Boomers Facilitating Communism for Restaurants

Jx3
Übergod

Re: Boomers Facilitating Communism for Restaurants

Post by Jx3 »

Rejigger wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 6:03 pm Both. Put your own oxygen mask on before helping others to put theirs on.

Elderly affixed their own oxygen masks a long time ago. Now they're helping others so that they can continue breathing.
Catsumi wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 6:32 pm Well said. Will it sink in?
Not a snowball's chance in hell will it sink in.
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 13th, 2021, 6:54 pm About as good as the boomer counter culture crowd had it sink in. I will say I feel fortunate that boomers were culled a lot more in Vietnam - than gen x on down were in wars. Which kinda sucked. But there were still long wars and conflicts regardless - for many years. Plus boomers and the powers that be - only use non-lethal ammo on protesters and journalists today. Unlike the 4 that were murdered in Ohio. Targeting journalists with "non lethal" ammo still takes out the eyes of said journalists on the streets though.

The research was done that says the copious amounts of tear gas used in the streets - is starting to show adverse effects on protesters. Women protesters in particular. Goes to show that the governments that boomers elect in the US - are barbaric enough to use tear gas on their own - but are civilized enough not to do so globally in wars. Yet that's all you saw. Smoke billowing everywhere. If the kids wanna express themselves these days on the streets - that's great. Maybe what they have to say will sink in with boomers. And I will just sit there and :clapping: cheer the kids on!
What does any of this god awful word salad have to do with a few elderly people choosing to volunteer their time to help small businesses get through a global pandemic? You know, the actual topic of this thread that you started?
:topic:
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I graduated high school in 1996. Yes, technically I'm not a boomer.
But I am interested in learning about the so called "good ole days".

At that time, unemployment across Canada was at a record high - Okanagan being one of the hardest hit. OVER 11% Unemployment. Millennials are all concerned about low pay... we were concerned about getting a job at all.

For a highschool male graduate, the job prospects were beyond slim. A female graduate could get a job in the service/tourism industry easily enough. But the males were screwed unless they had connections. Many of my friends went North and to Alberta.

I managed to get a job at McDonalds. I had friends already working there who put in a good word. I also immediately decided I needed to go to school although I couldn't afford it. Rather than taking the burden of student loans, I decided to work full time at McDonalds while attending school. The most exhausted 3 years of my life. Babies were easy in comparison.

After graduation, the job market still sucked. At least I could get a skilled job now, but pay for entry level positions was poor. I was making about 1.4x minimum wage ~$11/hr and doing little more than pay rent and vehicle payments on a cheap used car. I wanted to get away from renting and buy a home but there was simply no way.

Around 2000 my living arrangements changed (landlord sold the property). I still couldn't afford a down payment on a home, and would never be able to while renting, so I took a 2nd job as a farm hand at a vineyard. I got free room and board in exchange for working an average of 20hrs a week on the farm. I did that for 3 years while tucking away every spare dollar until I had a decent down payment on a house.

In 2003 I bought my 1st house. It had to have a rentable suite so I could afford the mortgage and I talked my girlfriend into moving in with me to help pay bills. I literally bought the cheapest house with a suite in Kelowna (technically there were a couple cheaper but they seriously should have been condemned).

Long story short - I truly feel for millennials, it's a rough go at the moment. I worry about my own children and their ability to be successful. BUT I think it's important for Millennials to understand that struggles to get established without external help are nothing new. Many of us struggled as well. For a period of approximately 7 years I was either working 2 jobs and 60hours a week, or going to school full time while working at McDonalds full time. All of that culminating in buying the cheapest house in town, renting out it's basement, and moving in the girlfriend/roommate in to pay for it.
rustled
Walks on Forum Water

Post by rustled »

TylerM4 wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 8:52 am I graduated high school in 1996. Yes, technically I'm not a boomer.
But I am interested in learning about the so called "good ole days".

At that time, unemployment across Canada was at a record high - Okanagan being one of the hardest hit. OVER 11% Unemployment. Millennials are all concerned about low pay... we were concerned about getting a job at all.

For a highschool male graduate, the job prospects were beyond slim. A female graduate could get a job in the service/tourism industry easily enough. But the males were screwed unless they had connections. Many of my friends went North and to Alberta.

I managed to get a job at McDonalds. I had friends already working there who put in a good word. I also immediately decided I needed to go to school although I couldn't afford it. Rather than taking the burden of student loans, I decided to work full time at McDonalds while attending school. The most exhausted 3 years of my life. Babies were easy in comparison.

