Wet’suwet’en Inspiration

captkirkcanada
Board Meister

Re: Wet’suwet’en Inspiration

Post by captkirkcanada »

Fixer 166 wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 5:44 am As I said a few pages ago in a post that got buried so quickly, people are watching

https://thetyee.ca/News/2022/01/10/BC-N ... en-Crisis/
Us settlers have no choice but to smarten up and stop trying to control and exploit indigenous people and land.
I wish people understood that COVID becoming endemic would mean that we had to think about it all the time, not that we never had to think about it again
DoDo1975
Board Meister

Post by DoDo1975 »

rustled wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 7:25 am
We've been talking quite a bit about outside interference via propaganda. For many practical reasons, "standing up for indigenous rights" ought to include defending the right of the Wet'suwet'en to negotiate agreements to benefit the Wet'suwet'en, and preventing a handful of people impeding those agreements as part of a power play.
Talking about propaganda. The media seem to want to keep referring to anywhere claimed as "their territory". Seeing as FN have claimed more than every square inch of this province, if it was their territory then they could do whatever they want wherever they want in British Columbia.

In reality, this is not their territory. This is land that is part of the 22,000 km that has been claimed. While the courts have affirmed that aboriginal title exists, that does not mean FN people have that title over whatever they claim is theirs. Legally, tests were set out that required proof of use and occupation. Estimates are that legitimate claims comprise anywhere from 2% to 10% of traditional territories. As an example, the heralded Tsilhqotin decision affirmed aboriginal title to less than 2.5% of claimed traditional territory and about another 2.5% was affirmed as land where they had aboriginal rights (but not aboriginal title).

The Wet'suwet'en and others know that they will get more by treating the entire traditional territory like it's theirs, then by going to court and proving it, or by negotiating treaties.

But Canada is here, the other 5 million of us are here in this province and we have rights as well. The media needs to stop this damaging narrative and start being clear in articles that this is not their land. In fact, it is disputed land that is part of unproven land claims that have been inflated to orders of magnitude greater in size than what is actually reasonable, just or provable.
rustled
Walks on Forum Water

Post by rustled »

DoDo1975 wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 8:47 am
rustled wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 7:25 am
We've been talking quite a bit about outside interference via propaganda. For many practical reasons, "standing up for indigenous rights" ought to include defending the right of the Wet'suwet'en to negotiate agreements to benefit the Wet'suwet'en, and preventing a handful of people impeding those agreements as part of a power play.
Talking about propaganda. The media seem to want to keep referring to anywhere claimed as "their territory". Seeing as FN have claimed more than every square inch of this province, if it was their territory then they could do whatever they want wherever they want in British Columbia.

In reality, this is not their territory. This is land that is part of the 22,000 km that has been claimed. While the courts have affirmed that aboriginal title exists, that does not mean FN people have that title over whatever they claim is theirs. Legally, tests were set out that required proof of use and occupation. Estimates are that legitimate claims comprise anywhere from 2% to 10% of traditional territories. As an example, the heralded Tsilhqotin decision affirmed aboriginal title to less than 2.5% of claimed traditional territory and about another 2.5% was affirmed as land where they had aboriginal rights (but not aboriginal title).

The Wet'suwet'en and others know that they will get more by treating the entire traditional territory like it's theirs, then by going to court and proving it, or by negotiating treaties.

But Canada is here, the other 5 million of us are here in this province and we have rights as well. The media needs to stop this damaging narrative and start being clear in articles that this is not their land. In fact, it is disputed land that is part of unproven land claims that have been inflated to orders of magnitude greater in size than what is actually reasonable, just or provable.
While I don't disagree, my objective in posting is to continue pointing out how ridiculous it is for people to claim they're supporting the Wet'suwet'ens' right to manage their affairs when in truth they are supporting people (including the Wet'suwet'en protesters and other FN members engaging in a power struggle for personal gain), who are purposefully interfering with an agreement the Wet'suwet'en negotiated for the benefit of the Wet'suwet'en.

The gullible are being used by not-so-gullible folk whose agenda has nothing to do with supporting the Wet'suwet'en. I think from some of what we've seen here, some of them now know this but are too married to their narrative (and perhaps their vision of themselves as "doing the right thing") to acknowledge that they're being used against the Wet'suwet'en.
DoDo1975
Board Meister

Post by DoDo1975 »

rustled wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 9:04 am [
While I don't disagree, my objective in posting is to continue pointing out how ridiculous it is for people to claim they're supporting the Wet'suwet'ens' right to manage their affairs when in truth they are supporting people (including the Wet'suwet'en protesters and other FN members engaging in a power struggle for personal gain), who are purposefully interfering with an agreement the Wet'suwet'en negotiated for the benefit of the Wet'suwet'en.

