BC Paramedics petition

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

BC Paramedics petition

Post by gordon_as »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/189 ... ek-support

Something fishy about this. I guess I'm just a cynic. Having a hard time believing that they want to be deemed an essential service , which would put them in a position where the govt could legislate them back to work in the event of a strike. The older stories also mentioned that this move would get them out of a bargaining unit which also includes lowly lab techs and hospital cleaners. More recent write ups don't mention that fact.

Personally , I suspect that the Paramedics want to be lumped in with firefighters who have been getting very substantial pay increases with every new contract , rather than with support staff who get the standard lower than the cost of living increases.

Tell me why I'm wrong.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: BC Paramedics petition

Post by mr.bandaid »

gordon_as wrote:http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/189026/Paramedics-seek-support

Something fishy about this. I guess I'm just a cynic. Having a hard time believing that they want to be deemed an essential service , which would put them in a position where the govt could legislate them back to work in the event of a strike. The older stories also mentioned that this move would get them out of a bargaining unit which also includes lowly lab techs and hospital cleaners. More recent write ups don't mention that fact.

Personally , I suspect that the Paramedics want to be lumped in with firefighters who have been getting very substantial pay increases with every new contract , rather than with support staff who get the standard lower than the cost of living increases.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

Okay, you're wrong. First of all, they have already been legislated back to work numerous times while on strike. The last time was just before the Owelypics. Secondly, they are NOT in a union with the "lowly lab techs" but nice of you to insult both government workers. Probably why recent write ups don't mention that. Being an essential service means two things, they can't strike and they can't be locked out. A step towards binding arbitration which can go either way. Lastly, what is wrong with getting a better wage? When I retired after 32 years I made $12,000.00 less than a 3 year Fire Fighter.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

That's funny , all of the earlier press releases from the Paramedics mentioned the others in the current bargaining unit , and specifically mentioned that they would no longer be in that bargaining unit.

You could have at least tried to hide the fact that you were a Paramedic , it would have lent credence to your statements.

As far as insulting lab techs and cleaners......... a) I was making a point b) I am one of those lowly employees
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

http://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/188 ... ek-support

"Currently, the roughly 4,000 ambulance paramedics are under the Health Authorities Act, meaning they bargain along with hospital support staff like lab techs, clerks and cleaning staff."
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

gordon_as wrote:Something fishy about this. I guess I'm just a cynic. Having a hard time believing that they want to be deemed an essential service , which would put them in a position where the govt could legislate them back to work in the event of a strike.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

We have a provincial government that allowed the BC Ambulance Paramedics to work to rule for months, then without any escalation of employee actions the government legislated them back to work with a corresponding forced contract (Bill 21), just before the Olympics.

The same provincial government that deemed teachers an essential service !!!!!

What I see the Ambulance Paramedics doing is basically saying "we feel our demands for wage and working conditions are on such a strong ground that we invite binding arbitration (part of the "Fire and Police Servies Collective Bargaining Act") Verses dealing with a corrupt employer who has a history of using their ill-gotten power to use their legislative power to "handle" a labor disputes between themselves as the employer and employees.

Is there anyone out there that thinks our Ambulance Paramedics shouldn't be on a level platform with Fire and Police ??
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

my5cents wrote:Is there anyone out there that thinks our Ambulance Paramedics shouldn't be on a level platform with Fire and Police ??

They're not even close.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

my5cents wrote:Is there anyone out there that thinks our Ambulance Paramedics shouldn't be on a level platform with Fire and Police ??

Even Steven wrote:They're not even close.

If you're having heart attack, stroke or seriously injured. At that moment you hope they are.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

GordonH wrote:If you're having heart attack, stroke or seriously injured. At that moment you hope they are.

Actually, I've been rushed in an ambulance to a hospital before. What's that have anything to do with their compensation?

Their job descriptions are vastly different. The skills required for the job are vastly different. Why would their pay be the same?
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Even Steven wrote:Actually, I've been rushed in an ambulance to a hospital before. What's that have anything to do with their compensation?

Their job descriptions are vastly different. The skills required for the job are vastly different. Why would their pay be the same?

