BCTF using kids as political pawns, again

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

BCTF using kids as political pawns, again

Post by Rwede »

The BC Teachers Federation is at it again. This time, two of their teachers in Burnaby used 180 high school students to launch an art campaign against the TransMountain pipeline expansion.

From the story: "Woolf was unapologetic about the political nature of the assignment. 'In social studies we take on politics; I think in art they take on politics too,' she said. 'Certainly the Kinder Morgan pipeline is an issue that affects Burnaby, and the students live in Burnaby, so it’s fair game in my opinion.'

The teachers were opposed, and claim to have talked "pros and cons." But no one who supports the project was given the chance to defend it - or point out the many reasons why this pipeline must go forward.

Or their own hypocrisy. BCTF pension funds are invested in Chinese state-controlled companies, Suncor, Enbridge, all the big banks, and Exxon Mobil. See http://www.pensionsbc.ca/portal/page/po ... report.pdf

Shame on these teachers for using kids for politics. Of course, the BCTF will probably give them an award.

http://www.burnabynow.com/news/educatio ... 1.20742860

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Veovis
Guru

Re: BCTF using kids as political pawns, again

Post by Veovis »

If a teacher said they discussed the pros and cons of gay marriage with their students and in the end told them "see same sex marriage is wrong" and then told them all to draw a picture showing how wrong it was would people be upset?

They damned sure better be, and same in this instance. Personal beliefs (no matter what they are) are not a reason for assignments in schools. This is a gross overstep of the boundaries of good judgement.

Had the assignment been to draw how they FEEL about the project, you would get art, this was assigned propaganda and inappropriate.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Post by Osoyoos_Familyof4 »

Unless your assumption is that there wasn't discussion about pros and cons, I don't see why your knickers are in a knot. As an educator, it's never once occurred to me to check with the union about any lesson plan, for that I consult the curriculum guidelines.

If you think that the BCTF has the huge dramatic influence over the lesson plans you are 100% incorrect. The influence they do have is concerned with the numbers of students in the classroom and the numbers of students with special needs ratio to teachers and ea's.

Your agenda to discredit the BCTF is a transparent joke. I don't always appreciate the union, but I appreciate transparent over-the-top misinformed jibber-jabbers even less.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Teachers pushing personal political views is my issue. The project wasn't an art project but a propaganda one. The BCTF however will back this teacher to the ends of the earth as it is part of their political movement (though why a multi million a year union is a political activist group none have been able to explain as they are supposed to be governing and helping teachers.

Had this been an assignment about expressing personal feelings and expressions about the proposed pipeline it can be argued as an art project, this was a "make me a campaign against poster" assignment and wrong. See the difference?

I highly dislike this type of behaviour by teachers no matter the issue as they are to educate and develop the ability to make choice, not tell what that choice should be.

IMO the teacher should receive some form of disciplinary action. The BCTF comes in at that point and will scream bloody murder as they care little about proper education and only their personal political messages.
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Teachers are usually aware of personal bias when conducting classroom assignments. Some are better at counterbalance than others.

But children have this knack of usually being on the liberal side of the line because children are natural nurturers.

It takes time for a child to develop their own personal agenda when they can see the intricacies of finance from both sides. Many a classroom discussion is tempered with a liberal teacher taking the counterbalance and making conservative declaratIves.

Children have an innate sense of acceptance and compassion, they don't yet have a mental construct of the money that is required when you sacrifice the environment for financial gain.

If so many of the conservatives take issue with education, why don't more of them become teachers?
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:Teachers are usually aware of personal bias when conducting classroom assignments. Some are better at counterbalance than others.

But children have this knack of usually being on the liberal side of the line because children are natural nurturers.

It takes time for a child to develop their own personal agenda when they can see the intricacies of finance from both sides. Many a classroom discussion is tempered with a liberal teacher taking the counterbalance and making conservative declaratIves.

Children have an innate sense of acceptance and compassion, they don't yet have a mental construct of the money that is required when you sacrifice the environment for financial gain.

If so many of the conservatives take issue with education, why don't more of them become teachers?

I'm aware of that, that's what makes it such a worse offence when an adult who can see the world better (or should) will use children for their own personal desires and be supported in such actions. My kids come home mentioning all sorts of things from school, I always ask "who told you that" (it can be a student sometimes a teacher) and I offer another point of view and let them decide.

This teacher offered no choice, only required political activism. As I said if it had been a teacher doing this against gay marrige people would be outraged? What is the difference in commanded activism other than the perceived popularity of the side she is on in this issue. What if it was pro vs anti abortion art class but they were told to make only anti abortion posters? Sorry let's phrase it like the teacher did, "Imagine if you only believed in anti abortion, now make me posters based on that"

There was no option for nurtured thought, there was an assignment along a very specific "anti pipeline" theme.

