Re: BC hydro exposed

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Lucky for us hydro doesn't care what mj wants! :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

MJ - nobody is stopping you - go for it, build yourself your solar dream. BC Hydro will be happy to come and disconnect your power lines any time you want.

I'll even help you out and call and set up the appointment. Flip the switch, and just like that! You are off the grid. Easy peasy - no more hydro bills!
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

X2 :up:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

hobbyguy wrote:The Kemano closure was ALL about being the "party of Nooo". There was indeed a way to move forward with Kemano without endangering the salmon runs. It was all about the petty politics of the NDP grievance pandering.

As usual you are once again 100% incorrect, and admittedly I was partially incorrect is saying the NDP stopped Kemano2 from being built. After doing further research I've discovered that Alcan and the NDP did reach a compromise, as did Alcan and the Socreds did in the 1980's after much controversy.....THE NDP DID NOT PUT A STOP TO THE KEMANO COMPLETION PROJECT, Alcan simply never got around to finishing the Kemano completion projct. Reo Tinto is now considering finishing the project.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenney_ ... on_Project
http://www.journalofcommerce.com/Projec ... OC049746W/
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

theres more to that story as many my friends worked for alcan and now rio tinto . in nutshell the town of kitimat stopped it . alcan wanted lay everyone off and just sell power to states. but alcan had signed a agreement with town of kittimat to keep making a product . or face being booted out . its that simple . then alcan started upgrading the smelter . thats when my dad got the contract to redo alcans officess and lunchrooms . and i helped . i did the front enterance to the main office . knocked alll the old stucco out and prepped it for finishers .

the ndp nor socreds killed it kittimat did .
Last edited by maryjane48 on May 27th, 2017, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Further reading:
http://www.straight.com/news/424721/bro ... on-project
The controversy, which was largely whipped up in the media by Mair and Meisner, led then-Opposition leader Gordon Campbell to condemn the project. Then-premier Mike Harcourt sought a review by the B.C. Utilities Commission, which issued a damning report leading to the cancellation of the project.

Interesting, huh?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Nope. Mike Harcourt and crew killed the Kemano project. http://www.ammsa.com/publications/windspeaker/bc-kills-kemano-project

https://www.amazon.ca/Too-Good-Be-True-Completion/dp/0889223548

"On January 23, 1995, British Columbia's then premier announced that he was cancelling Alcan's Kemano Completion Project. But is such a simple political announcement all it will take to cancel this $1.4 billion hydro megaproject? Many tough questions remain: about who will pay for the cost of cancelling this megaproject, already half-completed at the time of Mike Harcourt's announcement"

It amazes me that NDP tooters don't even know the history of their own party. Maybe that 'splains it, their misplaced loyalty.

The BC NDP never look far enough ahead. So they can't understand BC Hydro, what it does, and how important it is to the future of the province. All the BC NDP unionists want is power - and when they get it (shudder) they are literally like the yapping dog that caught the bus - now what?
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

hobbyguy wrote:Nope. Mike Harcourt and crew killed the Kemano project. http://www.ammsa.com/publications/windspeaker/bc-kills-kemano-project

https://www.amazon.ca/Too-Good-Be-True-Completion/dp/0889223548

"On January 23, 1995, British Columbia's then premier announced that he was cancelling Alcan's Kemano Completion Project. But is such a simple political announcement all it will take to cancel this $1.4 billion hydro megaproject? Many tough questions remain: about who will pay for the cost of cancelling this megaproject, already half-completed at the time of Mike Harcourt's announcement"

It amazes me that NDP tooters don't even know the history of their own party. Maybe that 'splains it, their misplaced loyalty.

The BC NDP never look far enough ahead. So they can't understand BC Hydro, what it does, and how important it is to the future of the province. All the BC NDP unionists want is power - and when they get it (shudder) they are literally like the yapping dog that caught the bus - now what?

You're as stubborn as a mule, read the two links links I posted.....your link is from 1995, the links I posted very clearly state THAT IN 1997 ALCAN AND THE NDP REACHED A COMPROMISE TO CONTINUE WITH THE KEMANO COMPLEATION PROJECT. The project was only suspended for two years.
Póg Mo Thoin
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

http://rafeonline.com/2014/12/the-strug ... -movement/

according to this alcan decided back in late 1970 early 1980 that kemano 2 wasnt worth the money and then came up with a plan to get the bc govt to compensste them . and it worked . but more important 1984 is when alcan with drew the project. no ndp in power in 1984 .

everthing after 1984 was to suck tax money out . they had no intention of ever building kemano 2 after 1984 .

“I think it caught people’s attention, because–although they hadn’t thought about it a lot–they had been satisfied in the back of their minds that this was probably okay, and were surprised to find that someone thought it wasn’t.”
Interacting with his phone-in audience, Mair sensed the shifts in public opinion. “I certainly think that the audience was substantially opposed to it by the time the Harcourt government announcement came down.”