How about you explain that, Steven.

A doctor and a rocket scientist's jobs are "vastly different" but their pay may be the same because of the training and edjucation they need.

Are you saying ambulance paramedics have less training and are less important than a fire fighter or police officer ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Many of those subject to "binding arbitration" often get a better deal from that method than they can via normal collective bargaining. Hence the support for "binding arbitration".
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

my5cents wrote:Are you saying ambulance paramedics have less training and are less important than a fire fighter or police officer ?

I wouldn't put labels such as "less important" on anything. Importance doesn't equal higher pay. For example hockey players are not very important in grand scheme of things, yet they're paid more than doctors. Actors are also not very important, yet make more money. Prime Minister of Canada is paid less than a sports athlete, yet something tells me Prime Minister of Canada is more important.

The jobs of paramedics and police officers and fire-fighters are also very different and they're compensated differently. That's it.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

gordon_as wrote:That's funny , all of the earlier press releases from the Paramedics mentioned the others in the current bargaining unit , and specifically mentioned that they would no longer be in that bargaining unit.

You could have at least tried to hide the fact that you were a Paramedic , it would have lent credence to your statements.

As far as insulting lab techs and cleaners......... a) I was making a point b) I am one of those lowly employees

I'm not a paramedic, I was years ago but not anymore. Why in the name of HE double hockey sticks would I want to hide the fact that I was a paramedic? wouldn't you think that is where yo would get the answers to your rather biased question? As far as I can remember though the lowly lab techs are in the HSA and the cleaners are part of the facilities union. Why they would lump paramedics in with a skill set that in no way parallels what they actually do is beside me.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

I response to not even close. I worked in a community that had one of the highest trauma stats in Canada. I was trained in the JAWS of life and steep slope rescue primarily as a result of the local Fire departments refusal to leave the community and I understand that. I have been shot at, had knives pulled on me, was even given a concussion from a patient and have to run from violent situations more time than I care to remember. But hey even steven, as long as we are there when you call eh, who cares what we are paid. There is a very good reason they can't retain paramedics in this province, they are treated very poorly.
Last edited by mr.bandaid on Feb 19th, 2017, 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Even Steven wrote:I wouldn't put labels such as "less important" on anything. Importance doesn't equal higher pay. For example hockey players are not very important in grand scheme of things, yet they're paid more than doctors. Actors are also not very important, yet make more money. Prime Minister of Canada is paid less than a sports athlete, yet something tells me Prime Minister of Canada is more important.

The jobs of paramedics and police officers and fire-fighters are also very different and they're compensated differently. That's it.

Well this started out within a discussion regarding BC Paramedics wanting to be designated as an essential service.

I stated : "Is there anyone out there that thinks our Ambulance Paramedics shouldn't be on a level platform with Fire and Police ??"

You stated : "They're not even close."

You've gone on to say : "Actually, I've been rushed in an ambulance to a hospital before. What's that have anything to do with their compensation? Their job descriptions are vastly different. The skills required for the job are vastly different. Why would their pay be the same?"

Leads me to believe you should do some research on the requirements and duties of all three, because they are all very similar, none have the same job skills or training requirements, but all are more or less equal.

I suspect you might be of the mindset that the "real lifesavers" are the fire fighters and all the ambulance service do is supply the horizontal transportation. Also that police and fire are exposed to the greatest risk.

It’s interesting that depending on the source, the hierarchy of dangerous jobs changes.
One doesn’t have any of the three even in the top 10 of dangerous jobs. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the ... e16352517/

Another places ambulance paramedic at third most dangerous and firefighter at fifth (after farmers). http://www.careercast.com/slide/most-da ... irefighter

I think if you enlightened yourself, your opinion of fair compensation for the three would change.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

my5cents wrote:I suspect you might be of the mindset that the "real lifesavers" are the fire fighters and all the ambulance service do is supply the horizontal transportation. Also that police and fire are exposed to the greatest risk.

Why would being exposed to some sort of risk be a part of compensation discussion? Just because someone's job is more dangerous than others doesn't mean they're getting paid more.

Return to “B.C.”