Apology for Gordon Wilson

mikest2
Lord of the Board

Re: Apology for Gordon Wilson

Post by mikest2 »

Off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Aug 18th, 2017, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

I'll answer that, mike. I believe ff was speaking of 'we, the people who actually know what a tempest in a teapot this is'. Everyone who has lived in B.C. for the past quarter century, including Mike Smyth and Harvey Oberfeld, know that Wilson's reputation was tarnished long ago. He tarnished it himself.

Smyth is a reporter who writes a political column in the Province. He loves to dish the dirt no matter which party is in the hot seat, but he really prefers to attack the NDP. I think it has something to do with his bosses' political bent. I haven't read Harvey's blog lately but he, like Mike, loves to see his readership increase and watch those comments roll in. I doubt if those guys read any of the hilarious comments on this thread, but if they do, I'm sure they're getting more than a few laughs out of the drama shown by the Wilson 'reputation protectors'.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

It may not even go to court, JT will just give him $10M, or the courts will decide in favour of Gordon. Horgan will pay is my bet. Seeing he hates anyone who is pro fossil fuels and common sense and can't hold his tongue, he will get a new hole ripped in him.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

flamingfingers wrote:It's highly doubtful Wilson will get anything near what he hopes he might get. If in fact he gets anything at all!!

This is too funny.

If Premier Clark had acted like a bully and made disparaging comments like John Horgan was so careless to do, you would have ripped her apart.

Who knows how much Wilson will win (and he will win) but one thing is for certain; this is very, very bad for Horgan and the NDP.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

"IF" Premier Clark had acted like a bully..........LOL. I guess you never watched her in Question Period, on the rare days she showed up. Don't believe me? Check out the Hansard archives. I don't think you know what the word 'bully' means. Wilson did zilch for his $550,000 and he deserved to be called on it, although it shouldn't have been made public.That was the mistake the NDP made.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The "nothing to see here" NDP crowd know full well that when Horgan, Blaney, and Ralston uttered those untruths about Gordon Wilson they did so with the intent of harming his reputation. They were spreading a false narrative and using that narrative to discredit Wilson. To say the things that they said was reckless, irresponsible, and defamatory.

Those on here who have been defending those three, or who have told us that their actions are but a tempest in a teapot, have exposed the fact that for them hyper-partisanship trumps right and wrong. We say that we expect more from our elected leaders but how about we start with ourselves? That means NOT defending the indefensible even if it's our side doing the indefensible things.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

That means NOT defending the indefensible even if it's our side doing the indefensible things.

if you truly believe that then how much money should the slandered health workers get ? and should clark facr civil suit for failure to make a personal apology ?
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

^^Yes, at least Horgan and Ralston apologized. Clark didn't even have the moral principle to do that. She should have been slapped with a wrongful death suit. All the NDP did was make a mistake by telling the media what should have been a private matter between Wilson and themselves. Now that Wilson has made a 'federal case' out of it, he's going to get yet another black mark against a reputation that was already in tatters........thanks to his own stupidity, I might add.

This is not a partisan comment; it's simply a common sense comment, as we are about to find out, I'm sure.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

lasnomadas wrote:^^Yes, at least Horgan and Ralston apologized. Clark didn't even have the moral principle to do that. She should have been slapped with a wrongful death suit. All the NDP did was make a mistake by telling the media what should have been a private matter between Wilson and themselves. Now that Wilson has made a 'federal case' out of it, he's going to get yet another black mark against a reputation that was already in tatters........thanks to his own stupidity, I might add.

This is not a partisan comment; it's simply a common sense comment, as we are about to find out, I'm sure.
No elected officials fired the health care workers but this thread isn't about Christy Clark. It's about the egregious errors made by Horgan, Ralston, and Blaney when they uttered untruths about Gordon Wilson. They have apologized but as evidenced by some of the over-the-top comments on here and on Twitter much damage was done to Wilson's reputation. He will win his case and he's likely to win a big settlement.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^Don't be too sure about that, Urbane:

Special pleas in mitigation of damages for libel
6 (1) In an action for libel in a newspaper or other periodical publication the defendant may plead in mitigation of damages that the libel was inserted in the newspaper or other periodical publication without actual malice and without gross negligence, and

(a) that before the commencement of the action, or at the earliest opportunity afterwards, the defendant inserted in the newspaper or other periodical publication a full apology for the libel, or
(b) if the newspaper or periodical publication in which the libel appeared is one ordinarily published at intervals exceeding one week, that the defendant offered to publish the apology in a newspaper or periodical publication to be selected by the plaintiff in the action.
(2) In an action for a libel in a broadcast, the defendant may plead in mitigation of damages that the libel was broadcast without actual malice and without gross negligence and that before the commencement of the action, or at the earliest opportunity afterwards, the defendant broadcast a full apology for the libel.

Proving offer of written apology in mitigation of damages
10 In an action for defamation if the defendant has pleaded not guilty, if judgment has been given against the defendant with damages to be assessed, or the defendant admits the defamation, the defendant may give in evidence in mitigation of damages, that the defendant made or offered a written or printed apology to the plaintiff for the defamation before the commencement of the action, or if the action was commenced before there was an opportunity of making or offering the apology, that the defendant did so as soon afterwards as the defendant had opportunity.

http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/ ... #section10
Chill
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

lasnomadas wrote:Wilson did zilch for his $550,000.
Continuing to prove the case.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Horgan and Ralston retracted their comments and apologized to Wilson virtually within hours. Days later Wilson filed a suit for defamation and harm to his reputation. I don't think Wilson has much of a chance of cashing in on his suit.
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:Horgan and Ralston retracted their comments and apologized to Wilson virtually within hours. Days later Wilson filed a suit for defamation and harm to his reputation. I don't think Wilson has much of a chance of cashing in on his suit.
Just look at all the posters on here attacking Wilson as a direct result of the untruths uttered by Horgan and company. Damage has been done to Gordon Wilson's reputation. No question. Will he collect $5 million? Probably not but he will win his case, if it goes to court, and one way or the other he'll collect a tidy sum. Gutter politics as Mike Smyth called it and from an NDP government that promised to do things differently. Ha! Now we know they meant differently as in worse!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Well, if Wilson has such a pristine and positive 'reputation' would you not see a veritable flood of support for him on this forum???
Chill
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

flamingfingers wrote:Well, if Wilson has such a pristine and positive 'reputation' would you not see a veritable flood of support for him on this forum???
Most of us are staying on topic and not wandering off to praise or (in the case of some NDP'ers on here) insult Wilson. Erinmore, many pages back, explained defamation as it relates to this case and he did a great job. I suggest you go back and read what he had to say on the matter.

Return to “B.C.”