John Horgan's NDP are falling in the polls.

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: John Horgan's NDP are falling in the polls.

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Merry wrote:I think this is something that almost ALL of us can agree on.

I'd be shocked if even one of the brain-washed NDP zealots here would agree. To them the NDP can do no wrong, even if they do EXACTLY the same thing the Liberals did previously, and it was something they freaked out about and posted endless anti-Liberal screeds from their army of mom's basement-dwelling loser bloggers.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Merry wrote:. But what's the alternative? Queenie's right when she says voting for the Conservatives is a wasted vote.

Actually right now would be the perfect time to get off their hairy-hoops and start to grow, build and promote their party, now that most folk are completely disillusioned with the other mainstream party’s.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Merry wrote:I think this is something that almost ALL of us can agree on. But what's the alternative? Queenie's right when she says voting for the Conservatives is a wasted vote.

Yes, Queen K is right a lot of the time, and in this case she's bang on.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Hurtlander wrote: Actually right now would be the perfect time to get off their hairy-hoops ...

:spitcoffee:
Thanks a lot, Hurtlander. Now I gotta clean my screen. :-X
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

In an ideal world a new Party would be formed. Something more "middle of the road" than any of our current choices. A truly liberal thinking Party (not Liberal like the Libs here in BC, because they're far more right wing than true [small l] liberal thinkers usually are). But a Party that would appeal to voters on both sides of the political divide, while never pleasing either side all of the time.

One has only to read through these forums to realize that most folks (apart from the extremely partisan) can find things to like and dislike about BOTH our current Liberal and NDP Parties. And most of those same folks dislike decisions that are made for purely partisan purposes (catering to the Party base). We want a Party that makes decisions based on what's right for BC and it's citizens, as opposed to only considering what will help get them elected.

Would enough people vote for such a Party to get them into power? I don't know, but I'd sure like to see such a Party formed, if only to help keep the other guys honest.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Merry wrote:. But what's the alternative? Queenie's right when she says voting for the Conservatives is a wasted vote.

Hurtlander wrote: Actually right now would be the perfect time to get off their hairy-hoops and start to grow, build and promote their party, now that most folk are completely disillusioned with the other mainstream party’s.

I tend to vote Conservative for the most part and I'd love to see a viable Conservative party in BC BUT that isn't something that would happen anytime soon and unfortunately it would essentially guarantee NDP majority governments in the meantime which is simply not an option.

It's only because the Conservatives ran a candidate in Comox that we are even in this mess now.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Merry wrote:In an ideal world a new Party would be formed. Something more "middle of the road" than any of our current choices. A truly liberal thinking Party (not Liberal like the Libs here in BC, because they're far more right wing than true [small l] liberal thinkers usually are). But a Party that would appeal to voters on both sides of the political divide, while never pleasing either side all of the time.

One has only to read through these forums to realize that most folks (apart from the extremely partisan) can find things to like and dislike about BOTH our current Liberal and NDP Parties. And most of those same folks dislike decisions that are made for purely partisan purposes (catering to the Party base). We want a Party that makes decisions based on what's right for BC and it's citizens, as opposed to only considering what will help get them elected.

Would enough people vote for such a Party to get them into power? I don't know, but I'd sure like to see such a Party formed, if only to help keep the other guys honest.

The only way that happens is if big money is taken out of the equation. Unfortunately that issue has been sidestepped, even though most folks realize that big money in politics pollutes the political landscape.

The BC NDP/LEAP turned is inside out, lied to the voters, and is stealing big money from taxpayers to perpetuate a broken party system.

No taxpayer funds should be given to political parties, and donations should be $100 max. Then parties would have to be groups that essentially were volunteer organizations. 3rd party participation should be eliminated for 60-90 days before an election. Volunteer type organizations have to be fairly democratic and honest, or the volunteers leave...

Elections BC could be funded by taxpayers to actually run the election campaigns. That would give independents an equal chance...

As it stands, no matter what the electoral system, political diversity is not well served. That's why I say the whole PR thing is a Trojan horse.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Here's another reason that the NDP are falling in the polls:
VICTORIA — Almost two-thirds of those who pay the new housing speculation tax will be British Columbians, Finance Minister Carole James admitted Wednesday.

B.C. residents who own several homes will be disproportionally hit. About 20,000 of the 32,000 homes subject to the new tax will be owned by British Columbians and not foreigners or residents of other provinces, James revealed during a debate on her ministry’s spending plans in the legislature.

