Uber coming to B.C.

Re: Uber coming to B.C.

Postby OhMyDarlin » Jul 9th, 2019, 2:57 pm

Snarf wrote:maybe a little more than minimum wage?

How much do you think the average cab driver makes per hour?
OhMyDarlin
Fledgling

Liked in: 140 posts

Postby my5cents » Jul 9th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Veovis wrote:I don't think the class 4 is a bad thing overall, but I don't think it's a safety issue. I think it is meant to minimize the number of people that will go through the work to get it and therefore lower the impact on cab companies, and for those that do, ICBC gets a nice cash grab.

So, you'd be OK with all taxi drivers just having a class 5 ? No additional testing or qualification ? (such as the medical needed for a class 4)

We hear this from the ride sharing association (or whatever it's called) that the class 4 requirement is just a stumbling block created to reduce the number of people who will consider working in the business. If that is the case, then is the class 4 requirement for taxi drivers just to reduce the number of people who drive cab ?

If a person is an unsafe driver, are they less unsafe if they only drive part time ?

Perhaps if a doctor hasn't fully passed his medical license he could work part time as a doctor ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

2 people like this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1691 posts

Postby AlienSoldier » Jul 11th, 2019, 6:52 am

If I was Uber I would just have someone ready to support people looking to drive and just get them to do the test and charge them for it per ride. There, now Class 4 isn't an issue and you can still flood the market with drivers so prices for taxis will go down.

There doesn't need to be a "Made in BC" solution to this, plenty of places have successfully integrated Uber into their transit plans. Just follow those.
AlienSoldier
Board Meister

Liked in: 328 posts

Postby wascobi » Jul 11th, 2019, 7:55 am

this is all about catering to block voters and the taxi industry. no matter who is in power.

AlienSoldier likes this post.
wascobi

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby my5cents » Jul 11th, 2019, 8:30 am

wascobi wrote:this is all about catering to block voters and the taxi industry. no matter who is in power.

If that's true, what class of license should a taxi driver be required to have ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Postby southy » Jul 11th, 2019, 8:39 am

my5cents wrote:
wascobi wrote:this is all about catering to block voters and the taxi industry. no matter who is in power.

If that's true, what class of license should a taxi driver be required to have ?

In Penticton I'd say proof that they actually even have a license. Cab drivers here are idiots and their driving shows it day in and day out. Give me a choice and I guarantee you I won't be calling a cab company.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 991 posts

Postby stuphoto » Jul 11th, 2019, 9:07 am

OhMyDarlin wrote:
Snarf wrote:maybe a little more than minimum wage?

How much do you think the average cab driver makes per hour?

As someone who drove cab I can answer this,
You average Minimum wage plus tips.
Great wage for a trained driver.
The math for the one company I worked for is
40% of the meter.
Plus a guarantee of minimum wage averaged out over the pay period. Tips are 100% the drivers.

So lets say I work on a Tuesday, from 5pm until 5am on Wednesday, which is normal for the new drivers.
You will usually have 2 back to back $30 fares. You make around $22 in wages, in an hour.
You may not see another customer until 10pm, and that may just be a $8 fair, including tip.
There is a good chance that you won't have another customer until 4am, taking them to the airport from the west side. A $60 fair, and they usually tip you around $10 for the trip.
So another $22 + $10
So in a 12 hour shift you may have made $80 including the tips.

I don't mind nights like that too much, what I hate is when I have to drive from the airport, to the west side Walmart. Then give someone a ride to the west side A&W. A $5 fair. No tip.
Then run back to the University for my next $12 fair to Kelowna Walmart. Again no tip.
So 90 minutes work for $6.80
Last edited by stuphoto on Jul 11th, 2019, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 524 posts

Postby polelady » Jul 11th, 2019, 9:59 am

The stir pot gets worse...
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#260882

Kelowna City Councillor Ryan Donn says ride sharing legislation introduced by the province this week will effectively prevent companies like Uber and Lyft from operating in the Okanagan.

Donn, a long-time proponent of ride sharing, says requiring drivers to obtain a commercial Class 4 license is a barrier the big companies won't be able to work around in smaller communities like those within the Okanagan

SO TRUE ... oh well like all things... the rest of the provinces and the world... will use UBER and when BC Smells the wake up coffee... things may change ? ( Perhaps if UBER drivers paid union dues.. the NDP would speak another language...)

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
polelady

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby stuphoto » Jul 11th, 2019, 10:26 am

A class 4 license doesn't require any additional training, just a second road test and possibly a physical to prove that you are a safe, driver.
Which I firmly believe anyone trusted with paying customers should have anyway.
If you want someone who can't pass the class 4 drivers exam to chauffeur you around please tell them to keep off the roads our families may be walking on.

3 people like this post.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 524 posts

Postby PDT » Jul 11th, 2019, 10:33 am

polelady wrote:SO TRUE ... oh well like all things... the rest of the provinces and the world... will use UBER and when BC Smells the wake up coffee... things may change ? ( Perhaps if UBER drivers paid union dues.. the NDP would speak another language...)

Uber drivers in Alberta are also required to have a Class 4 license, as well as a commercial license plate for their vehicle.

2 people like this post.
PDT
Fledgling

Liked in: 132 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jul 11th, 2019, 10:42 am

stuphoto wrote:So in a 12 hour shift you may have made $80 including the tips.

So...$6.66 per hour? If that's the case, I'm quitting my Coquihalla runs to drive a cab.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.

2 people like this post.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1423 posts

Postby westbankkid » Jul 13th, 2019, 9:20 am

UBER must have the same rules CABS do. I fully agree with the rules they have put foreward. Make it a level playing field.
westbankkid
Übergod

Liked in: 491 posts

Postby rotti » Jul 13th, 2019, 10:28 am

Times are changing and the NDP is still stuck in the protectionist policies for their friends and donors.
Look what Amazon has done to retail? It might not be fair and stores close but things change. Unless we change with the rest of the civilized world we will always be behind progress. We are ruled to death in this province, we are taxed to death in this province. UBER works everywhere else but you get these backwater nuts in Victoria to organize a 3 car parade and they need to study it for a year and they will find all sorts of ways to tax it and regulate it so it won’t work. Taxes,red tape, regulations three things the NDP can never get enough of.
rotti
Board Meister

Liked in: 20 posts

Postby my5cents » Jul 13th, 2019, 10:34 am

rotti wrote:Times are changing and the NDP is still stuck in the protectionist policies for their friends and donors.
Look what Amazon has done to retail? It might not be fair and stores close but things change. Unless we change with the rest of the civilized world we will always be behind progress. We are ruled to death in this province, we are taxed to death in this province. UBER works everywhere else but you get these backwater nuts in Victoria to organize a 3 car parade and they need to study it for a year and they will find all sorts of ways to tax it and regulate it so it won’t work. Taxes,red tape, regulations three things the NDP can never get enough of.

Here's what they need in Alberta : https://www.registriesplus.ca/uber/

OKkayak likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Postby Chyren » Jul 14th, 2019, 7:45 am

Whenever some new company comes into a marketplace such as Target did in the retail space, its up to the existing companies to figure out a way to make consumers stay with them over the new guy.

Its basic. The taxi companies have had a very long time to prepare and what have they done?

UBER will come and the market will react but over time current taxi companies can either update, change, or move on.

LTD likes this post.
Chyren
Board Meister

Liked in: 408 posts

PreviousNext

Return to B.C.