I have travelled across this land, coast to coast to almost (Northern) coast. I recognize that visiting a place and living there are different, but overall I liked what I saw in most towns. Enough that I could see myself living in them. Cold and winter do not bother me.

You mentioned perspective, so lets take it one step further. Imagine a family fleeing a war torn country (Ukraine for example) and they had the option to live in Stinkfart, Saskatchewan, CANADA. They would absolutely jump at that opportunity. Same as if it was Toxic Swill, Ontario, Diaper Bag, Alberta or Mauvaise-odeur, Quebec. Canada is a spectacular country. To suggest that the rest of Canada outside the "world class Okanagan" is some kind of cesspool, is laughable. So what if they get to -40 in the winter? There's no terrorists, land mines, child soldiers, bombings or people needing to walk 5 miles to get brown, diseased drinking water for their family.

I don't buy your argument that only poor people dislike Kelowna. As 'lesliepaul' said in their reply to your strange post, they know of plenty of retirees who moved here and then moved away once the novelty wore off. I doubt those people were poor. On the other hand, I know of several lower income people who love living here.
:up: :up: :up: ..........well said.

I came to Kelowna to visit my parents and relatives almost every year for over 30 years before retiring. Every trip here was memorable, be it for a week or six weeks. The plan to retire here was in the works for 30 years........skiing, mountain biking or a :cuss: ing boat never played into our plans.........ever.

Well, once we got here it didn't take two months to realize what was missing when you come from a larger city that has EVERYTHING. By the way, a few two week vacations anywhere DO NOT show the deficiency's of the place. I have talked to quite a few younger people that have left Kelowna simply to make a living to get ahead in life that does not exist here for many skilled people. Every reason I have heard from young to old who have left Kelowna was dead on accurate. Am I going to criticize them, never, or tell them "don't let the door hit you on the way out".........never. Those that do are more than likely hiding their own misery of the place.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Great post Bigtimeoperations.

I haven't lived anywhere but Kelowna for decades, can't say all of my life because technically that would not be true, but true enough. The changes here make living elsewhere attractive. The level of supports needed for young people, poor people and outright homeless (unhoused) should show us that something is definitely wrong with Kelowna. Should there be four thrift stores in Westbank alone? Two downtown and six in Rutland? The tsunami of throw-away, give away on facebook? And dozen of support agencies for every issue on Earth? In one town? What does that say about the region? I too look at different towns and wonder what living in a different area would be like. And not just visiting. But move to Kelowna? Where rents are astronomical? If you can get a place where you work three jobs to to pay anything above the rent? There is something so wrong with this scene.

I vote "no."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
ok-weezy
Fledgling

Post by ok-weezy »

agree with lesliepaul, bigtime, and queen k
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

You mentioned perspective, so lets take it one step further. Imagine a family fleeing a war torn country (Ukraine for example) and they had the option to live in Stinkfart, Saskatchewan, CANADA. They would absolutely jump at that opportunity. Same as if it was Toxic Swill, Ontario, Dirty Diaper, Alberta or Mauvaise-odeur, Quebec. Canada is a spectacular country. To act like the rest of Canada outside the "world class Okanagan" is some kind of cesspool, is laughable. So what if they get to -40 in the winter? There's no terrorists, land mines, child soldiers, bombings or people needing to walk 5 miles to get brown, diseased drinking water for their family.

10/10 :up: well said
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Best post in this thread.

There are MANY wonderful places to live in Canada in ever province and... dare I say... territory. A friend of mine loved living in Haines Junction, Yukon for a number of years. The Yukon is the fastest growing population in Canada with Whitehorse among the fastest growing cities in Canada.

Even towns with shrinking populations have lots to offer, though perhaps not always.

Different strokes for different folks. Some absolutely love living in Saskatchwan, and feel claustrophobic in the mountains without the open skies. Others like the beaches. Personally I'm not a beach person nor a fan of the cloudy winters, but I like a lot about the Okanagan, including the growing season the access to fresh fruit.

Really the most important thing is having a job you like. After that, it's up to you to learn what makes the community special and enjoyable.

And most important of all is the people. No matter where you live , it's the friends who make it a "good place to live." If you are an genuine person with hobbies, you can always make friends no matter where you live in Canada.

My advice to the OP is this: If this job is an improvement, take it. If it's a draw, well, that's where you really have to make a hard decision.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Glacier wrote: Feb 6th, 2023, 10:30 am Really the most important thing is having a job you like. After that, it's up to you to learn what makes the community special and enjoyable.

And most important of all is the people. No matter where you live , it's the friends who make it a "good place to live." If you are an genuine person with hobbies, you can always make friends no matter where you live in Canada.
Dang straight !
:130:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

The OP. Silent. Personally I think every single answer here is now wrong. This person has zero interest in the subject and the question is unanswerable to anyone but them. So keep commenting to the wind if you like. IMO. Good day to you normal people out there. (2) and to the rest, including me; have an even better day.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.

Return to “Central Okanagan”