After graduation, the job market still sucked. At least I could get a skilled job now, but pay for entry level positions was poor. I was making about 1.4x minimum wage ~$11/hr and doing little more than pay rent and vehicle payments on a cheap used car. I wanted to get away from renting and buy a home but there was simply no way.

Around 2000 my living arrangements changed (landlord sold the property). I still couldn't afford a down payment on a home, and would never be able to while renting, so I took a 2nd job as a farm hand at a vineyard. I got free room and board in exchange for working an average of 20hrs a week on the farm. I did that for 3 years while tucking away every spare dollar until I had a decent down payment on a house.

In 2003 I bought my 1st house. It had to have a rentable suite so I could afford the mortgage and I talked my girlfriend into moving in with me to help pay bills. I literally bought the cheapest house with a suite in Kelowna (technically there were a couple cheaper but they seriously should have been condemned).

Long story short - I truly feel for millennials, it's a rough go at the moment. I worry about my own children and their ability to be successful. BUT I think it's important for Millennials to understand that struggles to get established without external help are nothing new. Many of us struggled as well. For a period of approximately 7 years I was either working 2 jobs and 60hours a week, or going to school full time while working at McDonalds full time. All of that culminating in buying the cheapest house in town, renting out it's basement, and moving in the girlfriend/roommate in to pay for it.
You're right, it's not just us old folk. One of my kids graduated about the same time you did, and your effort sounds very similar to theirs. Jobs in remote locations or at 7-11 and in the fields, rent-pooling for shared accommodations in questionable housing with several other adults, paying for their educations while working, eventually saving enough to get the cheapest housing available and still slogging hard. They're all doing ok now, and some of them have grown kids starting on the same path of self-sufficiency. What I worry about most is the governments' debt load they'll be expected to pay off.

The people volunteering to help someone keep their business afloat during tougher-than-usual times are doing what energetic, empathetic people have always done in tough times - what we'll be pulling together to do more than usual of for a while to come. It's disappointing to me to see how someone has chosen to turn that into a negative.
"Today's TRUDEAU LIBERALS - Lowering Canadians' expectations is what we do best."
Rejigger
Übergod

Post by Rejigger »

TylerM4 wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 8:52 am Millennials are all concerned about low pay... we were concerned about getting a job at all.

Many of my friends went North and to Alberta.

It had to have a rentable suite so I could afford the mortgage and I talked my girlfriend into moving in with me to help pay bills. I literally bought the cheapest house with a suite in Kelowna (technically there were a couple cheaper but they seriously should have been condemned).

BUT I think it's important for Millennials to understand that struggles to get established without external help are nothing new. Many of us struggled as well. For a period of approximately 7 years I was either working 2 jobs and 60hours a week, or going to school full time while working at McDonalds full time. All of that culminating in buying the cheapest house in town, renting out it's basement, and moving in the girlfriend/roommate in to pay for it.
I see the same theme from some posters here with respect to:
-focusing on a job's pay as opposed to gaining experience
-unwilling to make sacrifices or accept there will be struggles
-being unable to see how baby steps add up or see the long-term benefits of pushing through the everyday grind
-thinking they have it so much harder than generations before them

Rooming with friends, driving a clunker - these things were rights of passage. Now they seem to be beneath a lot of young people. Who raised these kids (my generation!) and how did things stray so far?
~
nucksRnum1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Smurf wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 7:55 amDoesn't take much to confuse you does it.
Au contraire. I just don't respect the doublespeak people have used. I use the misrepresented word "communism" as an illustration of the retort against people speaking about social democracy. People seem to bring up communism as a failed system. And yet they are happy to support and prop up a broken capitalist democracy. Capitalism crashes every few years like clockwork. And the people whine on either side that the democracy doesn't work as well. Because there is no consensus anymore. I am looking for the reckoning and rock bottom. Then maybe people will consider social democracy to resist the 1 percent.

Russias communism crashed and they have the compromise of authoritarianism. People have wealth and opportunity under an authoritarian regime in Russia now. People are doing well in Russia. And people have the tough love in Russia. It seems like the model that Boomers would love in the west. I look forward to a time when resourceful people (who are not entitled) will rise to the top and there is competition. That will be a fun time. After all - that is exactly what the Trump regime created. That's what those Americans want. That's what that segment of Americans implemented during their 4 years in power. And that's eventually what we are gonna get. People at the top with all the money - and the rest using their currency of time to prop up the market for the chosen few.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Seems like so many people today, old and young alike, would sooner protest about every little thing than do something about them. Then you have these seniors trying to help out someone in need and some find it necessary to belittle them and actually a whole generation for actually doing something about a problem. They are terrible people. It boggles my mind.

