Uber coming to B.C.

Re: Uber coming to B.C.

Postby my5cents » Jul 14th, 2019, 10:02 am

Chyren wrote:Whenever some new company comes into a marketplace such as Target did in the retail space, its up to the existing companies to figure out a way to make consumers stay with them over the new guy.

Its basic. The taxi companies have had a very long time to prepare and what have they done?

UBER will come and the market will react but over time current taxi companies can either update, change, or move on.

So, you are saying that taxi companies encouraged politicians to require a class 4 for all ride share drivers ?

So it's not a case of safety, and implementing the same basic rules as a neighboring province already has ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1689 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jul 14th, 2019, 10:15 am

Chyren wrote:Whenever some new company comes into a marketplace such as Target did in the retail space, its up to the existing companies to figure out a way to make consumers stay with them over the new guy.

Its basic. The taxi companies have had a very long time to prepare and what have they done?

UBER will come and the market will react but over time current taxi companies can either update, change, or move on.

But when a new company comes into a marketplace, such as Target did in the retail space, they still have to follow the same rules as existing companies :up:
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4315 posts

Postby stuphoto » Jul 23rd, 2019, 12:52 pm

A Canadian version that actually welcomes BC's rules.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... BC-drivers
Tapcar, I may not ever use your service, but it will be at the top of my list.

Smurf likes this post.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 518 posts

Postby dle » Aug 18th, 2019, 8:56 am

a rose by any other name is still a rose....they will in essence be "taxi" drivers so should have the same licensing.

Pondered this and feel comfortable saying "yes" to class 4 commercial licenses for ride-hailing drivers.....(1) they are a commercial venture, (2) they will be providing transportation service just as do taxis, and taxi drivers have to have them (3) bad drivers abound even with proper/stricter licensing but the threat of losing that licensing could act as a caution for some to not drive like maniacs to make up time to increase their meager pay, (4) increases responsibility of the ride-hailing service ie Uber itself to screen their drivers.

Personally, I won't ever use one if they aren't class 4 licensed.....as with anything we all will make up our own minds as to whether we utilize them or not but I think they will garner more business if they do have class 4.

7 people like this post.
dle
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2488 posts

Postby AlienSoldier » Aug 18th, 2019, 12:53 pm

It will be interesting to see if people who drive taxi’s for taxi cab companies and taxi plate owners while switch over to Lyft and Uber. This might cause issues with hiring cab drivers which would pressure the industry in another way.

We could be potientially causing another issue which is a lack of drivers for taxi companies this further reducing service.
AlienSoldier
Board Meister

Liked in: 326 posts

Postby fluffy » Aug 18th, 2019, 1:10 pm

I agree with dle above, if these people want to go into direct competition in an existing industry then the playing field should be level. They should require all the same checks and certifications that mainstream taxi drivers do. Those regulations are in place for a purpose, I don't see how they shouldn't apply to everyone in the industry.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

3 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4398 posts

Postby BCwrangler » Aug 18th, 2019, 1:56 pm

A class four DL should be maintained in the industry for all who are responsible for professionally driving others around. Do we really want a person at risk medically driving your child to school or getting you to the airport? A class four puts you in Dr's office every five years for rechecks...plus the cost of the medical is a income tax write off. Honestly the mayors need to mind their own business!

Cheers!

6 people like this post.
BCwrangler

Liked in: 25 posts

Postby Buckeye19 » Aug 20th, 2019, 7:02 am

Leave it to the NDP to screw up something so simple that is being used all over North America.

If you're so concerned with Uber drivers not having a Class 4 license, stick with your cab. I'll take Uber every single time - so will the majority of people. It's a great service and way lighter on the pocket book.
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby motokelowna1 » Aug 20th, 2019, 1:03 pm

Hope that every driver is given a driving test and an written test. That will sort out the system.
motokelowna1
Board Meister

Liked in: 225 posts

Postby Even Steven » Aug 20th, 2019, 1:05 pm

I like how people think that requiring class 4 is some sort of antidote that will guarantee professionalism and safety.

