Changes to B.C.’s Emergency Program Act

Drip_Torch
Guru

Changes to B.C.’s Emergency Program Act

Post by Drip_Torch »

:135:
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jun 23rd, 2018, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
spokenut

Re: Changes to B.C.’s Emergency Program Act

Post by spokenut »

I hope people can still recognize when there is something that can be done, like using a shovel or extinguisher to put a spot fire out, and not simply take a photo of it. I do not believe the police should be able to illegally enter a dwelling under an evacuation order, like the abuse that took place in High River, AB. Those citizens who are willing, able and equipped to protect their property should be left to do so, but what is the point of having an evacuation order, if it's not an order?
Also, do you really think all the people that choose to ignore an order are capable, and what about the ones that clearly don’t understand the situation they are putting themselves in?
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

:200:
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jun 23rd, 2018, 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

:cuss:
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jun 23rd, 2018, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

:-X
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jun 23rd, 2018, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Good post, but I'm curious what you envision the application of "shelter in place" during a massive fire would be.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jun 23rd, 2018, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

[icon_lol2.gif]
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jun 23rd, 2018, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

:200:
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jun 23rd, 2018, 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

We wouldnt even be having this discussion if the bclibs had put the filmon report in place . Now in regards to leaving in all for folks being able to try save their own property. This last fire season proved bcfore service has declined in last 16 years. Lots of bad choices were made.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jun 23rd, 2018, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I didn't know this thread existed until an hour ago. What a wild ride reading through your posts, so thank you very much for all your effort in preparing and posting.

25 years ago I visited Gatlinburg and sorrow for that area as much as for our poor, beat up and burnt B.C.

You bring up so many salient points. One is that we have intruded so far into the wild areas and where we go, disaster surely follows. I question the "need" for ATV trails that tear up the land, inevitably harass wildlife and where users light fires or toss cigs. If I remember correctly, the horrific Ft. Mac fire started on an ATV trail.

An almost annual concern is that firebans are declared well after conflagrations are underway. Never could figure out why this is so. Perhaps you can give a definitive answer?

I agree with you that criminalizing those who stay behind to fight fires on their properties is pointless, but just how do you determine in advance and not in the final moments of an evac order, who can stay behind?

I've been fortunate enough to live in B.C. over the last forty years and luckily enjoyed beautiful summers; I cannot recall such ugly times as in the past couple of years and now we are being told to expect more of the same.

What to do? What will be left after the beetle, massive clearcut logging and now immense fires. Yes, our forests are slowly marching northwards towards melting permafrost (bogs) so will we see the extinction of pine forests?

I feel so sad for the loss of forests and wildlife habitat.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

:cuss:
Attachments
Joe Alphonse, Facebook:  New West Coun.  Chuck Puchhmayr, Joe Alphonse and fire engine donation
Joe Alphonse, Facebook: New West Coun. Chuck Puchhmayr, Joe Alphonse and fire engine donation
The-tool-that-Ed-made.jpg
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jun 23rd, 2018, 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Sadly, regardless of rules, regulations, oversight and layers of authority to "prevent" careless folk from playing with fire during this very hot and dry summer, it did very little good. Unlike you, I do not trust people to act in a grownup responsible manner. There is just no help for our idiot population. It is too much trouble for them to use the new campfire rings and just too hard to stay off ATV's in the bush and, I am pretty sure, these are the same ones who take their garbage, old vehicles and renovation trash for dropoff into the forests.

In a perfect world we could take those folk who believe it is their right to start fires in extremely hot conditions, to deal with flight through flames as the driver in the Gatlinburg clip did. Then, maybe they could begin to imagine the horror of being an animal, running for its life, tiring, exhausted and then being burnt to death. Those are the ones that could run.

If you haven't already, perhaps you could review the fire thread of this summer. There was a very good post from an Australian who described how his country is handling fire season. He was shouted down, naturally, by our very own Castanut finest. Australia has suffered mightily from fire. Perhaps we could learn something from them?

You are the expert DripTorch. Hope to hear more from you.

:130:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

:130:
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jun 23rd, 2018, 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “B.C.”