The War on Turf Grass

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: The War on Turf Grass

Post by Queen K »

I turfed my turf grass when I bought this place 20 years ago. It's a bee//moth/butterfly haven in a desert other than my neighbour's place across the street. Thousands of sunflowers, flowers, vegetables flowering later I still love it. But am cutting down a wee bit of work in one area though. Sadly getting 20 years older shows.

If anyone wants violets for their bee haven DM me here. We'll meet at the local A&W.
Last edited by Queen K on May 2nd, 2023, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
ash71
Board Meister

Post by ash71 »

Ken7 wrote: Apr 29th, 2023, 10:09 am
Mazdatruck wrote: Apr 26th, 2023, 5:59 pm We could start charging appropriately for residential irrigation in a desert valley with cacti growing in the hills.

Metered residential irrigation.

You like your pool at 85F then you pay for it.

You like a cool lawn so your dog can use it as a toilet then you pay for it.
We already are metered.... what are you speaking about??
My North Rutland neighbourhood isn't metered. I could leave the taps running 24/7 and my quarterly BMID bill would still be $169.50. We should be metered, there are alot of houses in my area with very green & plush lawns. Except then I'd be paying a small fortune desperately trying to keep our cedars alive...they give us privacy from our neighbours.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 9:28 am
If anyone wants violets for their bee haven DM me here.
That's OK, the dandelions in my yard make the Bee's very happy. :200:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

lesliepaul wrote: Apr 28th, 2023, 11:50 am Absolutely nothing wrong with having a lawn! There is no shortage of water here and and if the cries of some touchy/feely group want to continuously berate lawn owners into feeling bad.........knock yourselves out.

As far as I am concerned, if the orchards can POUR water on their land to make some money, so can I to enjoy my property.
The orchards can pour water on their land for 1/5 the cost that most residences do. If you are rich and can afford horses, then you are a farm and can get your water cheaply. The city of Kelowna encouraged people to buy trees during neighbourwoods week, we bought trees through their system and enjoyed their presence for years. Trouble is, you don't get a break when you water them. You pay 5 times what the orchardist pays per cubic meter.
Why should I be subsidizing an orchardist so he can send his crop to China where it fetches a premium price?
As far as master planning goes, there are many many different water purveyors so how do you get them to agree on best practices?
Waste not
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Grandan wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 12:59 pm
lesliepaul wrote: Apr 28th, 2023, 11:50 am Absolutely nothing wrong with having a lawn! There is no shortage of water here and and if the cries of some touchy/feely group want to continuously berate lawn owners into feeling bad.........knock yourselves out.

As far as I am concerned, if the orchards can POUR water on their land to make some money, so can I to enjoy my property.
The orchards can pour water on their land for 1/5 the cost that most residences do. If you are rich and can afford horses, then you are a farm and can get your water cheaply. The city of Kelowna encouraged people to buy trees during neighbourwoods week, we bought trees through their system and enjoyed their presence for years. Trouble is, you don't get a break when you water them. You pay 5 times what the orchardist pays per cubic meter.
Why should I be subsidizing an orchardist so he can send his crop to China where it fetches a premium price?
As far as master planning goes, there are many many different water purveyors so how do you get them to agree on best practices?
:up: :up: :up: :130: !

Many local orchardists here are making BIG money from the Chinese but in typical Okanagan fashion they cannot stop there........many of them are charging MORE to locals.

.........maybe getting a brown goat for my yard will get me their deal on water usage?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

CrystalCity wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 9:12 am
Lady tehMa wrote: Apr 29th, 2023, 9:40 am I have been eating away at the lawn with garden beds. I may have been a bit too ambitious because I'm finding it a bit harder to keep up with as I age. I follow the alternate-day watering schedule, and in high summer I tend to water just the gardens. I also water either first thing in the morning or in the evening to avoid too much evaporation. But even though I try to be a good steward of my own lands, I see so many City areas being a) watered during the day and b) how they don't adjust their spray so they end up watering concrete.
Over the past couple of years, I've been building up an irrigation system. Tubing isn't too expensive, and a battery-operated water timer can help keep regular schedules and be adjusted to the different stages. I have mine set for 4 AM and only run it for only 45 mins which is enough to give the plants a good soak with time for the water to seep down before the sun rises.
I have an irrigation system for my gardens (I need to hook up my side yard again, Husband was doing renos in that area and cut it off to get it out of the way - fortunately most of that stuff is drought-tolerant), but not my lawn. I'll need more money to spend on it, and I have a few garden projects ahead of it (purple grape arbour, finally laying the back patio - have had the bricks for 10 years, and rebuilding my garden boxes - this time with cedar).
I haven't failed until I quit.
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

The clover is fertilizing my dwarf lilac and loganberry bushes. Both are doing very well. The lilac is full of leaves and the blossoms are starting. The loganberry is just starting to sprout leaves on 20 ft canes. As it is a biannual this will be my first year getting fruit on it *exciting*. :crazy:
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Grandan wrote: May 2nd, 2023, 12:59 pm The orchards can pour water on their land for 1/5 the cost that most residences do.
If the community had the foresight and included non potable water infrastructure for irrigation, ag water is cheap by comparison.

