The case for minimum income

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

The case for minimum income

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cknw.com/2017/04/24/steele-d ... f=facebook

i think it makes sense and will be the future unless we start taxing robots and computers
GenesisGT
Guru

Re: The case for minimum income

Post by GenesisGT »

Bad idea, the more one depends on the government, the more control the government has over you.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 25th, 2017, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
f/22
Board Meister

Post by f/22 »

Before those rabid capitalistic Con-dogs attack the idea of basic minimum income with their slavering jaws to infect . . ..

The early post-60s proposal for a program came from one of their own, with this as a rationale:

Conservative-capitalist Milton Friedman, in his 1962 book Capitalism and Freedom, first promoted the concept of a guaranteed basic income. He saw it as a means towards getting people out of the welfare trap by allowing them to participate in consumerism without having a job as well as to up, or subsidise their participation through choosing to work for 'extra' spending money.

Here’s some history homework:

http://basicincome.org/basic-income/history/

Keep them Gucci’s coming. We’ll work for grociers.
Hermes
Fledgling

Post by Hermes »

I am much more concerned about abuses in corporate welfare than individual welfare.

As I see it the problem with the welfare system (as useful as it is for those struggling to survive) is that it is pretty close to all or nothing. The basic income for a single employable person is $610. Close to impossible to live on that in GVRD. Kelowna I do not know. There is no incentive for part-time work. Being on 'social assistance' (more syllables, it's welfare, so cut the BS) one can earn $200 per month. So, it encourages making money in the 'black market' (unregulated economy).

I am not sure I support minimum income program. Can Canadian taxpayers afford it? But I am also not opposed to it. I need more information.

I know my next comment may seem likes it's coming out of left field (in both senses), but I think there is a cultural/religious element at work here. As a student of religion I have observed a difference in attitude both between individuals that belong to certain churches and the churches themselves regarding charity. Protestants seem to more 'hard-**sed' than Catholics on this issue. Am I imagining this?
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

GenesisGT wrote:Bad idea, the more one depends on the government, the more control the government has over you.

so whats the plan when millions of jobs go poof ? big warehouses now have automation 24 /7. new oil derrecs are going automated . mining is becoming automated . . you can ignore future all you want but its coming .
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

theres not going to be the jobs for humans to do . minimum income is our future like it or not . a company has invented a doctor machine that can learn surgury without a human at the contols . :smt045
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

BC has the highest child poverty rate in the country, having a guaranteed minimum income would sure go a long way toward reducing suffering. But lets ignore that and wait for the righties on here to debate ideology.
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

maryjane48 wrote:
GenesisGT wrote:Bad idea, the more one depends on the government, the more control the government has over you.

so whats the plan when millions of jobs go poof ? big warehouses now have automation 24 /7. new oil derrecs are going automated . mining is becoming automated . . you can ignore future all you want but its coming .

Agreed, this used to be a two "person" job on each shift... not any more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkh4tRkn6EE
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom

Return to “B.C.”