Time to cap OIC appontees golden handshakes

flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Time to cap OIC appontees golden handshakes

Post by flamingfingers »

Gordo and Christy quite 'liberal' in using OICs to appoint staffers in government. These appointments came with the full understanding their employment would end if there was a change in government. Why were they given such generous contract benefits that the taxpayer was obliged to pay?

Severance packages for fired B.C. Liberals cost taxpayers millions

Rob Shaw ROB SHAW
More from Rob Shaw
Published on: July 21, 2017 | Last Updated: July 21, 2017 4:08 PM PDT

Premier John Horgan's government paid $11 million in severance packages to fire 133 Liberal appointees. CHAD HIPOLITO /
VICTORIA — The new NDP government’s transition to power cost taxpayers $11.3 million in severance packages for fired Liberal political staffers.

The NDP terminated 133 Liberal appointees, including ministerial assistants, public relations staffers and a few deputy ministers.

The total bill for severance packages was $11,322,206, the government revealed Friday, or an average of about $85,000 per person.

That figure does not include any severance paid to B.C. Hydro CEO Jessica McDonald, who was fired by Hydro’s board on Friday. Her severance package is expected to be particularly large, because she earned $528,342 in pay, benefits and pension in the last fiscal year. Any severance would go on Hydro’s financial books, and not those of government.

In 2001, when the B.C. Liberals transitioned in to power after defeating the NDP, the severance bill was $9 million, which, adjusted for inflation, puts it slightly higher than the amount spent by the NDP.

The government says the initial round of terminations stemming from the transition are largely over, and future departures from government will be voluntary.

http://vancouversun.com/news/politics/s ... s-millions

This is over and above the 100 plus Liberal employees that Christy fired after losing the confidence vote.
Chill
Veovis
Guru

Re: Time to cap OIC appontees golden handshakes

Post by Veovis »

Why just today I heard clips of your beloved John Horgan talking about how the changes are equivalent to when his party (literally no changes) went out last time in regards to costs.

HE also said that the slander was no big deal and that saying "sorry" should erase slander.

However it is funny that you want to blame everyone else other than the party you support, for doing things THEY are doing.

That's the attitude of a person who puts poison out for the neighbors pets and then blames the pets for walking near the yard and eating the poisoned food left out front.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

No changes will ever come, I've heard this same bs for decades about both gold plated pensions... golden handshakes etc... etc. All elected Party's that run either a Province or Canada continue to give both out like candy.
Last edited by GordonH on Sep 14th, 2017, 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Veovis wrote:Why just today I heard clips of your beloved John Horgan talking about how the changes are equivalent to when his party (literally no changes) went out last time in regards to costs.

HE also said that the slander was no big deal and that saying "sorry" should erase slander.

However it is funny that you want to blame everyone else other than the party you support, for doing things THEY are doing.

That's the attitude of a person who puts poison out for the neighbors pets and then blames the pets for walking near the yard and eating the poisoned food left out front.

Are you able to post a link to what you mentioned in your first line? Thanks.

Off topic
Last edited by dieseluphammerdown on Sep 14th, 2017, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: baiting
Chill
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

the interview was from 1150 but they stated it was from cfax. Around 245 today
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

flamingfingers wrote:Are you able to post a link to what you mentioned in your first line? Thanks.

Here you go:
http://www.iheartradio.ca/cfax-1070/sit ... b=audiocut

Sidenote, I really like where Mr Horgan says he has an upcoming fundraiser that is not cash for access, but there is a ticket price. My lord, this just gets better every day !
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Not "cash for access" because anyone is able to pay him for the access.....it's different somehow.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Veovis wrote:Not "cash for access" because anyone is able to pay him for the access.....it's different somehow.

Of course it's different he's not a Liberal. :biggrin:

All's fair in NDP land. [icon_lol2.gif]

When I think of an outgoing party saddling the incoming one with excess baggage, the NDP backroom deal with the BCTF rises to the fore. Cost a crap load more than these golden handshakes too.

Easy solution if they want to save 11 million, don't fire them. LOL
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 15th, 2017, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 15th, 2017, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: response to removed post

Return to “B.C.”