Pattison: $75M hospital donation

whitecandle
Board Meister

Pattison: $75M hospital donation

Post by whitecandle »

B.C. billionaire Jim Pattison has donated $75 million to the St. Paul's Hospital Foundation in Vancouver.

The St. Paul's Foundation says the donation is the largest by a private citizen to a single medical facility in Canadian history.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4043869
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Pattison: $75M hospital donation

Post by Queen K »

This is one of the best things that could have happened to the hospital.

One thing though, why so much to one hospital? With so many smaller hospitals all around the Province, one would think some of them need additions and up dating, nevermind more equipment.

I'm not unhappy with Pattison's move, just hoping some of the money could get redistributed to assist others.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Queen K wrote:This is one of the best things that could have happened to the hospital.

One thing though, why so much to one hospital? With so many smaller hospitals all around the Province, one would think some of them need additions and up dating, nevermind more equipment.

I'm not unhappy with Pattison's move, just hoping some of the money could get redistributed to assist others.

Though it is his money and he can do so as he pleases why not make your own foundation that replaces equipment to hospitals all over the place. New MRI there, staffing costs there, etc etc.

No matter though, I applaud the kindness.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If only I could. If my multimillion dollar lotto ticket comes in, I might hire professional help to assist me in that very thing.

And No one said he can't do what he wants with the money and maybe the hospital will be generous to other hospitals (doubt it).
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I believe St Pauls is building a new Hospital and he has donated towards that.
People from all over the Province go to St Pauls for specialized care so many will benefit from this.

Kudos to him!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Queen K wrote:If only I could. If my multimillion dollar lotto ticket comes in, I might hire professional help to assist me in that very thing.

I'll help! Just cover my Crown Royal bill is all I ask! :130:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

All I can say is thank you Mr Pattison. All of BC should be very thank full to you for what should be a wonderful addition to our provincial medical community. It would be wonderful to have it spread around the province but I tend to believe by the sounds of it, it might be better to have those things grouped together. That is only a personal thought.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You're right Smurf, and I forgot to say "Thank you Jim Pattison, what a class act" too.

And GB, you'd be hired for sure.

Must check my tix now
Last edited by Queen K on Mar 28th, 2017, 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

fast forward 2 years.

HEADLINE: ST Paul Hospital just completed the unveiling of the $74 Million dollar statue donated by Mr Pattison....Hospital CEO states 'we should have read the fine print", the hospital would have kept the additional million had the 74 million dollar project ran 1 million over budget."

I kid I kid. Still a pretty darned cool thing to give to healthcare.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

One can only admire Pattison for his astute business sense, his philanthropy and social responsibility which I sure came from his humble background.

Early life and education[edit]
Pattison's parents resided in the rural town of Luseland,[4] Saskatchewan when he was born at the hospital in nearby Saskatoon. Growing up in East Vancouver, his first summer job was playing trumpet at a children's church camp [4] and later picking fruit (raspberries, cherries, and peaches) during the summer while in high school.[4] Pattison had many jobs while in high school, including selling doughnuts in the school parking lot, selling seeds door-to-door, delivering newspapers, and working as a page boy at the Georgia Hotel.[5] He graduated from John Oliver Secondary School in 1947.[6]
After high school, he worked in a cannery, a packing house, as a labourer building bridges in the mountains, and then for the Canadian Pacific Railway as a dining car attendant[4] before accepting a job washing cars at a gas station with a small attached used-car lot.[4] By chance, while the regular salesman was away, Pattison sold one of the cars on the lot and found his profession.[4] He parlayed that success into a job selling used cars during the summer at one of the largest used-car lots in Vancouver, using his earnings to pay for his studies at the University of British Columbia[4] (although he did not complete his studies[7] being three classes short of a business degree).[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Pattison
Chill
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 29th, 2017, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Bsuds wrote:I believe St Pauls is building a new Hospital and he has donated towards that.
People from all over the Province go to St Pauls for specialized care so many will benefit from this.

Kudos to him!

I believe it's also going to be a state of the art research hospital. Well worth the investment that will help many people down the line. This facility and the new BC Children's Hospital will be major advancements for our province.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

Those billboards aren't looking so ugly now, are they.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

What_the wrote:Those billboards aren't looking so ugly now, are they.

Well now you're going too far.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Picking fruit in Luseland SK ??....NOT!

Return to “B.C.”