I agree, I don't know how things have gotten this far. Maybe there is something to the theory of divisions making us easier to control. Someone doesn't want us to come together like these people are and work for common goals. Even when you are doing good you get jumped on.

Maybe people have too much time on their hands? They should get a job, help at a shelter, food bank or whatever.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
nucksRnum1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Smurf wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 2:46 pm Seems like so many people today, old and young alike, would sooner protest about every little thing than do something about them. Then you have these seniors trying to help out someone in need and some find it necessary to belittle them and actually a whole generation for actually doing something about a problem. They are terrible people. It boggles my mind.

I agree, I don't know how things have gotten this far. Maybe there is something to the theory of divisions making us easier to control. Someone doesn't want us to come together like these people are and work for common goals. Even when you are doing good you get jumped on.

Maybe people have too much time on their hands? They should get a job, help at a shelter, food bank or whatever.
The system isn't working anymore. So supporting it and propping it up is irresponsible to the generations that live with said problems. Volunteering so that wages can stay artificially low is a slap in the face for everyone.
Rejigger
Übergod

Post by Rejigger »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 5:06 pm Volunteering so that wages can stay artificially low is a slap in the face for everyone.
Well, if that's the price I have to pay to keep my fav restaurant open, then slap my face and call me Sally.
~
nucksRnum1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Rejigger wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 5:49 pm
nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 5:06 pm Volunteering so that wages can stay artificially low is a slap in the face for everyone.
Well, if that's the price I have to pay to keep my fav restaurant open, then slap my face and call me Sally.
~
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Rejigger wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 5:49 pm
~
:up: :laugh:
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Rejigger wrote:
nucksRnum1 wrote: ↑Yesterday, 5:06 pm
Volunteering so that wages can stay artificially low is a slap in the face for everyone.
:up: :up: :up:
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
bb49
Lord of the Board

Post by bb49 »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 5:06 pm The system isn't working anymore. So supporting it and propping it up is irresponsible to the generations that live with said problems. Volunteering so that wages can stay artificially low is a slap in the face for everyone.
The system is working.

I volunteer at a nonprofit and work alongside paid employees, along with a dozen or more other volunteers.
Without us volunteers, the company would have to hire more paid employees, costing them money they don't have.
But, maybe they could do if they paid everyone less.

Think about that nuck, volunteers allow companies to pay employees more.
THE TWO MICHAELS. Never forget them.

CHINA. Never forgive them.

$600 MILLION to boost a boy's ego. Why?
Rejigger
Übergod

Post by Rejigger »

bb49 wrote: Sep 15th, 2021, 12:20 pm
nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 5:06 pm The system isn't working anymore. So supporting it and propping it up is irresponsible to the generations that live with said problems. Volunteering so that wages can stay artificially low is a slap in the face for everyone.
The system is working.

I volunteer at a nonprofit and work alongside paid employees, along with a dozen or more other volunteers.
Without us volunteers, the company would have to hire more paid employees, costing them money they don't have.
But, maybe they could do if they paid everyone less.

Think about that nuck, volunteers allow companies to pay employees more.
Food banks, too. And certainly myriad of other not-for-profit organizations as well.
~
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

From what I can see, the system is working adequately. Capitalist countries continue to have the highest wealth, the highest standard of living, best healthcare, experience positive immigration, etc. What specifically do you believe isn't working?

Your reference to Russia reeks of naivety. I suspect you've never visited that part of the world much less lived there as a citizen, nor have you really done anything approaching in-depth study. Any country where you risk prison or death simply for speaking out against leadership isn't a land of milk and honey. Russia did really well when they transitioned away from communism and into authoritarianism you're correct in that. But to somehow take that as "authoritarianism is better than capitalism" is an incredible leap. By just about all metrics associated with quality of life, Russia still lags behind capitalistic countries, and to be frank- their economy in the last 5+ years has really slumped. To the casual observer, the grass is always greener...

"Volunteering so wages stay low is a slap in the face to everyone". This statement truly shows the narrow scope of thinking. You truly believe that it's a negative thing for everyone when the reality is that's FAR from the truth yet the strong self centric thinking doesn't allow it to been seen.

Return to “B.C.”