BC orcas in trouble

maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

BC orcas in trouble

Post by maryjane48 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/207817 ... -BC-whales

well after people like dr suzuki warned us about this we now see it coming true . more ships full of poison as in dilbit increases and fishfarms in the ocean the orcas will be gone forever. good job bclibs. hope your proud :up:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Bc orcas in trouble

Post by Fancy »

maryjane48 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/207817/Bad-news-for-BC-whales

well after people like dr suzuki warned us about this we now see it coming true . more ships full of poison as in dilbit increases and fishfarms in the ocean the orcas will be gone forever. good job bclibs. hope your proud :up:

Maybe read the whole article:
“There is enough salmon in the ocean right now to support this population, we believe. But the problem is that it’s not concentrated in places where the whales can efficiently get at it,” said Barrett-Leonard.

More:

Many runs of Chinook salmon along West Coast are listed as threatened or endangered due to a host of factors, including loss of habitat from urban development, dams, fishing, pollution and competition from non-native fish.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4183609
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 29th, 2017, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 29th, 2017, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

*removed* I have to agree. This is a serious issue. I am afraid we will see both the local orca and salmon population in that part of the world disappear and that is incredibly concerning. Bio diversity is needed to maintain the food cycle and we will all be in trouble if this can't be fixed.

what the answer is I have no idea
Last edited by ferri on Sep 29th, 2017, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cactusflower
Banned

Re: BC orcas in trouble

Post by Cactusflower »

Some of the answers are, restricting shipping and cruise ship traffic in the vicinity where the Orca's hunt and feed, and taking the Atlantic salmon farms out of the ocean so that the Orcas' main food source, wild Pacific salmon, is not in danger of becoming extinct.
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

maryjane48 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/207817/Bad-news-for-BC-whales

One thing I have learned after living in the wilds for many years is that nature has cycles. Species wax and wane in populations. Humans would probably be doing the same if it were not for modern medicines and modern farming techniques. I have witnessed massive overpopulations for a few years and then they disappear or are in reduced numbers the following years. This is the way of the world. To blame it on other factors is naïve in my opinion anyway.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

IMO, you should contact Alexandra Morton and gain some knowledge about our resident Orcas and wild salmon, and how sea pen fish farms, shipping, and over-all pollution has played havoc with them.

Return to “B.C.”