Contraband Tobacco.

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Contraband Tobacco.

Post by Ken7 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... nd-tobacco

RCMP trying to clamp down on contraband tobacco. This is funny in too many ways.

I found a package on the highway, one out of a full pack. I contemplated having one, although knew I'd be back at it. On my way home I stopped on Leon Ave. Five homeless persons standing on the curb.

As I stop and roll my window down a fellow says, want to buy cigarettes. Not a concern in the world, yes it's a older truck but I'm picked out of the crowd still, I look like a COP.

I explain no, I found a package and I don't smoke anymore. Thought I'd give them to someone who would enjoy them. The seller says, I don't want them, but he might pointing out the dirtiest of the five. He knods his head and I hold the cigarettes out. He takes them, thanks me and steps back onto the sidewalk.

A little chit chat,wish them well and off I go.

I think if you start looking around on Indiginous land you'll find Ontario and Quebec reserves are connected to the tobacco here.
paul1234

Re: Contraband Tobacco.

Post by paul1234 »

OMG this is terrible, I think the only way to solve this is to offer free cigarettes to all TAPs( tobacco addicted persons) that way we will remove the stigma of smoking. This is the same way that legalizing drug use will cure " drug addicted people" , (DAPS). While we are at it may I suggest free pizzas for all overweight individuals to cure obesity.
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

paul1234 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 8:47 pm OMG this is terrible, I think the only way to solve this is to offer free cigarettes to all TAPs( tobacco addicted persons) that way we will remove the stigma of smoking. This is the same way that legalizing drug use will cure " drug addicted people" , (DAPS). While we are at it may I suggest free pizzas for all overweight individuals to cure obesity.
Funny but true, lets not discriminate.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Ken7 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 7:20 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... nd-tobacco

RCMP trying to clamp down on contraband tobacco. This is funny in too many ways.

I found a package on the highway, one out of a full pack. I contemplated having one, although knew I'd be back at it. On my way home I stopped on Leon Ave. Five homeless persons standing on the curb.

As I stop and roll my window down a fellow says, want to buy cigarettes. Not a concern in the world, yes it's a older truck but I'm picked out of the crowd still, I look like a COP.

I explain no, I found a package and I don't smoke anymore. Thought I'd give them to someone who would enjoy them. The seller says, I don't want them, but he might pointing out the dirtiest of the five. He knods his head and I hold the cigarettes out. He takes them, thanks me and steps back onto the sidewalk.

I think if you start looking around on Indiginous land you'll find Ontario and Quebec reserves are connected to the tobacco here.
That was nice of you. There's only one way that works to reduce the black market. Reduce prices on legal products. We did it before and it worked.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

paul1234 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 8:47 pm OMG this is terrible, I think the only way to solve this is to offer free cigarettes to all TAPs( tobacco addicted persons) that way we will remove the stigma of smoking. This is the same way that legalizing drug use will cure " drug addicted people" , (DAPS). While we are at it may I suggest free pizzas for all overweight individuals to cure obesity.
:up: [icon_lol2.gif] :130:
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

JLives wrote: May 5th, 2023, 10:10 pm
Ken7 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 7:20 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... nd-tobacco

That was nice of you. There's only one way that works to reduce the black market. Reduce prices on legal products. We did it before and it worked.

:up: that's correct, either they lower the price or this will continue, I find it funny that they ask the public to report anybody who's selling contraband cigarettes , yeah right, ain't nobody who smokes is going to report the person who's selling them smokes for almost half the price per pack [icon_lol2.gif]
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

Patron wrote: May 6th, 2023, 7:48 am
JLives wrote: May 5th, 2023, 10:10 pm

:up: that's correct, either they lower the price or this will continue, I find it funny that they ask the public to report anybody who's selling contraband cigarettes , yeah right, ain't nobody who smokes is going to report the person who's selling them smokes for almost half the price per pack [icon_lol2.gif]
Now if we could just find a supplier of gas at half the price we would be doing ok.
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

69cutlass wrote: May 6th, 2023, 8:23 am

Now if we could just find a supplier of gas at half the price we would be doing ok.
:up: [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

I think if you start looking around on Indigenous land you'll find Ontario and Quebec reserves are connected to the tobacco here.
And not a new problem.
From 2009. https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/rsrc ... ex-en.aspx
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

wish someone would offer me contraband tobacco
Ken, can I borrow your truck? :/
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Patron wrote: May 6th, 2023, 7:48 am :up: that's correct, either they lower the price or this will continue, I find it funny that they ask the public to report anybody who's selling contraband cigarettes , yeah right, ain't nobody who smokes is going to report the person who's selling them smokes for almost half the price per pack [icon_lol2.gif]
Friend was at a native gas bar yesterday and purchased 3 packs of legal cigs using status card. Cost of the cigs was $22.84. Tax saved was just under $23.00.

Seems those selling contraband cigs in and around Kelowna are wary of new people trying to purchase product. As one person told my friend, they don't know if it's a setup or not and aren't about to take a chance.

Heard a couple of suppliers near Merritt will mail product if you e-transfer funds - $50.00-$60.00 per carton. No contact info but I'm sure I could get it if I put out feelers.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

How about groceries too?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Catsumi wrote: May 6th, 2023, 10:38 am

How about groceries too?
No taxes on groceries like there are on gas, booze, cigarettes.
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Don’t smoke, don’t give a damn. Moving on
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
madadam
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by madadam »

normaM wrote: May 6th, 2023, 8:31 am wish someone would offer me contraband tobacco
Ken, can I borrow your truck? :/
Just go to the smoke shop on Commonwealth Road (same place as Kelowna Cannabis) the smokes I pick up for my Mom are $60 per carton, buying them in regular stores $186.00 per carton.

Return to “Central Okanagan”