Judge Acquits Man of Drug and Firearms Charges

tramsay

Judge Acquits Man of Drug and Firearms Charges

Post by tramsay »

Last edited by tramsay on Apr 24th, 2023, 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Judge Acquits Man of Drug and Firearms Charges

Post by MAPearce »

Well .. A vote for Justin is a vote for .....

Never mind
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

another useless soft on crime judge,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Clearly the police completely screwed up on so many areas it’s no wonder why the judge did what he did.

Supposedly the police should know what they can and cannot do, now a person who was clearly guilty of numerous violations is free.

Shame on the Abbotsford police force, stupidity at its fineness.
Last edited by GordonH on Apr 22nd, 2023, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

oh we have charter rights again?
tramsay

Post by tramsay »

GordonH wrote: Apr 22nd, 2023, 3:12 pm Clearly the police completely screwed up on so many areas it’s no wonder why the judge did what he did.

Supposedly the police should know what they can and cannot do, now a person who was clearly guilty of numerous violations is free. Stupidity at its fineness.
I agree. The one thing that should be the focus of this conversation is that at the end of the day, whether through a miscarriage of justice, or stupidity on the part of the RCMP, APD, and prosecutors, a man who represents a serious public health and safety risk was allowed to walk free of serious criminal charges, and is in our community.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

tramsay wrote: Apr 22nd, 2023, 3:16 pm
GordonH wrote: Apr 22nd, 2023, 3:12 pm Clearly the police completely screwed up on so many areas it’s no wonder why the judge did what he did.

Supposedly the police should know what they can and cannot do, now a person who was clearly guilty of numerous violations is free. Stupidity at its fineness.
I agree. The one thing that should be the focus of this conversation is that at the end of the day, whether through a miscarriage of justice, or stupidity on the part of the RCMP, APD, and prosecutors, a man who represents a serious public health and safety risk was allowed to walk free of serious criminal charges, and is in our community.
This story could have totally different outcome if the police had done their due diligence property.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
tramsay

Post by tramsay »

GordonH wrote: Apr 22nd, 2023, 3:21 pm
tramsay wrote: Apr 22nd, 2023, 3:16 pm

This story could have totally different outcome if the police had done their due diligence property.
Gordon, you're right, it could have had a completely different outcome. But I also think that if the judge had decided simply to exclude the recording, the testimony of the officer who listened to it, and withdrew the charges pertaining only to the firearms found in his home (He ruled the warrant shouldn't have been issued), then the defendant most likely would have been convicted on the remaining charges for the cocaine, and most importantly, it would have given justice and consideration to the specific charter violations, as well as how each of them pertained to specific evidence. In this manner, the judge would have been able to address the violations, throw out any evidence associated with them, and serve the public interest because there would have been remaining charges not effected by the charter infringements. Ultimately it would have resulted in a criminal being sentenced.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

tramsay wrote: Apr 22nd, 2023, 3:25 pm
Gordon, you're right, it could have had a completely different outcome. But I also think that if the judge had decided simply to exclude the recording, the testimony of the officer who listened to it, and withdrew the charges pertaining only to the firearms found in his home (He ruled the warrant shouldn't have been issued), then the defendant most likely would have been convicted on the remaining charges for the cocaine, and most importantly, it would have given justice and consideration to the specific charter violations, as well as how each of them pertained to specific evidence. In this manner, the judge would have been able to address the violations, throw out any evidence associated with them, and serve the public interest because there would have been remaining charges not effected by the charter infringements. Ultimately it would have resulted in a criminal being sentenced.
Theoretically you're right, but when a judge is aware of Charter violations, they can't just remedy them by disallowing evidence, then continuing as if nothing happened. The messaging from that toward investigators would be "Do what you want, if the Charter is violated, we'll fix it in court". What the message is and needs to be is "These are the rules you have to follow. Break them, and all the work you've done will be for nothing, and the bad guy will walk." That's all overly simplistic but you get what I mean.

Even if the judge had decided to proceed, the whole matter would have been overturned on appeal. We'd be spending more time and resources to get the same result.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 23rd, 2023, 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bigbacardi
Übergod

Post by Bigbacardi »

Some days you're the pigeon. Some days you're the statue.
Remember, you are unique......Just like everybody else...
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

the truth wrote: Apr 22nd, 2023, 3:07 pm another useless soft on crime judge,
*removed* The law is not perfect but it still must be adhered to or there is no law.

This judge is probably as frustrated as any reasonable person would be once he realized that he had no choice but to dismiss the charges.

Can you imagine having to do what he did? Letting a criminal walk away unscathed because the police of all people didn't handle the arrest and the process properly.

This happens a lot and it sucks when it does but the law is the law and our rights are protected, even the rights of criminals.
Last edited by ferri on Apr 23rd, 2023, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

JayByrd wrote: Apr 22nd, 2023, 4:49 pm
tramsay wrote: Apr 22nd, 2023, 3:25 pm
Theoretically you're right, but when a judge is aware of Charter violations, they can't just remedy them by disallowing evidence, then continuing as if nothing happened. The messaging from that toward investigators would be "Do what you want, if the Charter is violated, we'll fix it in court". What the message is and needs to be is "These are the rules you have to follow. Break them, and all the work you've done will be for nothing, and the bad guy will walk." That's all overly simplistic but you get what I mean.

Even if the judge had decided to proceed, the whole matter would have been overturned on appeal. We'd be spending more time and resources to get the same result.
Thanks for pointing that out. You can't simply start to manipulate the charter to suit your needs. Once the violations come to light it casts the whole process in bad light.

Again, the judge did what he is sworn to do, like it or not.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

mexi cali wrote: Apr 23rd, 2023, 9:23 am
the truth wrote: Apr 22nd, 2023, 3:07 pm another useless soft on crime judge,
*removed* The law is not perfect but it still must be adhered to or there is no law.

This judge is probably as frustrated as any reasonable person would be once he realized that he had no choice but to dismiss the charges.

Can you imagine having to do what he did? Letting a criminal walk away unscathed because the police of all people didn't handle the arrest and the process properly.

This happens a lot and it sucks when it does but the law is the law and our rights are protected, even the rights of criminals.
ya criminal"s have more rights than the average person in this country, how :cuss: up is that
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Nope, they have the same rights and sometimes that can be problematic as in this case.

Return to “Central Okanagan”