The word squaw in BC schools

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

The word squaw in BC schools

Post by maryjane48 »

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/brit ... -1.4294224

The Vancouver School Board says it's looking into the circumstances in which educational materials were used in a secondary school classroom after an Indigenous mother tweeted about the exercise, describing it as "heart wrenching
techrtr
Übergod

Re: The word squaw in BC schools

Post by techrtr »

I think they're missing the point. The book was written in the 1850's and is being used to illustrate inappropriate use of words like "Squaw." In fact, Squaw is an Algonquian word which simply means "woman." Obviously, when Europeans arrived they learned it from native speakers just like they learned words like toboggan, hickory, or Saskatchewan. It all depends on how it's used. If it's used in a derogatory way, that's wrong. Every teenager I know uses the word "*bleep*" or "beeotch" to describe women in general. Perhaps we should ban that word from the English language as well as any book or song that uses it in its lyrics.
Last edited by techrtr on Sep 19th, 2017, 6:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Do these people seriously have nothing better to do then find anything and everything to get offended by? Good grief!
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I know lots of Squaws that have had Papooses with their Bucks.
Grew up in Saskatchewan, going to School with Indians.

GodFather and GodMother, Principal and Teacher in a 80-90% Native School

Cousins that went on to work in Indian Affairs.

My Indian friends call themselves Indians and get offended at the term 'First Nations"

I dare not use the term around them, they are my friends I grew up with.

They are comfortable in their own skin, and proud !

People need to get over themselves.....
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Though I feel there needs to be an approved standardised curriculum for these classes this is however a desire to be offended not an actual offensive act.

Note she didn't care about any of the other racism, it was custom made as an attack on her. Silly.

I'm sure the next time she goes out for dinner we'll hear how "It was a totally kick in the shins, I just went to eat and they asked if I had a "reservation" how dare they!!!!"
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Veovis wrote: "It was a totally kick in the shins, I just went to eat and they asked if I had a "reservation" how dare they!!!!"

Priceless,
If I use that twice, correctly, with my Indian friends
what do I owe in return ?
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

term is outdated and should only be used in historical context.

Its 2017 for goodness sakes. Move along, the word is not a good one. How about calling a native woman a woman?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Chyren wrote:term is outdated and should only be used in historical context.

Its 2017 for goodness sakes. Move along, the word is not a good one. How about calling a native woman a woman?

The word fa ggot meant a pile of wood or a cigarette as well. Should we "just forget about it" as you say or understand history and current realities.

Without history we have no understanding of development, the fact that we need to teach the past means looking at things that were not always a pretty thing to look at. I know the revisionists want the past to be sparkles and happiness but it was war and racism and the sooner we learn from it and not hide from it the sooner we can be better.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The racism part is not so much past, as politely covered up. I can't believe what I see on fb for racism.

Puzzled here, English is the great lingual absorber from all languages, what is wrong with taking in native words without meaning them to be used in a perjorative manner?

Likely because "squaw" always was a perjorative, even in Algonquain?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

There is the word of the day:
Pejorative:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pejorative

Oh boy, I use lots of words, intonations, phrases and remarks that fit
that word quite well...

Who knew ?

So then, A "First Nations " man could call his female partner "Squaw"
as long as no one else does.
or
Some man calling his "The Ol' Lady",
"The Old Ball and Chain", etc,

To what end ?

Does it end at first (and or) last name basis only ?
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Veovis wrote:
Chyren wrote:term is outdated and should only be used in historical context.

The word fa ggot meant a pile of wood or a cigarette as well. Should we "just forget about it" as you say or understand history and current realities.

Without history we have no understanding of development, the fact that we need to teach the past means looking at things that were not always a pretty thing to look at. I know the revisionists want the past to be sparkles and happiness but it was war and racism and the sooner we learn from it and not hide from it the sooner we can be better.

Didn't I clearly say that it could be used in an historical context? I'm confused?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

dirtybiker wrote:There is the word of the day:
Pejorative:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pejorative

Oh boy, I use lots of words, intonations, phrases and remarks that fit
that word quite well...

Who knew ?

So then, A "First Nations " man could call his female partner "Squaw"
as long as no one else does.
or
Some man calling his "The Ol' Lady",
"The Old Ball and Chain", etc,

To what end ?

Does it end at first (and or) last name basis only ?

It's funny you bring this up, I actually detest hearing couples referring to their partners as "old lady" or "my old man." Detest is mild in fact.

I've tried to put this into Castanet context too, GB would never say, "there's this squaw I talk to on the forums" no more than you'd say, "QK? Ya, I've met that squaw."

So ummm, Chyren's got a point about historical context and usage.

I've never read Susan Moodie's book either, might have to put it on the wish list, it will materialize somewhere, the universe coughs it up when I do that.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

*cough*
https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/moo ... 300-e.html
:D
ETA:
Oops, that was only a partial. But there are links to her other works there, and a bit of a bio.

*COUGH*
https://www.gutenberg.ca/ebooks/moodie- ... -00-h.html
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

*COUGH*

I've never read the book brought forward in this particular thread. I am aware she wrote several.

*Cough*

:up:

Return to “B.C.”