SFU to drop the word clan

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

SFU to drop the word clan

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#207312 :swear: :swear: :swear: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: what a f up world we live in, be proud of you heritage as long as you are not white and scottish
Last edited by the truth on Sep 22nd, 2017, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: sfu to drop the word clan

Post by Queen K »

SFU spokesman Kurt Heinrich says the university is reviewing the situation and will consider what further steps, if any, might be taken to avoid possible misunderstandings related to the name.

Here's an idea, don't let idiots into SFU. Do an intelligence test to see if they understand the difference between Clan and Klan.

Yes? Okay then.
No? Move on.

Really, this unfrikken believable. :swear:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

thank you sfu , the over educated over thinking morons , great job keep on doing what you do best, the more schooling you have the dumbmer you get, great job keep it up
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

When you read the story they are more concerned with the "US" teams they play against misconstruing the name Clan with Klan.

Considering the intelligence level of the US Teams and spectators I can easily see this being a problem.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

so how many hundreds of years was clan before klan , you over educated in charge of this issue are 100 percent useless
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Unbelievable, as one of Scots heritage, as a member of clan, I am offended by the mere thought of this. I guess I'd better get used to the word "plaid", as "tartan" may offend some young woman. Political correctness (oxymoron) has now become political defensiveness. For the record, I'd prefer the Clansmen to play three downs...............
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
bob57

Post by bob57 »

Just like new age thinkers wanting to re-write history. So like the Americans. Should this actually take place then every thing with a "Clan" attached to it will follow suit. Like "ClanWilliam Creek" south of Revelstoke. Or Clan of the Cavebear....
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Gotta wonder if they're trying to push the entire PC thing about team names so far into the realm of the ridiculous, everyone will have to see it for what it is.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Looking at Professional NA sports Franchises (possible PC):
NBA) 1 this is very borderline Golden State Warriors
CFL) 1 that fits Edmonton Eskimos
NFL) 2 that fits Washington Redskins & Kansas City Chiefs
NHL) 1 that fits Chicago Blackhawks
MLB) 2 that fits Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians
This is off the top of my head, if I missed any my bad. Will any of the owners be changing the name highly doubtful.

Added later: Every human on this planet has a Clan/Family tree
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

bingo :up:
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Post by Walking Wounded »

SFU should drop the word university from their name, it is offensive that crap like this comes from a supposed place of higher learning.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Re: SFU to drop the word clan

Post by Urbane »

The notion that some people are so misinformed as to think that Scottish Clans are somehow connected to the Ku Klux Klan is laughable. Not to mention insulting. If there really are people who don't know the difference one would hope that educating them would be the solution rather than changing the name from Clan.

How about the UVic Vikings? Did the Vikings of old measure up to our modern standards of behaviour? I've heard a lot of stories about raping and pillaging. I don't know . . .

I really wonder about the mindset of many who are involved with universities these days. I'm glad I graduated when I did because I really wouldn't want to be involved with a university these days. Too depressing.

As a side note, there's a move afoot to change the name of the USC Trojans' horse that runs along the sidelines after every Trojan TD. His name is Traveller and . . . that . . . was the name of General Robert E. Lee's horse.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Urbane wrote:I really wonder about the mindset of many who are involved with universities these days. I'm glad I graduated when I did because I really wouldn't want to be involved with a university these days. Too depressing.

Amen to that. :up:

Too many lunatics and not enough asylums. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

"Scottish Canadians" make up a little over 15% of the population of canada - to the tune of 4.7 million Canadians. The earliest documented source of Scots being in Canada dates back to 1010, where Vikings used Scot slaves to ensure they wouldn't be attacked on the shores of Newfoundland.

Scots identify themselves by their clan. It's their family, their heritage. My family hails from two clans, has a distinct tartan, a family crest, and a family motto. You will be hard-pressed to find anyone in Canada of Scottish blood that does not at least know from which clan their forefathers hail.

Stripping this team's name, because the word "clan" may be confused with "klan", hearkens to stripping the identity from a portion of the population. We have another group in our midst that has fought (and continues to do so) to regain their identity. SFU offers studies in First Nations, and Holly Andersen herself has even published a paper that involves a case study of one First Nations group.

For a professor, teaching at an institution such as SFU, to suggest that one group of Canadians is welcome to their identity but another group is not is absolutely disgusting.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

just another professor out of touch with reality , they keep on proving me right, the more degrees they have the dumber they are

Return to “B.C.”