Where to buy solar eclipse glasses

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Where to buy solar eclipse glasses

Post by bob vernon »

There is a solar eclipse crossing North America in August. There will be approximately 80 to 85% of the sun shielded by the moon in southern BC with totality in the US. Does anyone know where we can buy some of those glasses that make it safe to look at the sun? I've asked in many obvious places and am surprised that I haven't found any stores that handle them.

Does anyone know of a vendor in the Okanagan who has these glasses? It's a huge opportunity to sell a large volume of them, but I haven't found any.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Where to buy solar eclipse glasses

Post by LTD »

any welding supply store even Canadian tire, home depot, rona
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 22nd, 2017, 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Just get yourself a big magnifying glass to get a close-up ;-) j/k. I saw Becky at LD the other day holding shades meant for the eclipse. Just wait, they will soon be available everywhere... else get some pro camera or astronomical filters or something. A Coronado telescope would be good. Some telescopes are meant just for looking at the sun :-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Sirius on Main St in Penticton is all about telescopes and that stuff. Pretty sure they will have something now if not soon. Other cities I would not know.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

personally I would rather just watch it on TV for two reasons.
1. your less likely to have the clouds blocking the view.
2. I only have one set of eyes, and I don't exactly trust such items to protect them.

If you must watch it in person, and are blessed with clear skies there are probably some low cost devices on line. Probably some DIY
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

stuphoto wrote:personally I would rather just watch it on TV for two reasons.
2. I only have one set of eyes, and I don't exactly trust such items to protect them.

If you must watch it in person, and are blessed with clear skies there are probably some low cost devices on line. Probably some DIY

To point 2- meh, we only live once. The astronomers of old didn't have technological advantages.

And to op, I got mine as an insert from Astronomy magazine 15 years ago. Doesn't help you now, sorry :)
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

LTD wrote:any welding supply store even Canadian tire, home depot, rona

I remember in 1979, they were giving out solar eclipse glasses with buckets of chicken from KFC. Only they were called Kentucky Fried Chicken at that point.
Not afraid to say "It".
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

stuphoto wrote:personally I would rather just watch it on TV for two reasons.

a welding lense is for blocking the exact same uv rays your eyes will be just fine
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

To get absolute full effect of the eclipse is to be as close to centre of it path.
http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/so ... pFull.html
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Anyone here gonna drive over the border? It is tempting to visit Utah or something. Have an eclipse and some celestial brides from Mormon town.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I think you have to order the brides post trip, you can't arrive and expect them to be given out at a moments notice. Especialy not to sketchy Canadians claiming they arrived for the celestial events.
:admin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Since this event is closes to our area in very long time (most of our lifetime).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

Go to Princess auto and grab a shade 11 welding lense. :biggrin:
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So last time a total eclipse was close to BC as the one south of us next month, was in 1979.
Took a look to see if another will come close, not in my lifetime.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... ted_States

Added Later: this is once in lifetime event, its just short trip southern Idaho/northern Oregon to witness and get the full experience of total eclipse.

Return to “B.C.”