BC Earthquakes

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: BC Earthquakes

Post by GordonH »

Bumped
Since I don't monitor quakes under 6.0, I find out via news services. Here is a link:
https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes ... us1000gel7

Added later: if you are interested in quake activities in last 30 days in BC, just click on first link in my OP.
If a caution window pops up just click on continue anyway, it will show all quakes 2.5 & larger in last 30 days (within area of window). You can zoom in on just BC if you want, or anywhere
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Check out the informative Canada earthquake web site. http://www.earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca/index-en.php
The biggest in Canada, was just west of Victoria >9, approximately 1700. The tsunami wave hit Vancouver and rebounded onto the east side of Vancouver Island, causing permanent changes to the geography. Looking at the data, Canada seems to get about 60 per year, so the plates are always on the move.
Attachments
9D18067F-897F-4E02-8382-4B0DE017BE20.jpeg
260C0A74-B339-4F95-BDD8-C61EEF01CBCA.jpeg
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ its because of that 9.0 quake in the Cascadia subduction zone in 1700 +/-, that is why the area is overdue for another 8.0 to 9.0+ quake.
Right now it's not if, but just when.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Some of the fault lines can be seen on Google Earth. The bunching can be seen where the Pacific plate slides under the North American plate.
Attachments
2707FAA8-A45F-4684-B7E2-7236F9649D22.jpeg
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

nepal wrote: Looking at the data, Canada seems to get about 60 per year, so the plates are always on the move.

I thought this is a good thing. Way back in first year geography, many smaller quakes/tremors is showing the plates are moving, not getting bound up and potentially releasing at once....8-9 magnitude.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

nepal wrote:
Looking at the data, Canada seems to get about 60 per year, so the plates are always on the move.

seewood wrote:I thought this is a good thing. Way back in first year geography, many smaller quakes/tremors is showing the plates are moving, not getting bound up and potentially releasing at once....8-9 magnitude.

Doesn't necessarily mean so.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Occording to a book about the geography of the Okanagan Valley, the east side is 6 billion year old hard rock North American plate, and the west side is 40 million year old soft rock Pacific plate. This is where the plates started bunching up, forcing up the Cascades. The ocean used to start here.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/243393 ... ind-quakes

There was only 1 quake recorded of above 2.5, which I posted above in the quote.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Attachments
3D8488E9-DD0C-4155-9434-12F2375CE556.jpeg
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

nepal wrote:Plates are always on the move

http://www.earthquakescanada.nrcan.gc.ca//index-en.php

Most of those earthquakes did NOT occur because of plate movement... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Ame ... nPlate.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Return to “B.C.”