The gullible are being used by not-so-gullible folk whose agenda has nothing to do with supporting the Wet'suwet'en. I think from some of what we've seen here, some of them now know this but are too married to their narrative (and perhaps their vision of themselves as "doing the right thing") to acknowledge that they're being used against the Wet'suwet'en.
Rustled, I also agree with you; just think the land status needs to be continually restated for context or it gets lost. With respect to whatever rights and title might exist you are correct as far as I am concerned.

Much of the support from around the world that is being provided to the protesters is due to the mistaken belief that this land is actually theirs. Nobody stops to ask the question of whether the land is actually theirs, they just assume that it is because that's what articles say. If the articles were clear that FN have actually claimed the entire province, and that the land in question is every stinking inch of the province, I suspect their support level would drop down to nothing.
rustled
Walks on Forum Water

Post by rustled »

DoDo1975 wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 9:29 am Rustled, I also agree with you; just think the land status needs to be continually restated for context or it gets lost. With respect to whatever rights and title might exist you are correct as far as I am concerned.
:up: :up:
DoDo1975 wrote:Much of the support from around the world that is being provided to the protesters is due to the mistaken belief that this land is actually theirs. Nobody stops to ask the question of whether the land is actually theirs, they just assume that it is because that's what articles say. If the articles were clear that FN have actually claimed the entire province, and that the land in question is every stinking inch of the province, I suspect their support level would drop down to nothing.
I'm not sure it would drop, though. The majority of this support seems to come from people who genuinely believe those who inherited First Nations DNA are inherently and by their nature better stewards of the land - a racist assumption that ignores human nature in favour of DNA-based stereotypes.

People who "think" in those terms are likely to believe that if the entire province was under First Nations governance, the environment would be "saved".
DoDo1975
Board Meister

Post by DoDo1975 »

rustled wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 9:45 am
I'm not sure it would drop, though. The majority of this support seems to come from people who genuinely believe those who inherited First Nations DNA are inherently and by their nature better stewards of the land - a racist assumption that ignores human nature in favour of DNA-based stereotypes.

People who "think" in those terms are likely to believe that if the entire province was under First Nations governance, the environment would be "saved".
We can agree to disagree a little here. I would say the staunchest supporters feel that way, but the majority of supporters think they are talking about reservations. I think the support is actually quite broad, with the vast majority being on the ignorant side (when it comes to the actual details of the status of the land) and the small minority actually believing or pretending to believe in FN environmental divinity. But that''s just my opinion.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

rustled wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 9:04 am
Ellis Ross: Leonardo DiCaprio is wrong — the Coastal GasLink Pipeline is good for Indigenous people

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/ellis- ... ous-people

Opinion: We are Wet'suwet'en and the Coastal GasLink pipeline protesters do not represent us
We want the protesters to cease their blockades and stop misleading people

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/opinio ... present-us

So who are you going to believe on this issue? Actual Indigenous leaders and Wet'suwet'en people, or some wanna-be Stalin keyboard warrior? It's pretty obvious who is on the wrong side of history here, and it's anyone still babbling about "imperialism" and trying to apply 19th century terms to the current day, and specifically pipelines.

Let push ahead and move this forward, for the benefit of all. We are all one people here, Canadians, working together. And we are much stronger that way.
Epistemic insouciance is a casual lack of concern about the facts or an indifference to whether one's statements have any basis in reality. From now on the Liberal Party of Canada will be known as the "Epistemic Insouciance Party of Canada".
captkirkcanada
Board Meister

Post by captkirkcanada »

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2022/0 ... al-gaslink

Pressure continues to mount against the Coastal GasLink pipeline in Interior B.C., as posters appeared in Vancouver on Thursday highlighting the violation of Indigenous rights and the impacts of climate change.

The first poster, put up at the intersection of Main and Union, shows armed RCMP agents with the text: “Reconciliation won’t come at the barrel of a gun. Call off the RCMP.”