The homes are in all areas where the area the tax applies — Metro Vancouver, the Capital Regional District (excluding the Gulf Islands), Kelowna, West Kelowna, Nanaimo-Lantzville, Abbotsford, Chilliwack and Mission.

The revelation brought immediate condemnation from the Liberal Opposition, who said a speculation tax that mostly hits B.C. residents should really be called an “asset tax.”
http://vancouversun.com/news/politics/t ... -b-c-owned

I had hoped that Carole James would be at least one bright spot in the NDP government but she's been a huge disappointment.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by burnedatstake »

Urbane wrote:I had hoped that Carole James would be at least one bright spot in the NDP government but she's been a huge disappointment.

im sensing a pattern here. you are disappointed in all the wrong things. good thing you only have 1 vote.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

burnedatstake wrote:im sensing a pattern here. you are disappointed in all the wrong things. good thing you only have 1 vote.
Yes, I'm disappointed when promises are broken, regardless of who's breaking them, and I'm disappointed with new taxes that are totally unfair. You're fine with those things but I'm not.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Even Wilkinson recognises Horgan as a tax gouger.

BC Liberal Leader Andrew Wilkinson wants to give B.C. drivers a long-weekend gift.

Wilkinson called Wednesday for the governing NDP to provide temporary provincial fuel tax relief from soaring gas prices in B.C., which have been the highest in North America.

“It’s very clear British Columbians are the ones paying for Premier John Horgan’s political games and his government’s hefty tax grabs,” Wilkinson said in a press release. “The least he could do for families is give them a break at the gas pumps so they can enjoy their well-deserved holidays this year.”

Gas prices have climbed more than 32 cents per litre since last May long weekend, he noted.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/226517 ... -gas-break
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Urbane wrote:Here's another reason that the NDP are falling in the polls:
VICTORIA — Almost two-thirds of those who pay the new housing speculation tax will be British Columbians, Finance Minister Carole James admitted Wednesday.

B.C. residents who own several homes will be disproportionally hit. About 20,000 of the 32,000 homes subject to the new tax will be owned by British Columbians and not foreigners or residents of other provinces, James revealed during a debate on her ministry’s spending plans in the legislature.

The homes are in all areas where the area the tax applies — Metro Vancouver, the Capital Regional District (excluding the Gulf Islands), Kelowna, West Kelowna, Nanaimo-Lantzville, Abbotsford, Chilliwack and Mission.

The revelation brought immediate condemnation from the Liberal Opposition, who said a speculation tax that mostly hits B.C. residents should really be called an “asset tax.”
http://vancouversun.com/news/politics/t ... -b-c-owned

I had hoped that Carole James would be at least one bright spot in the NDP government but she's been a huge disappointment.

For a brief moment I thought there was a bright spot today.

I came in and saw the headline "Beer flows in the street" ( https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/226579 ... the-street ) then looked at the location and saw it was Victoria, so naturally I assumed Horgan had resigned. :biggrin: No such luck. :swear:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

burnedatstake wrote:
im sensing a pattern here. you are disappointed in all the wrong things. good thing you only have 1 vote.

so you are saying when one of the only hopes for someone in the NDP government with apparent brain-wave activity demonstrates that that brain activity is far more limited than expected, we are supposed NOT be disappointed? The bar within the NDP government is already so low, and yet here's Carole James, still falling below it. Urbane is right on here, as usual.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

https://globalnews.ca/news/4213400/bc-n ... ed-emails/
SNIP
Earlier this week, Don Wright, the head of the B.C. public service, Don Wright, acknowledged that senior staff in B.C. Premier John Horgan’s office improperly deleted all of their sent emails for nearly three and a half months.

Guess that senior staff member was just being tidy. Sniff sniff, I smell something fishy
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

normaM wrote:https://globalnews.ca/news/4213400/bc-ndp-deleted-emails/
SNIP
Earlier this week, Don Wright, the head of the B.C. public service, Don Wright, acknowledged that senior staff in B.C. Premier John Horgan’s office improperly deleted all of their sent emails for nearly three and a half months.

Guess that senior staff member was just being tidy. Sniff sniff, I smell something fishy

Hmmm... wouldn't be surprised if Geoff Meggs was one of them...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “B.C.”