BC Election issues

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: BC Election issues

Post by maryjane48 »

well, now we know... that unions pay for training ?yes . surprised you have no clue :130:
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Three environmental and public advocacy groups are calling on the B.C. Liberals to return hundreds of thousands of dollars donated by Kinder Morgan and its affiliated companies prior to the approval of their controversial pipeline expansion project.

The groups — Stand.earth, Dogwood Initiative, and Leadnow — say the party’s acceptance of more than $770,000 in political donations from Kinder Morgan and affiliated companies and lobbyists casts a cloud of suspicion over Premier Christy Clark’s decision to give the $6.8-billion project the green light in January.

“(The Liberals) have already accepted so much money from the pipeline company they can’t ask voters to trust them until they return the funds,” said Sven Biggs, a climate and energy campaigner at Stand.earth, formerly ForestEthics.

The groups have identified $771,168 in donations to the B.C. Liberals from Kinder Morgan and related companies based on Elections B.C. records. The figure could be higher if lobbyists associated with the project also made donations under their names.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Even if Christy did give back the $770,000.00 she would still have more in the dirty money war chest than she is actually allowed to spend on the campaign. We all know they would work something out to make sure that at the end of the day , the Liberals would still be compensated for their favor.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ More evidence that both major parties are sleazy. The NDP took in a lot of corporate donations in 2013 when it looked to many like they would win the election. I don't recall the NDP returning any donations back then. Anyway, I'm all for getting rid of the corporate and union donations. On that most of us agree.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

A B.C. cabinet minister from Surrey is under fire for handing out government cheques to a local community group from his B.C. Liberal Party campaign office.

Peter Fassbender, minister of community, sport and cultural development, was photographed giving two Government of B.C. cheques, worth a total of $75,000, to the Surrey Newton Rotary Club while in his campaign office March 18.

The money was provided in his capacity as minister. But the setting, in Fassbender’s party campaign office, surrounded by re-election material and large B.C. Liberal signs, is drawing criticism because it makes the taxpayer money look like it comes from the Liberal party and not the province.

“It’s highly inappropriate and it shows a complete disregard for what British Columbians have done — they work hard, pay their tax dollars and see their tax dollars being used for partisan purposes,” said Glen Sanford, the B.C. NDP’s deputy provincial director. “It’s a gross misuse of taxpayer dollars.”

more corruption more arrogance by a govt that needs to be booted to history
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Yes and such conduct is always pointed out by the NDP, not because of any implications of misconduct, it's just plain old ordinary everyday jealousy.

I've seen every flavor of political party draw attention to positive things that they do, and frankly it doesn't bother me.

Why shouldn't the people be reminded what leadership they've benefited under?

Heaven forbid if by some strange event the NDP win, it'll be a long dry spell, before anyone who isn't union connected, sees anything good come from them. :200:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:No, the LEAP manifesto will go nowhere. It's spin machine crap. Horgan has said time and time again he was not involved with the fed spin and he has been steadfast in his statement: "It's not for me."
I just saw the ad again and I must say it's effective. There's some information provided about what the Leap Manifesto would do to the BC economy, i.e. devastate it, and then there's a quote from Albert Premier Rachel Notley disavowing it. But then comes the smoking gun. John Horgan, right there on the video, says that he doesn't disagree with the bulk of the Leap Manifesto and that he'll bring in his own Leap Manifesto to BC. This is how John Horgan is trying to appeal to centrist voters?? It's bad policy, bad politics, and bad judgment on his part. The Leap Manifesto will be an issue in this election campaign.
Atomoa
Guru

Post by Atomoa »

Atomoa wrote:This "letter" might as well a paid-advertisement by the BC Liberals.

I wonder how much Sam Singla donated to the BC Liberal Party?

http://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/19 ... in-Kelowna

Nick Frost and Castanet in Full election mode.

Castanet needs to do a better job at hiding their bias.

First they post Sam's letter which reads like a BC liberal ad, then they post a follow up letter by Harvie Campbell

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#192504

This isn't the first letter Castent posted of Harvies. Back in 2013...

Clark a proven leader
Thursday, 27 June 2013 Letter to the Editor
Here's my perspective as a resident who wants Christy Clark to be my MLA.
Clark is a proven leader and savvy politician. She has served as MLA, cabinet minister and deputy premier. Her time in radio cemented her capacity to listen, to engage in dialogue and to share her sense of humour. And she garnered support from across B.C. when she ran for the B.C. Liberal Party's leadership.
Clark's determined optimism, relentless hard work, and agile responses to opportunities and challenges demonstrated an enviable strength of character and courage during the provincial election. This is being offered to us. What a rare opportunity.
Ben Stewart's service was a true gift. He was a vocal and thoughtful advocate for the Okanagan before becoming an MLA. His personal roots and candid political dialogue have defined his invaluable contribution. We are deeply indebted by his generosity and kindness as he supports Clark in this byelection.
Clark sacrificed her Vancouver-Point Grey riding to secure a majority government. Stewart's choice to step aside for Clark is a measure of his character.
I know how I will be voting.
Harvie Campbell,
West Kelowna
The true business of people should be to go back to
school and think about whatever it was they were
thinking about before somebody came along and told
them they had to earn a living.

- Buckminster Fuller
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^From the letter posted above:

Clark sacrificed her Vancouver-Point Grey riding to secure a majority government. Stewart's choice to step aside for Clark is a measure of his character.

Hilarious!!! Clark 'sacrificed her riding'!???! What a load of pure BS! She was clearly beaten out by David Eby, NDP. This in a riding that had been staunchly Liberal since 1996.
Chill
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

clark trying to complain about the ndp spending 600 thousand on campaign ads knowing she has spent 15 million =priceless :smt045
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

that video should be in every ndp ad lol what a joker mz clark is :biggrin:
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Certainly Christy Clark, and almost every other provincial premier, is unpopular and it might do her in this time. The election will be close. I tend to think though that most voters are cynical about both major parties. While the NDP stalwarts on here only find fault with the Liberals, and see no faults at all with the NDP, voters have their eyes open a bit more. Voters also tend to vote for the party that will benefit them. They may want a job, or they may simply want to see a vibrant economy, but they're not likely to vote NDP simply because they don't like Christy Clark.

So here's the $24 thousand question: Why do posters on here keep making ridiculous personal attacks on Christy Clark rather than telling us why the NDP would be better? The reason is simple. They don't have an answer. They know that most British Columbians don't want to see a Premier John Horgan bring in his own Leap Manifesto. So they just keep bashing Christy Clark hoping that the hate level will get high enough to topple her. This strategy might just work this time but it has failed miserably in the past. We'll see. It would have been so much better to have the NDP just get out of the way OR have the NDP move toward the centre. Unfortunately, neither of those things has happened.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:that video should be in every ndp ad lol what a joker mz clark is :biggrin:

yes, well it's not like the NDP has anything else to talk about in their ads. Like what their platform is. Or why anyone should vote for them. Or why they wouldn't stink in government just as bad as they did in the 1990's.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

So if the ChristyLiberals win this May
Attachments
Rod MacIsaac.JPG
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

It remains to be seen whether "I hate Christy Clark" will be enough for the NDP to win but when three out of five people say that the opposition parties don't have a real plan to help the province I'd say the Liberals' chances look good.

Another key will be moving beyond pointing out the government’s flaws to communicating a plan for the future. Three-in-five people said the opposition parties did not have a real plan to help B.C.

“I think that’s a real weakness for the opposition,” said Kurl. “That might be the trump card the B.C. Liberals play over and over again.”
http://vancouversun.com/news/local-news ... onors-poll

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”