Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Post by flamingfingers »

There will be a by-election probably in early February 2018. Who do you see as suitable candidates for representing your area?

I would take a chance and go with a Green Party candidate - depending on background, knowledge and commitment - someone who lives in the community and intends to stay there.

Any suggestions? Any views on who?
Chill
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Replacing West Kelowna MLA Christy

Post by GordonH »

If Ben Stewart is interested in his former mla seat, he could have it back. Central Okanagan tends to be BC Liberal territory.
Just look at the numbers
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

A house plant.it will win.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

mr.bandaid wrote:A house plant.it will win.

Well, they tried it last time.. how did that work for them?

Oh, just got the news from West Kelowna - it died last Friday!!
Chill
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

It's almost certainly going to be a BC Liberal. They have far too strong a level of support here to be usurped, despite what Clark did (with displacing Ben Stewart and then loosing/winning the 2017 election and the following shenanigans). Therefore, I'd hope that they'll find a candidate who fits the following:
1. Will serve the constituency first and foremost
2. Will have a strong backbone to stand up against bad ideas and for good ideas, no matter where they come from
3. Will actually know or get to know the people of Kelowna-West
4. Will use understanding and facts to make decisions in the interest of all of BC and not be a pawn of the party or donors
5. Gets to know the province and how the parts fit together, giving each the weight in proportion to the people involved
6. Is open and critically minded
7. Ethical to a fault
8. Highly intelligent and ideally well educated (formally or otherwise)

I have left out what I think are political leaning issues, as my views do not broadly fit with the BC Liberals (despite the fact that I am quite liberal indeed) and just included points which I think any political candidate for any party should fulfil.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

neilsimon wrote:It's almost certainly going to be a BC Liberal. They have far too strong a level of support here to be usurped, despite what Clark did (with displacing Ben Stewart and then loosing/winning the 2017 election and the following shenanigans). Therefore, I'd hope that they'll find a candidate who fits the following:
1. Will serve the constituency first and foremost
2. Will have a strong backbone to stand up against bad ideas and for good ideas, no matter where they come from
3. Will actually know or get to know the people of Kelowna-West
4. Will use understanding and facts to make decisions in the interest of all of BC and not be a pawn of the party or donors
5. Gets to know the province and how the parts fit together, giving each the weight in proportion to the people involved
6. Is open and critically minded
7. Ethical to a fault
8. Highly intelligent and ideally well educated (formally or otherwise)

I have left out what I think are political leaning issues, as my views do not broadly fit with the BC Liberals (despite the fact that I am quite liberal indeed) and just included points which I think any political candidate for any party should fulfil.

Good luck finding that politician..... :laugh:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

GordonH wrote:...
Good luck finding that politician..... :laugh:

It's funny, because I've known lots of politicians in my time and I can honestly say that I have met a few who meet the criteria, including those who do not share the same political views I do. I'm not going naming names, it's too politically divisive, but such people exist, but rarely ever succeed in politics.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

How much enthusiasm and energy would a Liberal candidate put forth to represent the West Kelowna electorate in the face of the fact he/she would be sitting in opposition without any ability to do anything to influence government decisions? A Green candidate on the other hand, in view of the alliance (NOT a coalition) could make a difference to the West Kelowna residents.
Chill
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Good luck finding that politician..... :laugh:

neilsimon wrote:It's funny, because I've known lots of politicians in my time and I can honestly say that I have met a few who meet the criteria, including those who do not share the same political views I do. I'm not going naming names, it's too politically divisive, but such people exist, but rarely ever succeed in politics.

I've been watching & listening to politicians for a number of decades. They all a comment thread of being bs' ing liars just so gullible voters will elect them.
Since our democracy needs them voters have to choose the liar they prefer.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

GordonH wrote:...
I've been watching & listening to politicians for a number of decades. They all a comment thread of being bs' ing liars just so gullible voters will elect them.

I wouldn't fault you on the majority of them, but there is the odd one in it for the right reasons who has principles and brains. The problem is that they often struggle against more charismatic snake oil salesmen.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

The former mayor of West Kelowna,
Would be a good candidate for the Greens or NDP.
They should run one candidate and see what happens.
Rosalind Neis.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

flamingfingers wrote:
mr.bandaid wrote:A house plant.it will win.

Well, they tried it last time.. how did that work for them?

Oh, just got the news from West Kelowna - it died last Friday!!

Your comment sounds like something uttered by the lady who is up on charges for death threats against Ms Clark.

It's a rather scary situation when people hope a political leader in this country is dead.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:I've been watching & listening to politicians for a number of decades. They all a comment thread of being bs' ing liars just so gullible voters will elect them.

neilsimon wrote:I wouldn't fault you on the majority of them, but there is the odd one in it for the right reasons who has principles and brains. The problem is that they often struggle against more charismatic snake oil salesmen.

If they do exist (as I see it is doubtful), the weasel/bs'ing snake oil salesperson's/politicians drown them out. So they become totally useless politicians, just sticking around to get there own gold plated pension. Just so going to either Victoria or Ottawa was not a complete waste of their time.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

flamingfingers wrote:How much enthusiasm and energy would a Liberal candidate put forth to represent the West Kelowna electorate in the face of the fact he/she would be sitting in opposition without any ability to do anything to influence government decisions? A Green candidate on the other hand, in view of the alliance (NOT a coalition) could make a difference to the West Kelowna residents.

You might be able to fool some, but I'm going to guess not many, as most see right through the motive here.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

You might be able to fool some, but I'm going to guess not many, as most see right through the motive here.

Yes indeed I see the motive here from the righties.

Return to “B.C.”