Under the framework agreement just signed, if B.C. is to honor its obligation to provide 285 megawatts of electricity to Alcan, the province may need to dam something else-i found this line to be interesting . the bc govt may have to dam something else hmmmmm seems that has come true . site c is to make up the short fall from 1987 aggreement

who was in power in 1987 ? right wing conservatives of course :smt045
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Hurtlander I know people who worked on the Kemano project. The very instant that Harcourt cancelled the project, all of the construction folks were let go. My father-in-law (RIP) was a planner for Alcan.

The "compromise" worked out later was just a political sop for the NDP. It never was economically viable for Alcan. The project was already dead.

IF as the NDP did, you were going to blow $500 million of public money, everybody knew what the answer was, which was to switch some of power production to the Kenney dam, thereby increasing the Nechako flow. But that meant the government had to provide transmission lines, and pay the cost of transferring a lot of workforce to the Kenny dam site, and some additional subsidies.

But instead Harcourt cancelled the project.

IF you cancel a project, the company moves on, it is too late to start negotiating. When it was cancelled by Harcourt and his band of merry fools, Alcan transferred their capital budget and funding to expanding their Quebec operations instead - Quebec Hydro was just finishing off the James Bay phase 2 and were happy to commit for more power for Alcan to expand their Quebec operations - and take the jobs originally planned for Kitimat.

And that my friend, is how the feckless BC NDP go about killing jobs and wasting huge sums of public money at the same time.

I am very familiar with the whole sordid episode. I lived near the Kenney Dam end at the time, and as I said, my in-laws were in Kitimat and employed by Alcan.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

By the way, if the BC NDP hold up the site C project for a "review", and even if that "review" confirms that it should go ahead, the contracts currently signed will most likely be null and void. Guaranteed the new contracts will be higher than the old ones.

So, the BC NDP will just waste a massive amount of public money for a political charade.

IF the BC NDP instead cancel the site C project (they are just dumb enough to do so), then the public get stuck with another (see Kemano above) huge bill for cancelled contracts. Then another huge bill for site remediation. Easy another $500 million of public funds taking wings and flying off in the breeze of NDP hot air.

All of that because the BC NDP don't have a clue as to how to make a decision, nor the spine to stick by one. Perhaps they should change the name of the party to to "The BC Bag of Hammers".
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol nice try hobby buy facts are alcan killed kemano in 1984 . they decided then and there it would cost to much . everthing after was to extort tax money to cover there 1.6 billion in costs . in 1987 vanderzalm govt made deal with alcan to revert back to earlier agreement . in1990 can made a push because they knew it was their last chance to get bc govt to pay them for losses . which harcort did .

what you leave out is the first dam flooded first nation burial grounds and land . and it would have killed of the salmon runs on the fraser and nechako . my grampa also worked at kemano and he told me all about it. alcan is a disgusting company . they knew about dangers od asbestos yet did zero to protect workers . alcan puts out a book saying when folks died and what age . not many the old guard made it past 45.

and my dad was contracted to work at alcan they still tried to keep the asbestos until union stepped in and forced alcan remove it .

but facts are kermano 2 died in 1984 by alcans own hand .
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

maybe you should move to different province
. clearly you have no clue how bc operates or wants . site c if killed is squarly the resposability of your clark govt for starting a project that wasnt reviewd by bcuc . thats a costly mistake by bclibs potentialy and has zero to do with any future govt . real men accept resposability for mistakes . you rather tuck tail and point at others i see .
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Hurtlander wrote:

Smurf wrote:
Could you please point me towards this information because I missed it somewhere and can't seem to find it.

Carefully read the entire link I provided, starting with the title of the article. There's even an easy to understand graph that clearly shows that BC is a net exporter of electricity, incase you're unable or unwilling to take the time to read the entire article.

I just read your article from March 18 2016.

B.C. has long been a strategic buyer and seller of electricity, the NEB noted in a December report highlighting how the province uses its hydro system to maximize gains from electricity trade.

The province was a net importer of electricity for seven out of the past 11 years, the report said.

A 2015 report says that BC was a net importer 7 of the last 11 years. How can you say they were net exporters .

For the past 6 years BC has been a net exporter because of our surplus.

“However, B.C. has had a positive trade revenue balance since 2011 due to its additions of generation over the last few years and its ability to buy electricity when prices are lower (during the night or during spring) and sell when prices are higher (during peak hours).”

They have had a positive trade balance, "dollars ?" nothing about 6 years if net export. I believe they mean they have made money not necessarily exported more power. You know
"The province’s ability to “buy low and sell high”

The only chart I see talks about Canadian import/export not BC. Totally different animals.

I am very sorry Hurtlander but I must be blind because I do not see anywhere that it states BC was a net exporter for the last 6 years. All I see is a statement that they were net importers 7 of the last 11 years.

I guess I do need someone to explain it to me.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

hobbyguy wrote:IF the BC NDP instead cancel the site C project (they are just dumb enough to do so), then the public get stuck with another (see Kemano above) huge bill for cancelled contracts. Then another huge bill for site remediation. Easy another $500 million of public funds taking wings and flying off in the breeze of NDP hot air.

You really are clueless......the only party in BC that can cancel site C at this point in time are the Greens since they hold the balance of power.
Póg Mo Thoin

Return to “B.C.”