Man who snapped images of firefighters' bonfire speaks out

Because_They_Lie
Banned

Man who snapped images of firefighters' bonfire speaks out

Post by Because_They_Lie »

Last edited by Because_They_Lie on Jul 25th, 2017, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreeRights
Guru

Re: Man who snapped images of firefighters' bonfire speaks o

Post by FreeRights »

I would agree that the rules should apply to everyone. With that being said, if anyone is breaking the campfire ban rules, at the very least I'm glad that they're fire fighters.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

I would go further and say that these firefighters should be *extra vigilant* and working towards setting a good example for everyone else.
Anyone remember Mike Barre?....a volunteer firefighter who started the McLure forest fire that caused $8.2 million damage by carelessly throwing away a cigarette.
Another person who should have known better.

Yes...they should be held to a higher standard IMO.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Because_They_Lie
Banned

Post by Because_They_Lie »

Last edited by Because_They_Lie on Jul 25th, 2017, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bob57

Post by bob57 »

There is no common sense in this age of entitlement.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Same thing as the traffic cop who thinks it's OK for him to speed (non emergency). Or the bylaw officer parking in a handicap spot.

Doesn't matter if they're doing it "in the line of business". Rules apply to them just like they apply to everyone else - If an electrician is rushing to a service call he will get a speeding ticket. If a plumber is dealing with a problem and needs to park his service van nearby to facilitate work (access to tool/parts) - he will get a ticket if parked in a handicap spot.

If they can't do it neither can you.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

doesn't matter if theyre firefighters they still have no control where the hot embers from their fire are landing, dumbasses
JBX
Fledgling

Post by JBX »

Well he is right, they are all a bunch of idiots.

Fire every last one of them and a lifetime ban from ever serving on a fire department again, what a bunch of tools.

Good on him.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Did it get out of control ?

Most idiots do not know how to starr one never mind put it out . All the ones that are uncontain were the result of monkeys with pistols .
Strong and free
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

well we know theses idiots know how to start one hopefully they knew how to put it out did it get out of control? well I don't really know I'm not up there the reality is there's a campfire ban period i don't care if it was the pope and he was cold there's a ban plain and simple its not that difficult to figure out. Lets say it did get out of control and burn 30 houses down would you still say oh give them a break they're firefighters somehow I doubt it. Just because they don't have pistols doesn't mean theyre not monkeys
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Ban should be for all.
It's not unrealistic to think that campfire could get outta control where extra assistance is necessary, which only takes away resources from existing fires.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

The "Dirty Little Secret" about urban and wildland firefighters throughout N. America, is that the job attracts firebugs. An amazing number of fires -- after investigation -- turn out to be arson, started by firefighters. It makes sense that the job would be tantalizing to folks who get off on being near big fires.

The 1995 Garnet Fire in Penticton was started by a family member of one of the firefighters -- an officer of some kind, I recall. In the states, an average of 100 firefighters each year, are convicted of arson.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefighter_arson
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

OldIslander wrote:The "Dirty Little Secret" about urban and wildland firefighters throughout N. America, is that the job attracts firebugs. An amazing number of fires -- after investigation -- turn out to be arson, started by firefighters. It makes sense that the job would be tantalizing to folks who get off on being near big fires.

The 1995 Garnet Fire in Penticton was started by a family member of one of the firefighters -- an officer of some kind, I recall. In the states, an average of 100 firefighters each year, are convicted of arson.

This is garbage.

Yes, some people who start fires join the fire service, most don't. But sure, paint the fire service however you want. These fire fighters are spending their days and nights running into the fire that everyone else is running out of. I'm, in no way, condoning they behavior of breaking the rules. This is NOT the same as a cop speeding around in his car. Cops enforce the law. Fire fighters work to control and extinguish fires started, almost always started by someone else.
UhHuhYeahSure
Board Meister

Post by UhHuhYeahSure »

So whats new gang?

The government treats us like a bunch of imbeciles on so many levels.

In general, if 2% of the population truly are imbeciles, rules to govern their conduct are dropped on them and the 98% of the remaining population. But the 2% are too stupid to comply anyway. The remain 98% diligently sheeple along in grumbling compliance.

"Don't you know who we are?" Jeeezzz. Yup. I know what group you're in.

Sure Sure. They probably had:

- their fire "at least five feet of clearance (from branches above). Another great rule of thumb is to locate your fire two wing spans (two people standing fingertip to fingertip, arms outstretched) away from overhanging tree limbs, wood buildings etc."

- at the site they "Scrape down to the dirt and extend the cleared area for at least one metre around your fire. This is called a firebreak and will go a long way to preventing a whoopsie."

- their fire "can’t be bigger than 0.5 metres in height by 0.5 metres in diameter."

- and I'm sure they "Mark 0.5 metres on your axe handle for example. Whatever gets the job done."

- and they had "Always have at least eight litres of water or a shovel on hand in case your fire escapes."

Yes Folks...the rules for 2% of the imbeciles and for the rest of us, courtesy of you're all wise Emergency Mommy BC Government website.

I wouldn't lie to you... http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safet ... ire-safety

The love the "firebreak" and whoopsie comment. It reminds me of the nice doctors and the 2 fuzzy balls on wires plugged into the wall they put on my forehead at the nice hospital a few years back. And remember...Thy water jug shall be of 8 ltrs, not 6, nor shall it be 9.

And the "wing span! I love it! But is it a metric wingspan? Or European Wingspan? Left hand thread?

These clowns in the story are no more dangerous or safe than the 98% of us who use the backcountry. What picks my axe handle is the ever growing arrogance and self-empowerment of government types like these that is demonstrated here with flashing, glowing neon lights. The empire that IS the BC fire protection service is full of these guy, all self impressed on their own hero glory.
Everything I say to you is a lie. And that's the truth. Except this time.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

OldIslander wrote:The "Dirty Little Secret" about urban and wildland firefighters throughout N. America, is that the job attracts firebugs. An amazing number of fires -- after investigation -- turn out to be arson, started by firefighters. It makes sense that the job would be tantalizing to folks who get off on being near big fires.

The person who started the Garnet fire was handicap, his dad was a firefighter.

Return to “B.C.”