Everyone deserves a home.

Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Everyone deserves a home.

Post by Grandan »

normaM wrote: Dec 6th, 2023, 3:36 am sigh. Power operated doors ( cause the power never goes out)
When I read the list of things you have to have to operate a legal suite I could see why so many opted to rent illegal
Safety concerns they went back to wood multi units instead of concrete
The reason that building codes are now permitting structures over 4 stories to be constructed of wood is because they do a number of things for British Columbia.
1 They sequester carbon by using wood in the structure now permitted to rise to 6 stories.
The structures are built using mass timber and conventional framing material. The big difference is that the spacing of the studs is closer together for the higher imposed loads from more floors above.
2. Economy. Concrete is more expensive and more problematic due to needing cure time before the floors above are built. Wood framing can be built continuously in virtually any weather. Concrete needs protection from freezing so very cold weather could stall a concrete pour.
3. Contrary to common belief, wood is very good at holding up in a fire providing it is covered with an appropriate layer of gyproc as prescribed in the building code.
4. Local benefits. Wood framing creates jobs throughout the forest industry, construction industry and all skilled trades. Lumber from British Columbia has taken a hit of late in the forest industry. Keeping the economy moving in a way that uses local talent and materials. Using steel from Korea or China is not better than using locally produced forest products. Using laminated timber has changed construction techniques allowing for more diversity of design.
5 When compared to steel, laminated beams will hold up for longer in a fire than steel.
Waste not
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

Ken7 wrote: Dec 10th, 2023, 3:41 pm https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6600717

Medicine Hat thought they had the answer. It doesn't work.

I'll sit patiently and watch this unfold in Kelowna.
Auger has lived in the community on and off for more than 30 years. She is originally from B.C.'s Okanagan Valley. Auger, who is a great-grandmother, says she's been addicted to pain medication for years and hasn't been in close contact with her family. She says she doesn't want to be a burden on them.
Medicine Hat is a city of 63,000 that has a homeless count of 19 people ... while Penticton has about 37,000 residents and 166 homeless ... who's doing better? Kelowna has 160,000 people with a homeless count of 297 (in 2020) ... I guess we can see who thinks more about everyone needing a home ...
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

spooker wrote: Dec 10th, 2023, 8:25 pm
Ken7 wrote: Dec 10th, 2023, 3:41 pm https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6600717

Medicine Hat is a city of 63,000 that has a homeless count of 19 people ... while Penticton has about 37,000 residents and 166 homeless ... who's doing better? Kelowna has 160,000 people with a homeless count of 297 (in 2020) ... I guess we can see who thinks more about everyone needing a home ...
I'm not sure where you obtained the numbers. Not disputing that. I hope this helps, although I'm doubtful it will.

Not sure if this is accurate. The new homes will be given to those who use the shelters, this will free up the shelters for those who cannot camp out in the cold. Time will tell, although I wonder if those camping will want to give up all their possessions to move indoors.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Ever been to Medicine Hat in the winter?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Dunny Diver
Fledgling

Post by Dunny Diver »

Babba_not_Gump wrote: Dec 10th, 2023, 8:50 pm

Medicine Hat -1 this morning 🤷‍♂️
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

Ken7 wrote: Dec 10th, 2023, 8:47 pm

I'm not sure where you obtained the numbers. Not disputing that. I hope this helps, although I'm doubtful it will.

Not sure if this is accurate. The new homes will be given to those who use the shelters, this will free up the shelters for those who cannot camp out in the cold. Time will tell, although I wonder if those camping will want to give up all their possessions to move indoors.
Yes, I should have linked those Point-in-time counts that I looked up ...

https://www.bchousing.org/sites/default ... n-2023.pdf
https://www.homelesshub.ca/sites/defaul ... 020_R7.pdf

And of course the Medicine Hat number comes from the article you had linked in the post I was responding to ... while 150 in Medicine Hat was mentioned as a belief the three numbers I used were all the same PiT count types ...

I'm hoping this will help also ...
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
bidwell2
Fledgling

Post by bidwell2 »

When I was growing up in rural Canada it was well known locally that there were entire families on welfare and it was generational. Not because they couldn't work and earn money, but because they had no problem taking government handouts and sitting at home - and usually working under the table as well.