They may be great teachers, but this was definitely outside appropriate range. I'll even say the Kinder Surprise egg is clever and well done, I like it as a project, I just don't find how the project came to be any where near the teachers mandate at school.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Sorry teachers.....wrong in my opinion.
If they had discussed the pros and cons, perhaps I'd like to see the lesson plan regarding the pros....

In my opinion ( I seem to have lots as I get older) I'd like to see the pipeline with upgraded oil not the dilbit currently planned, make its way to Cherry point where a deep sea terminal already exists and have better spill response in place. I know, off topic.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Osoyoos_Familyof4 wrote:If so many of the conservatives take issue with education, why don't more of them become teachers?

There are many, you just don't see them pulling crap like this. IN fact you don't see that many teachers doing this, and we should see none. If the BCTF managed teachers like it says it does it would let discipline occur and then more on. Instead they will create a bigger issue because the BCTF care more about the oil lines than actual teachers or education.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

I see no problem with the pros and cons of the topic here. When I first started reading this thread I was thinking that it was about gay relationships. I have the OT on my ignore list but thought I would open it to see what he/she had against gay relationships. Imagine my surprise when I see this is about a pipeline. Talk about a thread stretch? These were high school kids. At this point in their education a frank talk about world issues is something I would applaud and expect.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

No matter how you slice it, it is unethical and unprofessional for teachers to promote their own political views with students. They are in a position of authority and work for all of us, and therefore must remain neutral in their work.

If, on the other hand, the teacher was doing an exercise in critical thinking that had the students do their own research without teacher bias, leading up to formal debate, that would be appropriate.

Sad that this teacher can not see the dividing line, or thinks they do not apply to her.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

How sad that some would disrespect our teachers. Finland has the best public education system in the world for a reason.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... -different
Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

If you accuse the teacher of lying and that a discussion of pros and cons DIDN'T happen, there really isn't much to discuss.

~ I often myself taking a position that isn't my own in classroom discussions.

~ Lesson Plans are not debriefing documents; therefore, your plea of "proof" in regards to what the lesson plan says is useless.

~ If there are plenty of conservative teachers, what is your problem? There should automatically be a conservative narrative present then...right?

~ I personally have been critical of a teachers not producing a counter-balance. My own child has come home with a lack of balanced information about a sensitive topic. I chose to keep the lesson going at home and we discussed things as I see it. This is my right as a parent, and it's your right too. If parents are too busy to have a discussion of their own, that's unfortunate. Children naturally in their development defer to their teachers, even when their parents happen to be teachers. I am never as smart as my colleagues in my children's eyes. But it's my job at home to impart my values into any discussion. Again, if there are conservative teachers...what's your beef?

~ This is not a union issue, has never been a union issue, and someone saying so doesn't make it so. This is someone disbelieving what the teacher said occurred, there is nowhere to go with this premis as your argument is predicated on what you suspect instead of what you know.

I think in this situation, you are just mad that the kids don't see things your way.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Straight from the BCTF's website in its "social justice" section:

Environment and Sustainability Resources

School Safety and Pipelines Presentation and Kinder Morgan route maps near your school

An informative and fascinating expose of pipelines in the Lower Mainland and BC and the health and safety risk they inflict on our students. Produced by Mary Hatch, a retired teacher who was evacuated from the Kinder Morgan Burnaby Spill of July 24, 2007 (for more information on that and other Kinder Morgan spills see pipe-up.net/reports). It is perfect for classroom viewing, presenting to PACs and/or other concerned community groups (firefighters, city councilors, paramedics). About 15 minutes long and it is self-running. For more information about BC’s pipelines, see BROKE, Pipe-Up Network or Kinder Morgan’s site.

https://bctf.ca/SocialJustice.aspx?id=22013&libID=22003

And if this video doesn't take the cake:

"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
BeingHuman
Board Meister

Post by BeingHuman »

Periods of cooperation between political parties shouldn't be taken for granted; they are a stunning human achievement ~ Paul Bloom
Osoyoos_Familyof4
Board Meister

Funny, I've seen neither of these resources suggested in any curriculum guideline. And if I'm not following the Provincial curriculum, I would have some explaining to do with my principal.

The union can publish what they want, it doesn't mean it's an "approved" source of information. In fact, it might be surprising to some people that there is a lack of approved sources in general. In the age where anyone can google anything, I see more and more teachers questioning cited sources. So much so, that children even in elementary are challenged on biased sources.

Return to “B.C.”