Grizzly bears.

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Grizzly bears.

Post by Queen K »

See Rwede. Another point of agreement. We don't always clash :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Queen K wrote:Agreed. Trophy hunting was unheard of in our house, which was full of guns and fishing equipment. Never ever had animal parts mounted on any wall. I do go into many houses though and see all kinds of trophies. I know where there is (was?) a HUGE polar bear hide, professionally done back in the 1960s, for sale. They wanted $5,000 a year ago. I can't imagine how anyone in todays World wanting it.

I killed a whitetailed doe for my freezer this year - it is a trophy to me, because it is feeding my family, and the experience of taking responsibility for the food we eat and sharing that experience with my wife who also shot a nice deer on that trip was tremendous.

There's no such thing as "trophy hunting." That is simply a moniker devised by anti-hunting groups that try to smear the image of the people who actually do all the conservation work and fund all the COs and wildlife biologists in this province.

Stop heaping shame on people whose lifestyles differ from yours.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Rwede wrote:
Queen K wrote:Agreed. Trophy hunting was unheard of in our house, which was full of guns and fishing equipment. Never ever had animal parts mounted on any wall. I do go into many houses though and see all kinds of trophies. I know where there is (was?) a HUGE polar bear hide, professionally done back in the 1960s, for sale. They wanted $5,000 a year ago. I can't imagine how anyone in todays World wanting it.

I killed a whitetailed doe for my freezer this year - it is a trophy to me, because it is feeding my family, and the experience of taking responsibility for the food we eat and sharing that experience with my wife who also shot a nice deer on that trip was tremendous.

There's no such thing as "trophy hunting." That is simply a moniker devised by anti-hunting groups that try to smear the image of the people who actually do all the conservation work and fund all the COs and wildlife biologists in this province.

Stop heaping shame on people whose lifestyles differ from yours.

Of course there's such a thing as 'trophy hunting'. If you're a hunter, you must have seen evidence of that many times when you witness carcasses of wildlife laying abandoned in the bush with their heads removed.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Cactusflower wrote:Of course there's such a thing as 'trophy hunting'. If you're a hunter, you must have seen evidence of that many times when you witness carcasses of wildlife laying abandoned in the bush with their heads removed.

No. Only one I've found is when first nations had removed only part of the carcass for a ceremonial purpose. 99.9% of first nations hunters utilize the whole animal like I do. The elders would pound the hell out of those who left any utilizable parts behind if they found out.

It's illegal to leave ungulate carcasses behind and only remove the head. Even hunters who select a mature animal remove 100% of the edible portions.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Rwede wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:Of course there's such a thing as 'trophy hunting'. If you're a hunter, you must have seen evidence of that many times when you witness carcasses of wildlife laying abandoned in the bush with their heads removed.

No. Only one I've found is when first nations had removed only part of the carcass for a ceremonial purpose. 99.9% of first nations hunters utilize the whole animal like I do.

It's illegal to leave ungulate carcasses behind and only remove the head. Even hunters who select a mature animal remove 100% of the edible portions.

Or bury them. I wasn't referring to FN hunters; I was referring to the foreign trophy hunters who have been taking wildlife heads to mount on their walls for years. Their 'guides' are probably the ones who bury the evidence.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Bsuds wrote:
Sparki55 wrote: The rest of the grocery store goers are just jumping on a bandwagon of a feel good cause trying to stick it to the dirty hunter who kills because he is barbaric.

That is what someone who kills just for the trophy/pleasure is...Barbaric!

There is no other explanation.

Hunting for meat is also banned. Unless there is scientific reason for this I will never agree. Bear sausage is great!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Cactusflower wrote:
Or bury them. I wasn't referring to FN hunters; I was referring to the foreign trophy hunters who have been taking wildlife heads to mount on their walls for years. Their 'guides' are probably the ones who bury the evidence.

There's this massive buck hanging around my house. He's a trophy deer. Everyone hunter on earth would agree, and not just because he's the biggest deer I've ever seen. All hunting is trophy hunting. Some trophies are more impressive than others.

If and when he's shot, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the trophy is mounted.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Cactusflower wrote:Or bury them. I wasn't referring to FN hunters; I was referring to the foreign trophy hunters who have been taking wildlife heads to mount on their walls for years. Their 'guides' are probably the ones who bury the evidence.

