Site C

lasnomadas
Übergod

Re: Site C

Post by lasnomadas »

The only reason I even mention Christy and her BC Liberals is because it is they who instigated this white elephant, beginning in the 80s when they called themselves 'Social Credit. (Yes, I know, Christy was likely still trying unsuccessfully to get a university degree at the time.)

If it had been the NDP, or the Libertarian, the Cascadia, the Communist, or Your Political Party of BC leader who conspired with BC Hydro to bring this abomination back into the fore, I would still be opposed to it. Andrew Weaver of the Green Party is the only leader who is totally opposed to Site C, yet not once have any of you pro-Site C commenters denounced his opposition. Why not?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Because the Green Party is a toothless dog.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

That's what you think.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

lasnomadas wrote:The only reason I even mention Christy and her BC Liberals is because it is they who instigated this white elephant, beginning in the 80s when they called themselves 'Social Credit. (Yes, I know, Christy was likely still trying unsuccessfully to get a university degree at the time.)

If it had been the NDP, or the Libertarian, the Cascadia, the Communist, or Your Political Party of BC leader who conspired with BC Hydro to bring this abomination back into the fore, I would still be opposed to it. Andrew Weaver of the Green Party is the only leader who is totally opposed to Site C, yet not once have any of you pro-Site C commenters denounced his opposition. Why not?
I've been discussing the merits of the Site C dam and that means talking about the project itself rather than making snide remarks about any politicians. I prefer an intelligent discussion rather than "denouncing" anyone. And who cares whether or not Christy Clark completed her degree at SFU? That has absolutely zero to do with Site C.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lasnomadas wrote:That's what you think.

No, that's what the voters have said every election!

Do you need a link for confirmation of that too?
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

@Urbane:
Good for you. I expect from now on if there is any more to say about the Site C dam, you and the Site C proponents will stick to the environmental and economic reasons for your opinions.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ Precisely what hobbyguy and a number of the rest of us have been doing. It's you and your cohorts that keep bringing up the Liberals.

Posts backed by scientific data have been offered up, showing why solar and wind are not the solution to the BC grid future needs.

Data has been provided from statscan, showing population growth of at least another half million people in the next decade, based on multiple decades of growth patterns, and using the lowest figures.

Data has been provided to support the fact that hydro is the cleanest form of power generation.

Only problem I see, is that all the data gets ignored, because it is provided by people accused of being Liberals whether they actually are or not.

Methinks it's time your team lay aside political bias, and actually explore data that shows why site "C" is a good idea.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

I don't have a 'team'. I'm just one British Columbian trying to convey to other British Columbians what I have learned about the history of the Site C dam, why BC Hydro is determined to build it, and why I and many others think it's not needed .
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

lasnomadas could you please give some actual facts as to why you and many others feel the way you do. Hobbyguy has given a ton of facts as to why we need site C and why it is at this time the absolute best way to go. I have yet to see any facts to prove him wrong. Lots of speculation but nothing factual. Give us some proof the population is not growing. Give us proof that wind and or solar as they currently stand are legitimate options for BC. Just give us some proof of anything other than the way you feel, which even you have admitted is biased.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

I don't think 'bias' is the word you're looking for. There is nothing unreasonable about wanting to protect agricultural land, wildlife habitat, and people's homes from an unnecessary mega-hydroelectric dam. And I don't see why I should do your research for you, either. The proof is right there in front of your face if you ever left the comfort of your home long enough to drive up to the Peace River Valley where the flooding is to take place.

You have been presented with proof of the economical side of this white elephant, but you refuse to believe the experts who say that since BC Hydro decided to side-step a BCUC investigation into the benefits, no one can say what they might possibly be, aside from powering uncertain LNG projects that will likely never come to fruition. Even if they do, British Columbians will be stuck with the financing of every aspect of them.

If you can show me some links that prove taxpayers will NOT be subsidizing LNG plants, including the lower energy rates that BC Hydro has promised, please feel free to do so.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lasnomadas wrote: Andrew Weaver of the Green Party is the only leader who is totally opposed to Site C, yet not once have any of you pro-Site C commenters denounced his opposition. Why not?

and let me guess, Mr. Weaver thinks that all the electricity needs of BC can be supplied via unicorn farts and fairy dust right? Because it sure as hell can't be supplied by wind and solar, and anyone who says that it can is someone who can't do even basic math.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

One day you'll find that it doesn't take a degree in whatever you think you're skilled at to know that common sense will always trump ignorant sarcastic remarks.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

lasnomadas wrote:One day you'll find that it doesn't take a degree in whatever you think you're skilled at to know that common sense will always trump ignorant sarcastic remarks.
Those using common sense know that to cancel the project now would make no sense. And yet, John Horgan won't rule out doing just that. About half of the $9 billion projected cost has already been spent or is committed so killing the project this far in would be incredibly irresponsible.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

lasnomadas wrote:One day you'll find that it doesn't take a degree in whatever you think you're skilled at to know that common sense will always trump ignorant sarcastic remarks.

That day has arrived. That's why Site C is going ahead. Common sense trumped ignorant people.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Let me put it this way........suppose someone stole a ten dollar bill out of your wallet, and you only had two options available to you: Either accept the return of half of it, or pay an additional $10 to the thief. Which would you do?

This is basically what we're up against, since we know the history of large projects in this province, especially in the last 1 1/2 decades. This is a bad project, even more so than it was 30 years ago. We're just going to have to stop it and chalk the whole thing up to experience, and hope we'll never get sucked into something like this again.

Return to “B.C.”