Partisan Political advertising on the Taxpayers dime

gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Partisan Political advertising on the Taxpayers dime

Post by gordon_as »

So I left my den unattended last night and it was taken over by my 8 year old , which forced me to watch TV for a while. As usual there was nothing on so the wife and I watched The Voice. Without fail , during every single commercial break I found myself subject to a "public communication and engagement" advertisement telling me about the great things that the BC government is doing for us. Can there be any doubt that these are partisan political advertisements , trying to make me feel good about voting for the BC Liberals in May. Why are 40 million of my tax $$$ buying this advertising time , and why so many just before an election ? Why are so many taxpayer funded , media savvy , Pro BC government adds on TV during prime time , while BC Liberal funded , low budget , anti-horgan bobblehead adds are just pop ups on my computer screen while watching youtube ?

They are trying to buy my vote , but they are spending my money. Should I expect any less ?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Re: Partisan Political advertising on the Taxpayers dime

Post by maryjane48 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 1st, 2017, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

It's unheard of. Imagine a government advertising its achievements. Christy Clark has come up with an idea that no one else has ever thought of. How about that. She invented photo-ops as well of course so it should be no surprise that she came up with the advertising idea.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

has anyone heard if the BCTF is going to run those awful disgusting ads again this year?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

The Green Barbarian wrote:has anyone heard if the BCTF is going to run those awful disgusting ads again this year?

Did the taxpayer pay for those adds ?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Truth in advertising:
Attachments
our ads cost taxpayers.jpg
Chill
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Urbane wrote:It's unheard of. Imagine a government advertising its achievements. Christy Clark has come up with an idea that no one else has ever thought of. How about that. She invented photo-ops as well of course so it should be no surprise that she came up with the advertising idea.

So it's perfectly OK with you , and thus should be OK with every other taxpayer in BC ?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

It's NEVER ok for any sitting government to spend taxpayer $$$ on partisan ads!! EVER!!

The ChristyLiberals have a multimillion dollar war chest to use for their own advertising and there is NO NEED for her to use our tax $$ to fund her greed for power!!
Chill
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Wow , what impeccable timing.

Connect with Us
NEWS
Constituency signs removed amid confusion
Shuswap MLA Greg Kyllo
Shuswap MLA Greg Kyllo's constituency information sign seen along Highway 1 in Canoe on Thursday, Feb. 23, and removed the following morning, Feb. 24.— Image Credit: Salmon Arm Observer Photos
by Lachlan Labere - Eagle Valley News
Shuswap posted Feb 28, 2017 at 1:00 PM
Shuswap MLA Greg Kyllo chalks up the recent placement of constituency information signs in the Shuswap to bad judgement.

One of the signs, showing an image of Kyllo along with constituency office contact information and the slogan, Proud to serve the Shuswap, all on a blue background with red accents, was placed along Highway 97A north of Enderby, and another along Trans-Canada Highway in Canoe, north of the 97B junction.

The News first contacted Kyllo’s constituency office about the signs on Thursday, Feb. 23. The next morning, the sign on Highway 1 had been removed from its frame. In a Monday, Feb. 27 interview, Kyllo said all of the signs had since been taken down.

The Shuswap MLA acknowledged the location of the signs, as well as the timing of their placement – in proximity to the May 9 provincial election – had resulted in a “couple of calls” to his office from people who had confused the taxpayer-funded constituency signs with campaign signs.

“I thought hey, we spend lots of dollars on advertising and it’s all about making sure folks know how to contact their local MLA if they see the need, and this was just another way of doing that,” said Kyllo. “I guess the concern raised was they were maybe being confused as a campaign sign. I saw the issue, acknowledged it, and so we actually elected to pull them down.”

One of those confused by the signs was Kamloops city councillor and B.C. Green Party candidate for Kamloops South-Thompson, Donovan Cavers, who first saw them in January while visiting the area.

Cavers’ confusion turned to irritation afer he pulled over to snap a photo of one.

“So I looked at them more closely, and I guessed these are so-called constituency information,” said Cavers. “They’re totally misleading and I think it’s a complete misuse of public, taxpayer money. We’re within months of an election, it’s obvious – I even looked at the wood. That wood has not gone through a winter. Those signs… I was visiting my sister around Christmas time and they weren’t there, and I saw them in January.

“I think he deserves to be spanked basically. Using public money like that, he should definitely know better.”

Shuswap BC NDP candidate Sylvia Lindgren was also confused by the signage.

“They do appear to be campaign signs,” said Lindgren.

The Legislative Assembly of British Columbia’s Member’s Guide to Policy and Resources refers only to signage being placed on a constituency’ offices exterior. It states these signs “should not display the name or logo of a political party, contain statements of a partisan political nature or use political party colours in any recognizable partisan form.”

Kyllo notes his constituency office tends to get busier before an election, and the signs were intended to direct those needing his help to him before the writ is dropped.

“We’re trying to increase awareness of the office,” said Kyllo. “I do advertising, a bit of digital media, I do a flyer once a year just kind of updating people on the office. But not everybody is on digital media or buys a newspaper, that’s why we thought, it might not hurt – not having that highway visibility at the office – to put up some signs and let people know how to contact the office. Unfortunately, the timing was not ideal.”
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

gordon_as wrote:So it's perfectly OK with you , and thus should be OK with every other taxpayer in BC ?
No, it's not. I'm just pointing out that it's not unique to this government. Same with photo-ops. There are times when a government needs to spend money in order to provide useful information but that should be it. So let's hope that a fiscally-conservative option appears one of these years so that we have an actual choice come election day. The Liberals are getting the big things right, like the economy, but they sure have a lot of black marks against their record as well. If a viable option were available they'd be out the door. But alas, it's not.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

At this point, I believe that it is necessary to remove the totally corrupt and self-serving ChristyLiberals from office! Let the NDP govern for 4 years - BC won't disappear in 4 years and if we don't like their performance, vote them out!! Perhaps there will be a massive change in politics (doubtful) where we can get rid of a whole bunch of long in the tooth SocCred (ooops!) 'Liberals' and get some young blood going in politics - like maybe the YPP that seems to have been growing slowly but steadily. Maybe some time in the future we can actually then vote a party IN instead of voting a party OUT!

Governments and diapers need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain. I agree!!!
Chill
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Then maybe the NDP would finally be able to pass legislation prohibiting UNION and CORPORATE donations to political campaigns. The public is not best served when ANY special interest group is pulling the strings.
Take the money out of politics , and the greedy self serving scumbags will eventually disappear.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

gordon_as wrote:Then maybe the NDP would finally be able to pass legislation prohibiting UNION and CORPORATE donations to political campaigns. The public is not best served when ANY special interest group is pulling the strings.
Take the money out of politics , and the greedy self serving scumbags will eventually disappear.

Actually all parties and over 80% of BC residents want to eliminate corporate and union donations to political parties and limit donations and amounts allowed to individuals.

That is, ALL PARTIES and over 80% of BC residents,,,,, EXCEPT THE CHRISTYLIBERALS!! Their greed knows no bounds!!
Chill
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

There needs to be a restricted govt advertising time around elections.

But maybe C. Clark needs some propping up?
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

Christy has to feed all her media friends so they don't dig up dirt on the BC Liberals.

Return to “B.C.”