All edible portions must be removed. All edible portions must accompany the species license. Your post has zero validity. CITES permits for the cape and antlers must account for the meat. The outfitter must file all reports dealing with each kill. Your conjecture shows that you know absolutely nothing about the subject nor the requirements under the law.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Sparki55 wrote:Hunting for meat is also banned. Unless there is scientific reason for this I will never agree. Bear sausage is great!

Carnivores have never been acceptable food for humans. I'm sure there's some scientific proof of that somewhere, but I'm only stating factual common sense.

And, 'Gone_Fishin', have you ever heard the old saying, '"Rules were made to be broken"? Well, some people actually believe that to be true.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Cactusflower wrote:
Sparki55 wrote:Hunting for meat is also banned. Unless there is scientific reason for this I will never agree. Bear sausage is great!

Carnivores have never been acceptable food for humans. I'm sure there's some scientific proof of that somewhere, but I'm only stating factual common sense.

And, 'Gone_Fishin', have you ever heard the old saying, '"Rules were made to be broken"? Well, some people actually believe that to be true.

I eat bear and cougar. The meat is among the finest. Just because you're a guy who won't eat anything unless it comes in a plastic wrapper doesn't allow you to dictate what I can and can't eat.

Hunters don't break rules. Poachers do, but what what poachers do has nothing to do with hunting.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Cactusflower wrote:

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/dining-on-black-bear
https://www.livestrong.com/article/553944-is-bear-elk-or-buffalo-meat-the-healthiest/

The good news is that bear meat is otherwise quite healthy for you. According to Health Canada’s Canadian Nutrient File, black bear meat compares favourably with venison (deer, elk, moose and caribou) with 128 calories, four grams of fat, 33 grams of protein and 98 milligrams of cholesterol per 100-gram serving, despite the apparent fattiness.

Do some :cuss: research before you spew your misinformation on people. Any meat that is from an omnivore (pigs, chickens) can contain a parasitic worm which can cause issues in humans; good thing is we invented fire, and cooking and with the latest tech, thermometers to check the internal temp of meat! :200: So make sure its cooked and enjoy!
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Rwede wrote:
I eat bear and cougar. The meat is among the finest. Just because you're a guy who won't eat anything unless it comes in a plastic wrapper doesn't allow you to dictate what I can and can't eat.

Hunters don't break rules. Poachers do, but what what poachers do has nothing to do with hunting.

Nor can you assume what I eat. My spouse still raves about the venison stew I made years ago. I much prefer elk meat to beef, although I haven't eaten any wild game for years, and I don't like the elk that's grown on 'farms' on the prairies. I've been fortunate enough to be invited to a few Fish and Game Club dinners in the past, but I steered clear of the bear meat. Never saw any feline or canine meat on the menu. I have always believed that humans should not eat carnivores. But if others want to eat it, that's fine with me.

BTW, I've always considered 'poaching' to be not only hunting without a licence, but trophy hunting with a guide.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I personally have eaten some very fine Cougar. I didn't think I would like it, but I did. It was while I was attending a function in Rutland years ago, that I was invited to, that all wild game hunters gather every year at a hall (I won't tell you where or when) and share their game meats with others.
I am a really picky eater with a very sensitive stomach, but I did enjoy some excellent meats. Personally, I wouldn't go out and kill one for myself, but I sure enjoyed the smorgasboard of things that I had never tried before. I have had a new understanding and appreciation of wild meat ever since.
The cougar was by far, my favourite.

I have also had KFC in China, and the "C" does not stand for Chicken.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

People are omnivores and eat them as well and carnivores have been served up in wildlife banquets. I've eaten a variety and haven't found anything I dislike so far.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i posted links to non native hunter guides on here taking people out for trophy hunts getting caught breaking the hunting rules . There most definatly is trophy hunting as guides advertise it

https://www.google.ca/search?q=trophy+h ... 0339904461

https://www.google.ca/search?q=trophy+h ... 0339904461

http://www.trophywest.com/

http://www.bcguideoutfitters.com/huntingpackages.html

Return to “B.C.”