Giving them more money or benefits to 'lift' them out of their 'self-imposed' poverty wouldn't achieve anything. They knew what they were doing and what other people thought of it, and didn't care.

The same will happen with the housing for homeless. Some actually need a helping hand to get on their feet, and others will only stay at the level they are at now, and expect more handouts. The problem is weeding them out. I don't have a problem helping the people who will do something to help themselves. I have a big problem giving handouts to slackers and thieves.
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

bidwell2 wrote: Dec 11th, 2023, 9:53 am When I was growing up in rural Canada it was well known locally that there were entire families on welfare and it was generational. Not because they couldn't work and earn money, but because they had no problem taking government handouts and sitting at home - and usually working under the table as well.

Giving them more money or benefits to 'lift' them out of their 'self-imposed' poverty wouldn't achieve anything. They knew what they were doing and what other people thought of it, and didn't care.

The same will happen with the housing for homeless. Some actually need a helping hand to get on their feet, and others will only stay at the level they are at now, and expect more handouts. The problem is weeding them out. I don't have a problem helping the people who will do something to help themselves. I have a big problem giving handouts to slackers and thieves.
I saw the same thing back then with welfare- many teenagers were having lots of babies ( many with different guys) because welfare was paying good $$ and helping them with their rent etc- but those days are long gone, welfare doesn't cover the cost of living and being on welfare it's very hard to find a LL who will want you as a Tenant

I think this idea might be a bit different because now we will have real time data as to why and how they became homeless- we really need this data instead of just assuming everyone who's homeless is addicted and/or mentally ill- let's see how many are working homeless that truly need a hand up to get out of this situation - also like that it's a fenced compound with 24/7 security so the bully drug dealers can't run the show like they do in wet supportive housing
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

er, Medicine Hat has far more than 19 homeless. And of last count it was just pver 65.000 population
HOMELESSNESS
Total number of people experiencing homelessness: 70 (2021)
Individuals staying in emergency shelters: 51% (2021)
Individuals in provisional accoomdations: 49% (2021)
Individuals experiencing unsheltered homelessness: 0% (2021)
“The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a person’s conscience.”
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

normaM wrote: Dec 11th, 2023, 10:41 am er, Medicine Hat has far more than 19 homeless. And of last count it was just pver 65.000 population
HOMELESSNESS
Total number of people experiencing homelessness: 70 (2021)
Individuals staying in emergency shelters: 51% (2021)
Individuals in provisional accoomdations: 49% (2021)
Individuals experiencing unsheltered homelessness: 0% (2021)
The article that started this tangent was from 2022 ... and actually their PiT count for 2022 had 120 people experiencing homelessness ... definitely looks like something has broken with their system

https://mhchs.ca/2022-point-in-time-cou ... -released/
--
― Ernest Hemingway
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

Medicine Hat Community Homeless Report Summary 2022 -2023
https://mhchs.ca/wp-content/uploads/202 ... ne-Hat.pdf

Corrected URL
Last edited by DarbyD on Dec 11th, 2023, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

DarbyD wrote: Dec 11th, 2023, 11:39 am Medicine Hat Community Homeless Report Summary 2022 -2023
I think that the forum mangled the URL to the PDF because it wasn't inside url tags like this one ...

Based on this graph from that report it seems like they've got a good trend going ...
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 12.13.49 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
--
― Ernest Hemingway
SAILINGONE
Board Meister

Post by SAILINGONE »

Homeless is a symptom trying to fix symptoms is a never ending battle as is solving created social symptoms the current activist gang occupying & controlling the HoC with the help of a freedom fighter for another country demonstrated, they can't, will or won't do.

So first let's define the problem:
The problem is, not enough homes for the people here, because there aren't enough homes or there are to many people. Once we agree on the root cause, work can begin to fix it.

However the best course of actions is first to remove the creators of the symptom, so common sense solutions can build thousands of homes once these hundreds of thousands of multiple level gatekeepers can be transitioned into hundreds of thousands of trades certified home builders and get er done.
Not that everyone deserves a home, as homes have to be earned with work from real value added, wealth creating and producing paychecks.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

No I have friends there, why? Likely much like Saskatchewan.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Dunny Diver wrote: Dec 11th, 2023, 5:10 am
Medicine Hat -1 this morning 🤷‍♂️
Kelowna, -1C this morning.

Return to “Central Okanagan”