Water is pretty much free, a small stipend is paid to the province if you are on a water licence from the lake for example, but the expense is the infrastructure, pipes, valves, treatment, staff, replacements to keep it all functioning properly.
BC Landlord wrote: Apr 29th, 2023, 11:48 am I love turfs, for a few reasons .. It feels so good to walk barefoot on it, looks pleasing, awesome for kids to play on, helps in the summer heat, and it's really easy to maintain (fertilize-water-cut).
However, the worst thing you could do to your yard is to put in that "desert" type landscape (ie gravel). Heavy on maintenance, a huge heat sink (feels like the oven in summer), let alone the cost.
Resurrecting a couple of sections of our lawn is on the menu today. We love the grass, as do the dogs. Thatched the crap out of it, set the lawn mower on the lowest setting and after raking the thatch up, the mower picked up the rest. Bit of top soil then seed then more top soil over the seed to try and hide the seed from the quail.
A section is getting torn up and replaced and a small patch is green and growing.
Just wish I could find an inexpensive powered rotary mower like we had from Eatons 55 years ago... :135:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

seewood wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 10:07 am If the community had the foresight and included non potable water infrastructure for irrigation, ag water is cheap by comparison.
Agreed, but I would also argue that it's not just a matter of foresight (or the lack of it). The government WANTS you to use municipal water ($$). As I mentioned earlier, I live by the lake, and tried to draw water from it for irrigation. A few days later I was threatened by the government with some hefty fines if I didn't shut it down immediately. That's not a lack of foresight.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

BC Landlord wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:12 pm
seewood wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 10:07 am If the community had the foresight and included non potable water infrastructure for irrigation, ag water is cheap by comparison.
Agreed, but I would also argue that it's not just a matter of foresight (or the lack of it). The government WANTS you to use municipal water ($$). As I mentioned earlier, I live by the lake, and tried to draw water from it for irrigation. A few days later I was threatened by the government with some hefty fines if I didn't shut it down immediately. That's not a lack of foresight.
I am curious, what if you had a well?
Bring back the LIKE button.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

alanjh595 wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:37 pm
BC Landlord wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:12 pm
You would need a special permit from the provincial government for a well. And it needs to comply with potable water standards, too. That's expensive. For watering the lawn ... Go figure. :-X
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

BC Landlord wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 2:02 pm
alanjh595 wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:37 pm

You would need a special permit from the provincial government for a well. And it needs to comply with potable water standards, too. That's expensive. For watering the lawn ... Go figure. :-X
Okay, thanks. I have been wondering about that for for years. I appreciate the info.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

What about for a golf course. I know of at least 1 that has it's own source of water for irrigation.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 3:01 pm What about for a golf course. I know of at least 1 that has it's own source of water for irrigation.
They are considered "farms" and receive their untreated water from agricultural water sources.
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Post by OhMyDarlin »

BC Landlord wrote: May 3rd, 2023, 1:12 pm As I mentioned earlier, I live by the lake, and tried to draw water from it for irrigation. A few days later I was threatened by the government with some hefty fines if I didn't shut it down immediately.
The reason you are not allowed to draw raw water from the lake for irrigation is because there is the possibility you will create a cross connection with the drinking water system. As soon as you create a situation where raw, untreated water from the lake has the potential to mix with the drinking water system, there is the potential for contamination.

So, yeah, your reasoning is faulty. Pumping raw water for irrigation is not allowed for health and safety reasons.

Back in 1996 Kelowna experienced a cryptosporidium outbreak that left thousands of people sick. While the cause was never confirmed, there is a very high probability that water was being drawn from Mill Creek for irrigation, and there was a cross connection with the City system, so people ended up drinking raw water from Mill Creek. Nasty stuff with all those farms upstream.

About Cross connections:

https://dnr.mo.gov/document-search/cros ... s%2C%20etc.).

Return to “Central Okanagan”