The posters, put up by allies of the Gidimt’en clan, are being used to call attention to the construction of the Coastal GasLink pipeline, designed to supply LNG Canada’s Kitimat facility with fracked methane from the Dawson Creek area of B.C. The project runs through the unceded territory of the Wet’suwet’en Nation and has been met with resistance from the nation’s hereditary leadership who hold authority over traditional territories.

The link between the RCMP their pension funds and this gas pipeline is a situation that will not stand for much longer.

In December, Chief Woos spoke at National Australia Bank’s annual shareholder meeting to challenge the company’s financing of Coastal GasLink. It’s expected the pipeline’s other financiers will see continued pressure this year.
I wish people understood that COVID becoming endemic would mean that we had to think about it all the time, not that we never had to think about it again
rustled
Walks on Forum Water

Post by rustled »

Chief Woos is certainly enjoying the perks of office.

I often wonder if people from outside the area understand who Frank Alec is, and what he has done, and how he acquired the title.

Here's an interesting little backgrounder about Frank Alec, found on a website maintained by people who know a great deal more about him and what's going on in Wet'suwet'en territory than many posting here:
https://www.bc-north.com/2021/12/24/fra ... r-profile/

Some good stuff on that site.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

rustled wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 10:10 am Chief Woos is certainly enjoying the perks of office.

I often wonder if people from outside the area understand who Frank Alec is, and what he has done, and how he acquired the title.

Here's an interesting little backgrounder about Frank Alec, found on a website maintained by people who know a great deal more about him and what's going on in Wet'suwet'en territory than many posting here:
https://www.bc-north.com/2021/12/24/fra ... r-profile/

Some good stuff on that site.
Kind of goes to support my position that it's always about money, and the feigned concern about land is exactly that.

It also appears to confirm what I've stated earlier, that several of the hereditary chief titles were stolen. Frank Alec is more like a gangster than a hereditary chief, not to mention not even Wet'suwet'en.
“We isolate now so when we gather again, no one is missing" - Unknown
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

^^^^
LOL - what a joke, that "National Observer" is a total fake news outlet.
Pressure continues to mount against the Coastal GasLink pipeline in Interior B.C., as posters appeared in Vancouver on Thursday highlighting the violation of Indigenous rights and the impacts of climate change.
Except that there are no Indigenous rights being violated here, and man-made climate change (I assume that's what they are referring to) doesn't exist. If they are referring to naturally occurring climate change, that has nothing to do with pipelines. These people are lunatics. And total liars.
The link between the RCMP their pension funds and this gas pipeline is a situation that will not stand for much longer.
Oh my goodness, WHO CARES if the RCMP pension fund, or any fund, owns shares in Trans Canada Pipelines. TransCanada pipelines is an excellent company and is widely owned by funds and investors all over Canada. To say that there is a "link" here is just so freaking dumb, and exposes the sheer ignorance of anyone who would even make such a silly claim. What utter nonsense.

In December, Chief Woos spoke at National Australia Bank’s annual shareholder meeting to challenge the company’s financing of Coastal GasLink. It’s expected the pipeline’s other financiers will see continued pressure this year.
And let's hope that the financiers keep telling these idiot "protesters" to get lost. They are liars.
Epistemic insouciance is a casual lack of concern about the facts or an indifference to whether one's statements have any basis in reality. From now on the Liberal Party of Canada will be known as the "Epistemic Insouciance Party of Canada".
captkirkcanada
Board Meister

Post by captkirkcanada »

The Indigenous Bar Association in Canada (IBA) has appealed to the British Columbia government to implement the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP) relating to decisions and actions affecting Indigenous people’s natural resources.

According to IBA, while the federal government had already established a process for the domestic implementation of the UNDRIP through Bill C-15, the suppression and outright denial of Indigenous laws and the rights of Indigenous people have persisted across Canada due to the failure of the federal and provincial governments to act on the objectives of UNDRIP.

https://www.canadianlawyermag.com/pract ... rip/363260

more and more voices are demanding a better approach
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Why would they not want reporters there?
https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2022/01/18/ ... Reporters/
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
DoDo1975
Board Meister

Post by DoDo1975 »

Fixer 166 wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 5:37 pm Why would they not want reporters there?
https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2022/01/18/ ... Reporters/
Maybe they are tiring of the reporters continuing to push the false narrative that its FN land when it isn't.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

captkirkcanada wrote: Jan 19th, 2022, 2:26 pm

more and more voices are demanding a better approach
No they aren't. The only "better approach" is to get this pipeline built.

Return to “B.C.”