Just read some Google comments from Kelowna cabs with an awesome rating of 1.8 out of 5:

While driving home in a residential neighbourhood, the cab was in front of me with a vehicle doing the speed limit. The cab driver got impatient and decided to pass on a S curve and almost got into a head on collision. The cab could have potentially injured or killed at least 6 people. When I called dispatch, she seemed annoyed that I was calling to report the incident.

I recently contacted them regarding nearly being hit by one of their drivers while riding my bike, in a bike lane, while it appeared the driver was distracted. I have yet to receive a response from the company.

Ordered a cab they said they would be there, watched them drive by our house on a dead end street then they left. Never came back never called.

I was on my bike, in the bike lane, and the cab driver saw me and then proceeded to intentionally drive IN THE BIKE LANE, running me off the road and onto the gravel shoulder. I don't even have words for this. If I could give negative stars I would. We need Uber or other ride share options.

Waited over an hour, absolute garbage service and a garbage vehicle. This town needs Uber not this kind of trash service, unbelievable.

I think this man is the worst driver I have ever met. ******* is his name and tail gating is his game. Tailgates so close that when the car in front of him is turning, he decides to slam on the brakes and groceries slide everywhere in the back.

Sick and tired of getting cut off by your driver's. This time it was number 58 incase anyone at the company wants to do something. Doubt it! Have drivers that can drive!

A paraplegic and terminally ill, senior’s well-being was put in jeopardy on Saturday June 23 2018 by this cab company!

Asked for a fare was refused based on destination (it was local) told to get out called company they said it was not policy apologized it sounded sarcastic they said it wasn't wanted to make it up then hung up.

Cab #9, driver ******** refused to let us leave the cab, and continued to drive the cab while we repeatedly asked him to stop and let us out to the point where we were yelling and screaming at him to stop the car. He didn’t and we ended up calling the police on him, and having to file a report against him. He only stopped the vehicle once we told him the police were coming after him.

This cab company is unsafe, if you are concerned for safety or travelling alone, don’t choose this cab company, one of the worst ordeals I have ever had to deal with.

Don’t forget anything in the cab you’ll never get it back ... also just was in one doing 75 down Ethel which is a 50 kinda unsafe

And these are just the ones dealing with safety issues. For each of those, there are 10 comments on rudeness, rip-offs, no shows, etc.

These people don't deserve to stay in business. Bring Uber and send them packing.
Last edited by Catsumi on Aug 20th, 2019, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed individuals names
Even Steven
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2449 posts

Postby OKkayak » Aug 20th, 2019, 1:06 pm

Even Steven wrote:These people don't deserve to stay in business. Bring Uber and send them packing.

You think Uber driver's are any different?
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby Even Steven » Aug 20th, 2019, 1:09 pm

OKkayak wrote:You think Uber driver's are any different?

Do homeless people like to be given money?
Even Steven
Lord of the Board

Postby OKkayak » Aug 20th, 2019, 1:15 pm

Even Steven wrote:Do homeless people like to be given money?

You should read some of the reviews in ride hailing forums.

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby Even Steven » Aug 20th, 2019, 1:21 pm

OKkayak wrote:
Even Steven wrote:Do homeless people like to be given money?

You should read some of the reviews in ride hailing forums.

Uber has an excellent review system. Drivers with a rating 4.5 or less (out of 5) basically stop getting rides. Their membership is in jeopardy at that point. You get disconnected from the system so bye-bye.

Average rating is 4.6, I believe. If you have a few bad comments and zero ratings you basically don't drive. With cabs, you can provide bad service for years and years and never be punished in any shape or forms.

So yeah, it's not the same by a galaxy. LOL.

Most people complaining about the rating system for Uber complain about the strictness of it. Few bad rides, few episodes of rudeness to the customers (who will always give a low rating in that case), and you're gone.

Yes, some people will have complaints about Uber drivers. But here's a difference - thanks to Uber these drivers DON'T KEEP DRIVING. They're gone. With taxi companies nobody cares, drivers never get fired.
Even Steven
Lord of the Board

Previous

Return to B.C.